Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Why do you think Bay12 does not need moderators?  (Read 12999 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you think Bay12 does not need moderators?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 08:43:28 pm »

Do such people exist?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Streeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing D&D Counts as Partying
    • View Profile
    • https://www.google.com/
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 11:11:53 pm »

This thread reminds me of this image:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wrong forum, I know, but often applies.
"To ensure quality standards, this space is hereby declared a Signature-Free Zone (SFZ). All intruding signatures, real or made-up, will be shot on sight."

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 03:13:05 am »

Do such people exist?
I am sure some do, but who amongst them would volunteer themselves for such a position.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 05:19:11 pm »

this article

I love it, it's a good explanation angle for a lot of things. This kind of toughts are a sequel to Schoppenhauer's take on free will IMHO. And I've allready experienced perfect democracy (via CONSENSUS!) so I've had my share, I guess...

Code: [Select]
enlightened dictatorship is extremely efficient
...I must agree, eventough I severely dislike putting myself in that drawer. But since it's formulated so perfectly neutral it's hard to disagree really  ;).
let

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 06:29:56 pm »

We don't really get all that much stuff that needs mods, there some spam (any one want a kitchen fitted?) and the odd case of topics that need banning.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 09:05:55 am »

You all forget about one simple detail, the clowns!
If you mess up here then the clowns will be sent for you thanks to the great contract that was signed and made them appear in the game.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 05:00:29 pm »

Because a forum revolving around a game where we horribly mutilate things for our amusement allows us to vent our anger before engaging in dangerous conversation topics.

And people get smited pretty quickly for infractions that on other forums are ignored by moderators; often arguments dont have the chance to get out of hand, and from the get-go most people who stick around are reasonably mature and respectful to one-another and capable of conflict resolution on their own. The exception, as ever, is politics. Fucking politics results in more bans than anything else besides actual spambots.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 08:12:00 pm »

Politics results in more bans than anything else besides actual spambots.
And religion...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 08:25:19 pm »

Politics results in more bans than anything else besides actual spambots.
And religion...
Amen to that, comrade. And would you like to buy a rolex?

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2017, 10:30:50 am »

I think it's because Dwarf Fortress fills a small niche, and so people on these forums are generally very much like one another -- we hardly argue and when we do we keep it civil, even in the politics threads, to a significant extent.
That's because most people with any sort of real value to bring have long since gone away from this game which stopped being much of a game while not going anywhere for several years.

So yes, you're stuck with mostly people who don't have any axes to grind. Savour its uninspiring glory, mmh mmh!

oh_no

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 12:19:37 pm »

I think it's because Dwarf Fortress fills a small niche, and so people on these forums are generally very much like one another -- we hardly argue and when we do we keep it civil, even in the politics threads, to a significant extent.
That's because most people with any sort of real value to bring have long since gone away from this game which stopped being much of a game while not going anywhere for several years.

So yes, you're stuck with mostly people who don't have any axes to grind. Savour its uninspiring glory, mmh mmh!

I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand how that explains what I said...? Honest question.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2017, 07:57:29 am »

That's what I understood :

P1 : People who bring value also cause trouble
P2 : All people who bring value left
C : All people who cause trouble left

P1 and P2 being demonstrably false and C doesn't sequitur very well, so... maybe I misunderstood
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:02:59 am by Cathar »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2017, 09:27:41 am »

Who represents 'people of value' is hugely subjective, so its pointless to argue on that.

Instead, I'll say that even as valued members of the community leave, others will continue to take their place as the playerbase grows. Radical DF changes may alienate some old players, but may appeal to other different players. In addition, many players do return after significant hiatus on major releases, or keep track of the game's progress sporadically. Leaving due to boredom is hardly a permanent exile.

In general, I believe the net playerbase is growing, if only through casual observations of monthly donation numbers. There is plenty of room for axe-wielding posts in the future.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2017, 02:34:37 am »

I think what I disagree with the most is the idea that highly involved playerbase would automatically start infighting. I mean, it seems to happen in most forums I saw, but upon close examination people usually yell at each other for pointless (imho) reasons none of the camps have any significant control over (religion, politics, etc.).

To me, Bay12 is probably the best environment for anything to florish, because it has an active base AND a nice one with that. A look over the age of the average DF player (around 30) is probably the key reason why we don't need moderators. We all have lives, we're all old as stones and have better things to do than throwing punches around and start dramas.

Frankly that's my best shot

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2017, 04:48:51 am »

Dwarf Fortress is a niche game for a very, let's say, "nerdy" group of people. In my experiences, all huge communities suck major knackersack due to the appeal to John/Jane Does. Games with niches of their own usually have decent fanbases. The complexity of DF also creates a barrier against any sort of dudebros nor brats, who believe that every game must pander to them. Most people would drop the games such as DF, saying that's 'garbage for nerds'. Only people who are really interested in the game will like it.

TL:DR: DF is too complex for the normies, which created a barrier which keeps normies away and allows true nerds to go through it. The game regulates the community by itself. Just leave the banhammer duty to the creator, and everything will be a-okay.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 [2] 3