Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38

Author Topic: Procedurally Generated Mafia- GAME OVER MAFIA WIN  (Read 76263 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally Generated Mafia - Day 1 - Soft Weekend Start
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2017, 11:46:22 am »

Wow lots of people I dont know. TDS; everyone how are ya gonna treat the game with what seems to be 50% out of context content? How will you also see the day game? And how would you define "scum"; by the book 'scumtells' or otherwise?
(I've met in mafias, I'm certain! Or time-wasted here/elsewhere roughly similar. But forget which game(s) exactly, without looking it up. Too long a gap to recall.)

Mulling it lightly, evidently randomnesses in setup harms our regular knowhows. I'm not done analysing character options, placing my own function exactly. 'Til then, I'll probably just chatter until the first night unless someone has a better railroading method in mind. (Yeah, abducating responsibility, but wanted to at least check in.)

@Ninja-ey NJW2K: 1) Define useless, but each to their own. 2) Yes, or half the list, perhaps, to allow "complete the title you want to claim" handshaking to weed out falsehoods.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2017, 01:27:10 pm »

1) Useless night actions: do people think town should use them?

2) Regarding census takers: if someone can get a list of all the roles in play, should they post it at once?

Well, I agree with you on 2. I believe town will benefit from it more than scum will.

For one, though, I think it depends. On the answer to this question.

NQT: How many actions can a player use per night? Are they permanently restricted to one action no matter how many abilities they have, or if they acquire an additional ability, can they use both abilities they have in the same night?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2017, 02:00:28 pm »

@Ninja-ey NJW2K: 1) Define useless, but each to their own.
In case this was non-rhetorical, I mean the sort of "no impact unless someone else gets involved" roles you can get, like

The Only Pacifist
Once per night you can inform your target of a dead player's name. Action: Inform.
or

Elite MUP
Once per night you can give a copy of this ability to your target's target. Action: Gift.

... looking at it, seems like the generator has been rerigged to not give as many of those abilities. Ho hum.
One wheel short of a wagon

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2017, 02:12:53 pm »

From the stranger ones I've seen, I get the impression that imagination of use is still practical even with the nonsensical ones. Depending on action-order, even the informing the dead one might be useful, in the right circumstances.

But I'm also glad I'm not lumbered with it.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2017, 02:15:22 pm »

NQT: How many actions can a player use per night? Are they permanently restricted to one action no matter how many abilities they have, or if they acquire an additional ability, can they use both abilities they have in the same night?
Players can only use one action a phase. If they have more than one action (like SKs and Mafia can) then they have to choose what to use. Anyone can be brainwashed into performing extra actions in a phase, and some actions can state in their description that they can be used more than once in a phase.

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2017, 06:03:47 pm »

NQT; Quick question: Will you reveal a dead character's alignment if they die at night, and who they were? I am a bit new, after all.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:07:50 pm by kingawsume »
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2017, 06:15:05 pm »

NQT; Quick question: Will you reveal a dead character's alignment if they die at night, and who they were? I am a bit new, after all.
Yes, there's a full reveal of role, abilities and alignment on death.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2017, 06:43:09 pm »

Right, I'm going to fail to practise what I preach below, and talk about powers.
1) Useless night actions: do people think town should use them?
I think not. They will make it harder for town to have clear information or understanding of what went on.
I think they should. There's a few ways of gaining alibis for the mafiakill with them (stuff that triggers if you target a particular person, for example). In particular:
In case this was non-rhetorical, I mean the sort of "no impact unless someone else gets involved" roles you can get, like

The Only Pacifist
Once per night you can inform your target of a dead player's name. Action: Inform.
or

Elite MUP
Once per night you can give a copy of this ability to your target's target. Action: Gift.

... looking at it, seems like the generator has been rerigged to not give as many of those abilities. Ho hum.
These abilities are actually confirmable by other players, so can definitely be used to prove you didn't do the mafiakill. If you have an ability like this and don't use it, I will strongly suspect you were using a kill instead.

