Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why doesnt my hunter go out and hunt?  (Read 5257 times)

Antmf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why doesnt my hunter go out and hunt?
« on: October 20, 2017, 10:11:44 am »

I dont even know if I have a hunter lol how do i make sure i have a hunter and once I do will he automatically go out and hunt so i can gather some meat to cook? I have a quiver bolts and xbow in stock but he still wont grab the items and hunt. What am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:31:11 am by Antmf »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Why doesnt my hunter go out and hunt?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 12:17:37 pm »

1) Does the hunter have ambusher labour enabled?
2) Do the hunters have allocated ammo in military screen?
3) Most issues are pathing issues.

Antmf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 01:40:29 pm »

It just said hunter cancels pick up equipment mismatch. What does this mean?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 05:51:11 pm »

1) Does the hunter have ambusher labour enabled?
2) Do the hunters have allocated ammo in military screen?
3) Most issues are pathing issues.
"hunting" labor enables hunting (in vanilla at least).

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 01:44:07 pm »

Make sure they arent part of your military and that try do not have woodcutting or mining enabled. These cause equipment mismatch issues because they can only carry one set of equipment (e.g. a crossbow, quiver, and bolts) is if you have say, your hunter is also your woodcutter they will constantly switch between the hunter gear (crossbow, quiver, bolts usually) and grabbing their woodcutting axe.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 02:48:49 pm »

Also there need to be suitable animals to hunt on the map, somewhere they can reach it (so caverns also work, as long as youv'e breached them, have a current path into them, and you've explored enough of the area that they have a suitable path to those animals. If it's just the last one that's lacking, congratulations, you're about to have a ton of cancellation spam.)

Not all things on the map are huntable, not sure if there's a list handy. If they're non-sapient creatures generally I think you can hunt them though. You can check what's around by hitting "u" to see your dwarf list, scrolling right through the different displays until you see... wild animals? I think. Possibly it's "guests." I'm just going off memory, sorry. But one of those selections will let you see any wild creatures.

Also note that if the only wild animals around are birds and they're flying too high, I don't think your hunters will go hunting unless they come lower, within reach.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 03:50:28 pm »

If you kill off all the creatures in the caverns, or on the surface, you get new creatures.
This doesn't work in low-pop biomes like glacier though.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 04:27:57 pm »

I have a quiver bolts and xbow in stock but he still wont grab the items and hunt.
Hunters, miners and woodcutters will try to equip their civilian labor uniform as soon as possible. The available wildlife will not matter until after he is equipped.

The "equipment mismatch" message happens when the dwarf has the "pickup equipment" job and is walking to pick up the item, and something happens that makes the equipment no longer eligible for the dwarf's uniform (usually the equipment became inaccessible or the dwarf's uniform changed). So he was trying to equip the items, but the job failed because of another reason, likely one of the other posters hit it. The good part is that he will try again if an eligible item becomes available.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 08:27:16 pm »

Most notably, if you happen to be using the "autolabor" DFHack plugin, I would recommend that you turn it off, because if you don't know exactly how to configure it, it is likely to fight with you and change whatever labors you tried to assign manually (e.g. by reassigning your Hunter to instead perform Mining or Wood Cutting).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.