Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trade Depot Greyed Out  (Read 1841 times)

Codex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Trade Depot Greyed Out
« on: October 19, 2017, 02:38:29 am »

Hi Everyone.
                 Just started playing DF,recently,after watching and reading numerous tutorials,mostly going ok. However every time i start a new game,the Trade depot option  (shift d) is always "greyed " out.the only exception i have had with this,was a new player ready made embark,cannot remember which one, where i could place the depot , and selecting the resources to build it,but the construction never started, i now prepare to embark myself choosing starting skills ect.After reading various topics i find i need the architecture skill,but i cannot find this in the starting list,i have chosen Appraisal, Building Design,as skills,but notice when i open Dwarf Therapist i find that Architecture is there ,and the game had already given my dwarf leader that skill,but i still cannot build it,would be grateful if anyone can tell my what i am doing wrong.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Trade Depot Greyed Out
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 03:04:44 am »

The depot option in the main menu is for seeing if your already built depot is pathable.

To build one in the first place you need to 'b'uild a 'D'epot first. Also going to need a mason, or carpenter (wood logs, blocks) or blacksmith (metal bars, blocks) besides architect to build it.

As you might have guessed, Building Designer does Architecture. There are couple of things like that.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 04:26:09 am »

- It's worth noting is that you do not have to assign any skill points in detailed preparations to be able to do anything. Unskilled dorfs can learn by doing. Skills increase reasonably fast anyway, and there are no critical failures.
- Also, the embark now! option (if that's what it's called) has a reasonably balanced job allocation setup allowing you to do what needs doing. Having said that, you may want to tweak it, and will have to learn how to (de)allocate jobs to dorfs sooner or later anyway.
- I don't think allocating (wasting) embark points on skills causes those jobs to be automatically allocated to the dorfs on embark, although I've never allocated skill points pre embark, so I have no first hand experience.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 05:47:52 am »

Yes, (if you haven't disabled it in init), dwarves start out with labours enabled for the skills they have. Nice little benefit to including tanner 1 and such otherwise useless things.

Codex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 03:40:21 pm »

Thanks for the Info Guys, all sorted now, much appreciated .