Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not dwarfs?  (Read 1388 times)

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
Not dwarfs?
« on: October 19, 2017, 04:07:09 pm »

Can you play as different races?Besides dwarfs if so how?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not dwarfs?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 04:23:47 pm »

You can play as most of the races in adventure mode.
Then you can entirely replace your dwarves with human visitors (through a magma accident or something).

Anything else requires modding.

You can add a tag to other races to make them "playable" in Fortress Mode too but only in the sense of "replaced the dwarves with underground, mining, industrious, humans". And there are various features missing from the other races that you'd need to mod in.

All Races Playable is a mod which makes a decent attempt at doing this.

Even so, you're still trying to build a human town with an interface made for dwarven mining which can be somewhat awkward (having to build each house separately for example, which you wouldn't expect in a human-centred game).

Eventually all the races and site types are expected to be made playable officially. Will take a long time though.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 04:27:46 pm »

Even so, you're still trying to build a human town with an interface made for dwarven mining which can be somewhat awkward (having to build each house separately for example, which you wouldn't expect in a human-centred game).

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by building each house separately, in regards to not expecting this in a human-centered game. I know you have to design each house one wall at a time, I'm just not sure what you wouldn't expect about that in a human game.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 04:34:51 pm »

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by building each house separately, in regards to not expecting this in a human-centered game. I know you have to design each house one wall at a time, I'm just not sure what you wouldn't expect about that in a human game.

Most simulation games where human towns are built allow for the creation of a single house with a simple click of the button.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 04:39:57 pm »

I had a feeling that was it but was holding out hope for something else. That's never going to happen in DF. The closest we get to that is workshops, and we already know Toady's planning on replacing those with zones requiring tools. He wants as little abstraction as possible while keeping this a game. Everything's going to be more and more in-depth as time goes on. So even in a human-centered game, you're going to be doing things wall by wall so you have more custom control over everything.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 05:01:20 pm »

Playable humans ought to be introduced in the zero magic slider setting worlds in the Myth & Magic arc(s), as zero magic worlds won't feature dwarves, so they'd be adventure mode only unless humans are made playable. The first release of that arc will probably be released 1½-3 years from now (but may not necessarily include the zero magic setting, or even the slider, in the first release).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 08:58:52 pm »

You can play as most of the races in adventure mode.
Then you can entirely replace your dwarves with human visitors (through a magma accident or something).
You can also make other race adventurers join your retired fort, then kill off all non-dwarves in it and play with snekmen in your hills.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 02:05:17 pm »

It's not really difficult to play as other races in the game. As is you can just stick the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag on them and play. If you want full functionality, find the noble positions for Dwarves that are marked as [SITE] nobles and copy/paste them into the race you want to play as.

I would not do the Landholder ones like Baron, Count, Duke, and King because you will wind up embarking with multiple nobles off the bat.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 05:20:45 pm »

I had a feeling that was it but was holding out hope for something else. That's never going to happen in DF. The closest we get to that is workshops, and we already know Toady's planning on replacing those with zones requiring tools. He wants as little abstraction as possible while keeping this a game. Everything's going to be more and more in-depth as time goes on. So even in a human-centered game, you're going to be doing things wall by wall so you have more custom control over everything.
No need to remove the ability to build one wall at a time. Everyone's going to want that. But micromamage building the walls and roof of every single workshop? Makes no sense. Humans don't know what a a roof is without divine inspiration?

And what do you mean by "never going to happen"? That part of the development notes have been deleted? Haven't heard anything about that. It's far future, for sure, but planned.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 06:05:49 pm »

I...play as a human, through the all race playable mods. Building a house take a wee bit more work than just digging a hole, but let's be real it's not rocket science either. And I can understand that most games use very simplified one clic builds, I very much like the idea of designing the houses how I like them.

If you want to build a roof, just place stairs that leads over the house, cover with floor, then cover the stairs with a hatch and lock it up, bam, you got a house. It takes a lot of micromanagement to keep families together and hence reduce the numbers of building to make tho.

Edit : Or did I misunderstood what you meant by "build wall by wall" ? You build wall like you build the floors ; by bunks, provided you have the ressources. Once you placed the corners (so the builders dont get stuck) you just do big lines and let your little people work
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:19:44 pm by Cathar »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 09:07:35 pm »

No need to remove the ability to build one wall at a time. Everyone's going to want that. But micromamage building the walls and roof of every single workshop? Makes no sense. Humans don't know what a a roof is without divine inspiration?

And what do you mean by "never going to happen"? That part of the development notes have been deleted? Haven't heard anything about that. It's far future, for sure, but planned.

I was going by what the other person was saying, with one-click building. As for micromanagement, if you mean telling them what order to build things in, we already have that for mining, which will get expanded to building for sure. If you mean them automatically making the roof as they build the building, that isn't likely. You might not want roofs, or you might want to cut them in different shapes from the rest of the building for various reasons. You kind of need that micro-managey control since everyone has their own style.

Though I'm sure things like Quickfort will find equivalents in future versions of the vanilla game, which will let you design your buildings once and then spam them forever.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 01:26:48 am »

Now I want to play a fortress of undwarves.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 02:30:59 pm »

Judging from the names on some of those community forts, it's getting more popular to play as humans. It's definitely something to build a town up above.