Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strand extraction for all metals?  (Read 704 times)

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strand extraction for all metals?
« on: October 19, 2017, 03:37:10 pm »

Extracting strands for weaving into thread and cloth from other metal ores than
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
sounds like a very Dwarven thing to do, thematically speaking. It would also introduce a new element of resource management and decision making around how to use ores, while changing the viability of soil-poor/no-soil biomes.

Besides, who doesn't love the idea of dwarves running around in iron underwear and cloth-of-gold robes!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Strand extraction for all metals?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 03:43:37 pm »

Well, the idea seems to be that the metal in question comes in strands naturally, which other metals do not. So no, I don't think it should be possible to extract strands of iron from iron ore, for example, because that's nonsense. However, making wire seems reasonable.

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 06:50:36 pm »

Well, the idea seems to be that the metal in question comes in strands naturally, which other metals do not. So no, I don't think it should be possible to extract strands of iron from iron ore, for example, because that's nonsense. However, making wire seems reasonable.

What I was getting at was that strand extraction as a skill would be in keeping with general dwarven lore to be repurposed for use on all metals.

In any case, wire =/= metal thread. Even real cloth-of-gold involves wrapping natural yarns with gold foil. Altering metal such that a fine filament of it behaves like thread and can be woven on its own into a durable, flexible cloth is patently supernatural- it just can't be accomplished by anything other than magical means. Only dwarves can extract strands, so this would be a good use of it, and would give strand extractors something to do other... Well, process all the extractable
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
on the map and then nothing at all once there's none left.

Besides, dwarves can make doors from diamonds and bridges from gypsum while being attacked by necromancers and demons. The idea that them being able to turn ore into thread is 'nonsense' is laughable.

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 07:44:55 pm »

According to Wikipedia, thread can be made from copper, silver, and a silver/gold alloy, all of which is used in a type of embroidery called goldwork. That would be a cool addition, if nothing else, and I can see dwarfs expanding it a little bit.