Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dance Macabre  (Read 829 times)

Goatex

• Bay Watcher
  • I like DF. :) I draw and write.
    • View Profile
Dance Macabre
« on: October 26, 2017, 04:57:23 am »

Dance Macabre (Dance of the dead)

When in fortress mode, If I don't have enough soldiers to defend against an undead invasion, I close off and wait. It's kind of boring, but it's better then to get everybody killed. The undead usually just wander around and look for something to kill, but it's really aimless and I'm sure nothing bad will happen.

I would like a game mechanic where if there are enough of them, they will start to dance in a circle, near the center of the map. This could be simply for fun or for invoking ghosts that terrorize your fortress and disrupt it. These ghosts could even possess your dwarfs and make them do stupid things, pull levers or go barserk and hoard food.... you get it.

I find the dead in this game a bit mindless, and feel a bit of spark for dance and music would lively things up a bit for them.

Thx for reading.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dance Macabre
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 05:22:40 am »

And not just the Dead, locked out siegers of all kinds could perform war dances and produce blood curdling bagpipe-type music. Enough to drive those dorfs close enough to the surface to insanity. No longer is the drawbridge almighty. Now you'll know why you fear the night!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 06:28:55 am »

Relevant. And some way for siegers to get levers pulled would be good, though undead are in some ways the least likely ones to try clever tactics like that. Can't say the same for Necromancers, though.
One wheel short of a wagon

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 07:48:07 am »

It could also summon a period of Evil weather--let the siege last for too long and the spell could (semi-)permanently shift the entire local biome to an Evil one.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 08:54:08 am »

Magic orientated dancing rituals attached to the necromancy secrets/magic seems entirely feasable with roadplan targets, as well as  being a disruptable mechanic to break habits.

Perhaps for the duration the zombies are dancing, the embark gains a curse of reviving more invader faction zombies without the necromancer conducting the dance having to be involved directly.