Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Why do you think Bay12 does not need moderators?  (Read 12995 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you think Bay12 does not need moderators?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2017, 02:16:07 pm »

It's because Toady asked us to maintain our chill composures and we listened.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Runaway_char

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2017, 04:18:17 pm »

Dude, its a game, not your super cool special secret club.  The hell is a "true nerd" anyway?  I've honestly seen more people identifying themselves as "true nerds" be bullies and exclusionary assholes than any dudebro or "normie".

I think the main reason the boards don't need moderators is cause Toady is both insanely dedicated to the community and also a really nice person - that rubs off on the people who choose to stick around.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 05:02:05 pm »

Dude, its a game, not your super cool special secret club.  The hell is a "true nerd" anyway?  I've honestly seen more people identifying themselves as "true nerds" be bullies and exclusionary assholes than any dudebro or "normie".

I don't think CaBL is saying that he chooses those 'clubs' himself, as his post is not discussing people who call themselves 'true nerds' but those whom their personality shows to be so. There is certainly a difference between them, and CaBL is arguing that DF's automatically sorts a large portion of people by virtue* of its complexity.

* ...That's a virtue, right?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:03:38 pm by Eschar »

Runaway_char

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 05:23:00 pm »

I don't think CaBL is saying that he chooses those 'clubs' himself, as his post is not discussing people who call themselves 'true nerds' but those whom their personality shows to be so. There is certainly a difference between them, and CaBL is arguing that DF's automatically sorts a large portion of people by virtue* of its complexity.

While I get that, my disagreement is with the idea that people drawn to difficult or complicated games are inherently nicer and more welcoming - you only have to look as far as the Dark Souls community to see the opposite.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 05:33:21 pm »

While I get that, my disagreement is with the idea that people drawn to difficult or complicated games are inherently nicer and more welcoming - you only have to look as far as the Dark Souls community to see the opposite.

That... is a very good point.
Though I have tended to assume the opposite for a while, because of my interaction with Bay12 and with people in general who love exploring complex stuff.

Food for thought.

Runaway_char

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 10:20:43 pm »

After thinking it over more, its possible that the inherent non-competitive nature of dwarf fortress, especially the "Losing is Fun" philosophy, prevents a lot of the dick measuring fights for nerd cred that causes drama and toxicity in other gaming communities.  So maybe it is the nature of the game that keeps the forums asshole free, who knows.  Definitely food for thought!

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2017, 03:59:01 am »

I was semi-serious, actually. But yea, DF is a game for dedicated people. Also, despite what "wat r u, casul?" players of Dark Souls say, DkS is a relatively mainstream franchise, if we measure by the audience size and sales.

After thinking it over more, its possible that the inherent non-competitive nature of dwarf fortress, especially the "Losing is Fun" philosophy, prevents a lot of the dick measuring fights for nerd cred that causes drama and toxicity in other gaming communities.
*CABL rubs his temple* That is... That is actually a really good point. Communities of the games with singleplayer-only, or sometimes even just a focus on singleplayer, tend to be polite. Paradox community, while being overzealous about defending some bad practices of PDX, is a really polite and helpful community. ... But then again, Paradox games are pretty damn niche.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2017, 04:11:50 am »

After thinking it over more, its possible that the inherent non-competitive nature of dwarf fortress, especially the "Losing is Fun" philosophy, prevents a lot of the dick measuring fights for nerd cred that causes drama and toxicity in other gaming communities.  So maybe it is the nature of the game that keeps the forums asshole free, who knows.  Definitely food for thought!
This is definitely part of it. It's also a thinking man's game, which leads to a decidedly more genteel community. Note how infamous someone like Obok Meatgod is, whereas his sort of antics would be a sad fact of life in most other places. Contrast with Space Station 13, which has a playerbase downwards of 3000 and at least two popular ERP servers (one of which is dedicated especially to vore,) and another one full of aspiring Klan members.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2017, 04:59:14 pm »

I think the main reason the boards don't need moderators is cause Toady is both insanely dedicated to the community and also a really nice person - that rubs off on the people who choose to stick around.
To be fair, he only said "true nerds" in the TL;DR section.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 2 [3]