In fact, since the majority of players seem to receive a night action and many of them leave evidence it may actually be possible to identify the mafiakill user by process of elimination later on in the game. Everyone should definitely be using their abilities.
2) Regarding census takers: if someone can get a list of all the roles in play, should they post it at once?
I don't see why not. Knowing about a chaotic or disruptive role will benefit town more than scum. And town will benefit more from knowing what might have happened on a certain night.
I'd say the answer is no, for two reasons.
1. Revealing the list gives the mafia a much better idea of what they have to avoid and what lies they can safely make.
2. The threat of a role list existing should discourage the mafia from falseclaiming even if there isn't actually anyone who can generate a role list in the game. If we all agree that someone with a role list should claim immediately then the absence of a claim would prove that no-one in the game has that ability, meaning the scum could falseclaim freely. I'd rather leave it ambiguous until we reach what is likely to be a "lynch mafia or lose" situation.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2017, 06:56:31 pm »

These abilities are actually confirmable by other players, so can definitely be used to prove you didn't do the mafiakill. If you have an ability like this and don't use it, I will strongly suspect you were using a kill instead.

In fact, since the majority of players seem to receive a night action and many of them leave evidence it may actually be possible to identify the mafiakill user by process of elimination later on in the game.
Basically my reasoning for liking people to use abilities like this.

1. Revealing the list gives the mafia a much better idea of what they have to avoid and what lies they can safely make.
2. The threat of a role list existing should discourage the mafia from falseclaiming even if there isn't actually anyone who can generate a role list in the game. If we all agree that someone with a role list should claim immediately then the absence of a claim would prove that no-one in the game has that ability, meaning the scum could falseclaim freely. I'd rather leave it ambiguous until we reach what is likely to be a "lynch mafia or lose" situation.
Huh, I didn't think about that. Interesting reasoning.

And of course, there's the fact that if the mafia do false claim, the person with the role list can confront the mafia player with it.
~~~
Maximum Spin: So what do you think about role list powers?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2017, 07:00:05 pm »

I'm still firing up the generator for fun... and I found another typo.

Black Hearted Anti-Matter
Once per night you can brainwash yourself into performing a random action that they're capable of on your target's target. Action: Brainwash.
Generic Arms Race.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2017, 07:01:30 pm »

I don't think anybody should precommit to anything. I know I certainly won't. I will or will not use abilities as I see fit at the moment. So I'd say, if I hypothetically had such a power, I might post it or might not, depending.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2017, 07:02:58 pm »

Depending on the circumstances, you mean?
Generic Arms Race.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2017, 07:18:03 pm »

More errors:

Radioactive Assembly-Worker
Once per game you can perform a random action that two targets is capable of on two targets. Action: Mimic.

Four Masked Mafioso
Once per day you can redirect the actions of yourself to themselves. Action: Redirect.

Critical errors:

Cryptic Robot
Once per night you can yourself until the next lynch. Action: Trick.

Insane Gambler
Once per night you can two targets until the next lynch. Action: Trick.

The game beginning is no excuse to stop beta testing!
Generic Arms Race.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2017, 07:31:24 pm »

I'm still firing up the generator for fun... and I found another typo.

Black Hearted Anti-Matter
Once per night you can brainwash yourself into performing a random action that they're capable of on your target's target. Action: Brainwash.
That's correct, surely...

"...a random action that they are capable of..." => "...a random action that they're capable of...". Not confusing that with something like "...their capability of a random action..."? Or is that the correction?

Ah, sorry. I see, you mean the subject disagreement of target=="yourself" being the same "them"-ish word intended to cover all other (non-self) targets. Sorry. How best to deal with that, in the scripting language used? Maybe easiest to have a target_nonself group (used as a subset of target_allpossible, if necessary, which adds yourself to that prior list, in places where there's not going to be any referent disagreement arising.

That's without (yet) properly looking at the script, and only glancing at the apparent syntax. Though I have also enjoyed the outputs from it. (Really should go and spoil the magic, before prople start to seriously hunt for scumtells by effectively using the source as an expert witness to shenanigans, or something.)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2017, 07:36:18 pm »

Ah, sorry. I see, you mean the subject disagreement of target=="yourself" being the same "them"-ish word intended to cover all other (non-self) targets. Sorry. How best to deal with that, in the scripting language used? Maybe easiest to have a target_nonself group (used as a subset of target_allpossible, if necessary, which adds yourself to that prior list, in places where there's not going to be any referent disagreement arising.
Inform should be able to handle that easily. I mean, I know how I'd do it, but I didn't read the source closely enough (beyond noting the language) to tell you how best to fit it in here, except to say that the language is designed for things like that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38