Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark professions should be generalized instead of chosen  (Read 1314 times)

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
Embark professions should be generalized instead of chosen
« on: October 21, 2017, 11:36:34 pm »

While dwarfy, choosing extremely specific qualities of a dwarf seems unrealistic, and instead it should be generalized into a list o professions based on moderately-varying skill levels.

For example, a list of Dwarves to choose on embark for, say, a subterranean roadside inn should be more like this:

Miner <number> (10)
Woodworker <number> (“8”) (it changed to a 8) emoji
Architect <number> (15)

Or for a fishing village:

Woodworker <#> (10)
Fisherman <#> (10)
Fish cleaner <#> (“8”)

And you choose them similarly to animals under the Dwarves screen, choosing a number of a certain profession (eg 2 fishermen, 2 carpenters, 1 fish cleaner, 1 cook, and one farmer), and then you have those dwarves when you arrive.

Another idea: an “amount of Dwarves” option, and each “dwarf slot” should cost 100 when you add/remove a slot, which means you can take only six Dwarves and have 9 extra cats or have 8 dwarves and drop the anvil.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:38:55 pm by ShinyandKittens »
No amount of mods is too much

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Embark professions should be generalized instead of chosen
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 11:16:15 pm »

I'll note that "Miner" or "Fish Cleaner" or "Carpenter" is still a lot more specific than "Woodworker".

But, as a tweak, perhaps the recruitment should be more dynamic than flat 100 cost for void dwarves - i.e. instead one recruits from the population of the rest of civ. If one is too specific, it will take longer to embark, or perhaps it will be altogether impossible to gather team to embark due, say, the civ not having anyone who knows how to mine. Meanwhile, others may be too reluctant to leave, depending on their wanderlust, unless one spends points to attract them with their preferred things.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 06:12:39 am »

I think eventually starting dwarves will come from existing populations.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 08:36:05 pm »

Exactly, but then dead civs cant have all the professions
No amount of mods is too much

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 10:07:16 pm »

Exactly, but then dead civs cant have all the professions
Yes, but playing as truly dead civs is kind of silly, isn't it? Dead is dead.
As dying civs, then yeah, limit the availability of skills for sure if you're playing the last 7 dorfs alive. You choose this challenge and were warned about it. Sounds fun.

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 11:21:38 pm »

You can always train from the zero.
Maybe if writing gets improved and we get some sort of training/education system, a dwarf could always write a book that maybe could aid  dwarves that have interest on the "extinct" profession

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 12:13:58 am »

You can always train from the zero.
Maybe if writing gets improved and we get some sort of training/education system, a dwarf could always write a book that maybe could aid  dwarves that have interest on the "extinct" profession
Oh yes, definitely.
Play treasure hunters and send out squads to gather information from ruined libraries and other more advanced civs to gradually bring your own civ back from the brink of extinction. All while fending off attacks from bad guys with much more advanced weapons than you have access too. Do you risk antagonizing the nearby humans in the hope they attack you with their precious bronze weapons? It'll make great research material if you survive!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 06:52:45 am »

Double the funny if the "extinct" profession turns out to be necromancy.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!