Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Good Artifact?  (Read 2018 times)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good Artifact?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 05:01:57 pm »

Yeah, they're definitely there to encourage you to horde everything even remotely useful on the off chance someone needs it for a mood. On the one hand you have the chance for a highly valuable piece of gear or building material. On the other, you risk death. I could see not having it on.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 06:37:41 pm »

There's also turning them off because you're on a tiny embark and thus can produce very limited number of artifacts and want to wait until your population is better suited to producing the ones you want.

Monomstodir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 02:42:40 pm »

Best/worst - diamond-studded candy splint. Phenomenally expensive - adorned with spikes of candy, a grab-bag of other gems, dragon bone, and more candy. Not actually useful.

I'm also happy to get functional items - artefact querns/millstones or mechanisms are handy - as are doors, floodgates and similar. In my current fort, I've been lucky with artefact weapons - particularly happy with the candy spear of +∞ slicing in the hands of my glorious militia commander. The gobbos don't visit any more though.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 02:36:42 am by Monomstodir »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 08:06:53 pm »

Best artifact experience in 43.05 was with a dwarf from the second migration wave just arrived - year 1 of fort -  for a total of 20 dwarfs.  She was an Accomplished Armoursmith but I was tossing up whether to keep my current Proficient/Talented Armoursmith who had some better attributes/preferences.  As soon as she arrived at the meeting hall she mooded and ran off to produce a Steel Mailshirt, embossed with Steel.  ...Okay, you get the job I says to myself.  ;D

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 05:49:19 pm »

i would say my best artifact was a platinum crossbow, unfortunately i never got to use it because that fort kept crashing and i eventually got fed up with it and abandoned it before anything interesting happened
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 03:45:50 am »

I'm quite enjoying the unicorn bone throne in my current fortress, though the gem window comes close. In general, I'm happy with any furniture or tool artifact. Weapons and armor are also A+, though I always seem to get ones that pick poor materials for what they make (gold swords, candy hammers, etc).

Worst in my book: boots, socks, gloves, or anything that typically comes in a set. Having a legendary gauntlet on one arm and one of lesser quality on the other drives the OCD in me bonkers.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 08:00:12 am »

Why tho.
The way they work is too random to my taste. I donīt like the way a novice weaponsmith can forge a weapon that far surpasses the best masterworks from legendary weaponsmiths, for basically no reason.

I have been thinking about that too. It would be nice if moods were only (or mostly) had by experienced craftsdwarves who could be believed to exceed themselves in divine inspiration. The reward then wouldn't be a skill boost, but rather a game-changing artefact. Of course then the artefacts would have to be more powerful in one way or another.

To keep in topic, I've had only few memorable artefacts like a candy axe finished just before opening the circus or a platinum throne for the king who likes platinum. There have been few really frustrating items where the material and the item type didn't really meet, like that one haunting artefact combo of two consecutive Weaponsmith moods producing a candy war hammer and a golden sword. 
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 08:25:49 am »

Got a bed built with three units of gold nuggets today, worth about 144000☼. Guess what the first major noble to visit my fortress is going to be sleeping in?

Monomstodir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 02:11:55 pm »

Ok, got a new one. Giant Flying Squirrel Bone Bin. Encrusted with sard, studded with candy, decorated with giant flying squirrel bone and sheep wool. Plus spikes of aquamarine and giant flying squirrel leather, an image of a coffee tree in citrine and an image of giant anacondas in more candy.

Convenient storage for the vault?
Pages: 1 [2]