Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: “Ask for local directions” to find stuff within a town  (Read 854 times)

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
“Ask for local directions” to find stuff within a town
« on: October 19, 2017, 11:58:04 am »

Stuff like where local markets, leaders, specific people are so they’re easier to find.

Eg.

I ask for where the market is, Urist McGlassmaker “up 49 z-levels and right outside.” Or for humans, “walk west for a bit and find it.”
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:59:44 am by ShinyandKittens »
No amount of mods is too much

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: “Ask for local directions” to find stuff within a town
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 12:41:28 pm »

I don't think dwarves should refer to "z-levels" in in-game dialogue, but aside from that this isn't a bad idea.

Although you should probably know that you can already ask for the whereabouts of specific people.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 01:43:18 pm »

I don't think dwarves should refer to "z-levels" in in-game dialogue, but aside from that this isn't a bad idea.

Although you should probably know that you can already ask for the whereabouts of specific people.

Ah, right. Z-levels are a technical term, maybe “at the surface” instead

But when you ask for the whereabouts of someone  they just say that “blah blah Mr. vampire guy is right here in this town” not “Urist McBloodsucker is in the north tavern (tavern name)”.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 01:45:07 pm »

That's true, though realistically they shouldn't know the person's exact location if they're in a different part of town (except maybe if you're talking to a psychic wizard).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 03:00:15 pm »

Maybe “I last saw him/her at “blah blah name of tavern” or “in the northern part of town”