Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bugfix // Quasi suggestion - working weapon & armor racks.  (Read 1295 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bugfix // Quasi suggestion - working weapon & armor racks.
« on: October 18, 2017, 02:07:36 pm »

Due to the new plinth & cabinet objects holding onto objects, as a sort of last minute suggestion I suggest it be possible to transfer their capabilities onto armor & weapon racks. Restricting the objects to those of that type but retaining them for use & storage, given at the moment they only serve to mark barracks areas and are trivial decorations of sorts.

• Dwarves attached/assigned or in the process of inheriting a items showcase the objects personal to them inside their rooms, monarchs and nobles etc NEED the racks & stands for showcasing their heritage weapons & armor, especially if they are associated with their right to rule or existing baggage brought with them with the task of protecting dwarven civ valuables
  • A helpful repository to stop rampant weapon swapping, so items took out of the barracks assigned weapon supplies are returned after use, and in danger/alerts drawn out again, for instance a miner would put away their work pick inside their own weapon rack (belonging in a room they own) then pick out a new weapon from the barracks, returning it when they are done
In a given scenario you could issue a militarization civilian alert for all squads & civilians to switch to active duty & run to their abodes and wear their personal weapons & armor, dwarf civilians could have knives, axes, picks, blacksmith hammers etc. all sorts of things stored away for their personal use + work lives and remain at least reasonably armed until the alert is de-escalated and they return the objects to their rightful places.

And further down the field, outside of claiming a favourite weapon in a manner similar to clothes & trinkets if they have the cupboard/box space, dwarves could buy weapons in economy activated fortresses for personal use, something popular for dwarves that either feel unsafe, feel its their right to carry a weapon or enjoy opportunities to hit people with it/defend others.

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
Re: Bugfix // Quasi suggestion - working weapon & armor racks.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 07:18:42 pm »

I think an easy way is to make it like a cabinet, but with a much smaller solid storage size as to only hold maybe 4-5 pieces of armor. I’m assuming that the cabinet is set to only hold clothes when I say this, so I’m assuming that the capability can also be used here. Still assuming.
No amount of mods is too much

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bugfix // Quasi suggestion - working weapon & armor racks.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 04:08:06 am »

I think an easy way is to make it like a cabinet, but with a much smaller solid storage size as to only hold maybe 4-5 pieces of armor. I’m assuming that the cabinet is set to only hold clothes when I say this, so I’m assuming that the capability can also be used here. Still assuming.

Assumptions are well founded, that's pretty precise way of looking at it. Prepackage the "armor cabinet" with a soldiers uniform in a barracks assigned to a squad, and they will instantly get changed into their clothes there & then rather than grab individual pieces.

The general idea was that 1 weapon rack can be assigned 2-3 weapons & a 100 (or a rough estimate) bolts each given that logistically 1 weapon to each rack solely would (1 weapon & two stacks of 50 bolts would work though too in a balanced way) be a bit too close to a cabinet or a plinth's ability.

Say that you embark, you bring - Two battleaxes, a quiver & a 100 copper bolts, & 3 sets of leather armor, plus two copper crossbows, 1 hunter with moderate crossbow skill & 'Teacher' and a dwarf trained in hammering, both the hammer dwarf & woodcutter have teaching skills too to cross-train each other.

So you'd get your carpenter to craft you four weapon racks and three armor racks (per dwarf), three weapon racks goes into the barracks & 1 goes into the hunter's room, the hunter brings back some food from their assigned supplies, while the hammer dwarf practices, when you can pull the hunter off duties, assign them to train in the barracks without bolts with the woodcutter & hammerdwarf.

It'd also be useful for stocking up specific training weapon rooms without pernamently equipping dwarves with wood weapons until unassigned, and just swap them to use any weapon/armor in the confines of their new barracks, rather than plundering your artifacts or weapons supplies.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 04:10:54 am by FantasticDorf »