Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dungeon Mode // Deconstructed adventure mode  (Read 954 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dungeon Mode // Deconstructed adventure mode
« on: October 19, 2017, 06:16:32 pm »

New modes have been atleast discussed by Toady before, such as a possible departure for a wizardry based mode, so given that its not too much of a leap of the imagination that you could split up adventure mode into a set of sub-modes so they can fit in more content.

Dungeon Mode is a slight departure from adventure mode, and relates much more to other genres of games like X-com for being mainly non-realtime with turn/time based real time gameplay. Primarily it functions by pre-preparing a adventurer group randomly rolled for you (from applicable members of your selected civ) who then remain in a fast travel mode & do adventuring activities, visiting towns and such looking for work and driving yourself towards sites to engage in battles in & claim loot.

• Meeting the needs of your party, your party needs to rest, be fed and occasionally paid (sort of like mount and blade) depending on the circumstances to which they are travelling with you for, unhappy party members might leave or attempt to murder each other.
  • Time functions differently in dungeon mode, and ticks are restricted more into active points during real time sections, hostiles are allowed separate movements, but projectiles are unhindered, the ability exists to flick between party members also who individually have different rates of tick consumption based on their abilities (agility spends very little tick time moving etc, normal combat modifiers)
  • Wilderness attacks are handled as random encounters, quests are generalised boss battles (earning a bit of revenue on a generated wilderness map), same goes for bandits and all creatures caught up in these encounters (like mentioned in point above) obey the rules, a dragon can only incinerate you on its turn for instance.
  • Fortress mode & Adventure mode can overlap in dungeon mode, as retired dungeon groups can scout out your fortress for valuables to steal, or petition to work for you since they will inhibit the world still carrying out their previous adventures. Meanwhile adventurer parties with a named group of individuals can be selected for dungeon mode.
The objective of Dungeon mode is to create a renoun adventuring group (or group of some description be you travelling battle minstrels) and amass weath, keeping the group going or retiring when appropriate. Your dungeon mode successes & failures faze into the legends mode & development of the world.

Just imagine that, you can retire all your adventurers in one place, convince them to party up then have a all-star roster of the very legends of your world for a ultimate game of DF permadeath fantasy epic grouptrotting.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Mode // Deconstructed adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 09:35:46 pm »

Personally, I'm against splitting adv into even wizardry. What if an allrounder adventurer with decent stats in everything decides to take on magic? How would that work?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 03:51:37 am »

Personally, I'm against splitting adv into even wizardry. What if an allrounder adventurer with decent stats in everything decides to take on magic? How would that work?

I can partially agree with you on the sentiment, but magic a adventurer uses & a inherent wizard mode (which works seperately not as a adventurer) can be described as different things. All the rituals, apprentice training, assigning minions, wizardry based workshops/areas etc may end up bloating up adventure mode in a way that isn't helpful to the general purpose of it.

That all-rounder will be affected with the consequences of magic, and crucially has to be able to possess magic in the first place (if not bloodline/race specific) and may end up being rather OP.

Sort of like how dungeon mode is adventuremode without typical real time first person combat & world interactions (much of the interactions being text based adventures & interactions) you can do "both" in adventure mode as regular by yourself in real time or with your assigned party much more directly & faster in dungeon mode.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 04:30:13 am »

I can partially agree with you on the sentiment, but magic a adventurer uses & a inherent wizard mode (which works seperately not as a adventurer) can be described as different things. All the rituals, apprentice training, assigning minions, wizardry based workshops/areas etc may end up bloating up adventure mode in a way that isn't helpful to the general purpose of it.

That all-rounder will be affected with the consequences of magic, and crucially has to be able to possess magic in the first place (if not bloodline/race specific) and may end up being rather OP.

Sort of like how dungeon mode is adventuremode without typical real time first person combat & world interactions (much of the interactions being text based adventures & interactions) you can do "both" in adventure mode as regular by yourself in real time or with your assigned party much more directly & faster in dungeon mode.

Eh. I'd like for adv to have lots of features.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 07:54:09 am »

Eh. I'd like for adv to have lots of features.

Two problems with putting full blown magic in adventure mode.

If being a wizard is a dedicated profession (like being a adventurer) the game will be forced to choose how much magic qualifies you as a wizard vs being a magic caster, its going to change your status in the world, you might end up somewhere else in a tower you 'built' while retired, and bugs could happen if its not properly planned for.

Secondly you would have to roll constantly and likely recieve no feedback whether you are egible to use magic or not from the mythgeneration which lays down the rules of how & what magic can be used. You might be able to collect magical objects in adventure mode, but unless you are able to use it, it will be non-worthwhile to you besides selling it on.

Therefore its easier to make a 'adventurer scenario' where you start as a magic able caster, rather than randomly roll for a adventurer if these features are put in, rather than force it into the adventurer mode.

This is sort of a derailment of the OP topic, im free to answer any more questions about the OP ideally please.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 03:52:02 am »

It sounds almost like a 'squad control' or 'party control' gamemode.
Imagine the transition between sending a squad out in fortress mode, to controlling them in squad mode, breaking away as an individual into adventure mode, and making your way back to the fort into fortress mode.

Although do you think a similar effect could be made in adventure mode with an interface overhaul?
Something like face icons around the perimeter with bars for hunger and stamina, with an additional icon for every follower.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 04:09:06 am »

The plan (or perhaps just the trend right now, doesn't seem to be any particular plan) is for modes to become more closely linked, not less so. Maybe even invisibly, if that's possible.

Right now you can send dwarf adventurers to found sites, then embark fortresses on top of those early constructions. It's not smooth in any way right now of course and there's a lot more to do. But "outsider peasant to ruler of the world with armies and sites under your control" might be a valid playthrough one day in the far, far future.

Forming parties is possible right now, just needs more functionality. Dungeons exist right now, just need more Fun. Nothing needs to be a in a 'new mode', just distracts from the awareness of the world as a persistent place and limits the scope of your game.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 04:39:15 am »

It sounds almost like a 'squad control' or 'party control' gamemode.
Imagine the transition between sending a squad out in fortress mode, to controlling them in squad mode, breaking away as an individual into adventure mode, and making your way back to the fort into fortress mode.

Pretty much, non descript to anything imparticular but mostly implied this is a adventurer group rather than a fortress group (I guess you could pick between civilian groups & actual adventure groups)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 02:32:50 am »

I personally think this sounds like a good idea, but I'm against making it even partially real-time. Certain commands in adv mode take a somewhat long time to perform, and I like being able to think before I act, so it might not be feasible.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.