Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves could idolize people they’ve read in a book or have seen.  (Read 509 times)

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile

Kind of like “Urist McUristDwarfyUristMan worships Urist McDwarfyImmortalGuy the god of RANDOM_SPHERE.”

They would idolize and would be more likely to join them on adventures, and would also show in their thoughts/prefrences and relations screen.
No amount of mods is too much

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves could idolize people they’ve read in a book or have seen.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 02:20:37 pm »

Good idea. Knowledge from books is I think already implemented, but hero-worship and author-worship is not fully. Perhaps "meeting their idol" could be a dream for some creatures.
One wheel short of a wagon

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 08:34:48 pm »

Would this lead into fan-clubs?

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 08:48:10 am »

Maybe like groups and cults, councils, and other stuff, then yes. I hope that wizards become visitors BTW
No amount of mods is too much

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 08:42:16 am »

Heh the cult of Dagoth springs to mind, a dedicated group travels such a long way to commence a ritual requiring a specific artifact to rebirth a god who will wreak destruction on the world. Whether the original party doing the deed knows it or not, or has a unbased interpretation that they will rule alongside their otherworldly master.

Back to the OP, dwarves already idolise certain creatures in their favourites, and lean towards using different materials etc. You're suggesting that they have a 'favourite person' they can acquire ontop of that to regularly talk or draw upon. For vanity obsessed beings it should probably be themselves or their own race (there's lots of images of elves already on elven goods because of the vanity preference) being centre stage as their own people.

Take for example extremely patriotic members of real world nations who love to talk how they have the best of things, endless talking about their own selves.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:58:47 am by FantasticDorf »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 02:36:00 am »

Just something to mention -- sentient creatures already *do* idolize/worship certain other creatures that they fear. For example, a bronze colossus ravaging some towns in a civ could cause members of the civ to start worshipping it.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.