Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First siege: enemies immediately leaving map - siege persists  (Read 2064 times)

Alatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First siege: enemies immediately leaving map - siege persists
« on: October 20, 2017, 01:25:36 pm »

I've got the first siege in my game.

When I got the message "a vile force of darkness has arrived", I saved the game. After continuing I examined the invaders (3 dwarfes, 2 goblins). When unpausing the game, all invaders are immediately leaving map. But the games still tells me, I'm under siege.

Two questions: Why do the invaders run away? Why am I still under siege after all invaders left the map?

I killed the DF process, reloaded and used DFhack to teleport the invaders to the center of the map. But the invaders again are heading to the edge of the map and are leaving.
I repeated the step above and teleported the invaders to different map locations (to bottom of first lvl cavern), but always the same: invaders running away, with siege active after all invaders left.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First siege: enemies immediately leaving map - siege persists
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 06:33:06 am »

Hello/goodbye sieges is a known bug with an unknown cause. Most of the time the siege indicator goes away, but not always. Again, the cause of that difference is unknown. At a guess, you're still under siege because there are enemies stuck in the process of entering the map, but never appearing, and a further guess is that they could be "revived" using DFHacking to enable them to enter the map and immediately leave. The bug complex also contains indications that saving as sieges/caravans/migrants are in the process of entering the map may trigger this kind of bug (there are corresponding ones for caravans and migrants).

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 06:15:01 pm »

You speak of using DFHack to unstuck the siege, but you did not elucidate on the how of that process.  I would very much appreciate the how being explained, as one might to a child, that I might undo a similar problem in my own game.  Much thanks

Alatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 03:28:00 am »

@PatrikLundell

Thanks for you explanation. Bad bug...

In the meantime I helped myself, by teleporting the invaders to a locked area and killed them there. This removed the siege status. This does not fit into the theory, that units are stuck at entering the map. It seems leaving the map is the culprit.

@ Aranador

- move cursor over an invader unit
- goto DFhack console and type: "teleport -showunitid" (without quotes)
- DFhack will print a number
- write down this number somewhere
- do this for all invaders
- move the cursor to the desired map location
- now type this in the DFhack console: "teleport -unit XXX"
- replace XXX with the unitid you got from the above commands
- move the cursor to an adjacent tile and repeat for all units

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 03:40:23 am »

Killed them by swords and such, I assume?

And interesting; I think that's novel.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 04:07:48 am »

Hmm - well - there are no invaders on my map, so the outlined procedure helps me not.  I may have to declare this fortress borked beyond repair, and start again.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 04:49:55 am »

I'd try out some scripts to fix it first. There's nearly half-dozen that are around, here's one: Standing Siege tags, lost forgotten beasts, and missing wildlife

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 04:53:32 am »

@Aranador: I cannot explain the procedure in detail as I don't know it. I've had some success to unstick merchants (further developed by others and included in DFHack as fix/merchants, but that only works on merchants, I presume), and assume similar handling might work on sieges and migrants. If you can provide a link to your bugged save I could try to see if I can fix it.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 06:15:06 pm »

I did find a DFHack command that was supposed to unstick stuck sieges, but ze commands, zey do nothink!

I lack enough knowledge to even understand how to use the link provided fix, and to boot that fix apparently doesn't work in current version of DF.

But knowing what causes the issue, I can at lest play in a way that avoids it in future.  TY for trying to help though :)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 10:47:51 pm »

Open up Notepad++, copy the text below, save as unitretrieval.lua in the Scripts folder of your DFhack folder.  If you wish the spawned units to retain their hidden status, remove the line containing "hidden_in_ambush = false".  Type 'unitrevieval' in DF hack with your fort open to run it.
Hm. I suppose you might not have notepad++. In that case, wordpad or notepad would work - if I recall correctly, though, have to look out for the latter saving it as .lua.txt (wrong) file instead of .lua file (right).

Nonetheless, if dfhack's command does nothing, I can only suggest uploading the save so PatrikLundell can take a look.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 02:53:34 pm »

Open up Notepad++, copy the text below, save as unitretrieval.lua in the Scripts folder of your DFhack folder.  If you wish the spawned units to retain their hidden status, remove the line containing "hidden_in_ambush = false".  Type 'unitrevieval' in DF hack with your fort open to run it.
Hm. I suppose you might not have notepad++. In that case, wordpad or notepad would work - if I recall correctly, though, have to look out for the latter saving it as .lua.txt (wrong) file instead of .lua file (right).

Nonetheless, if dfhack's command does nothing, I can only suggest uploading the save so PatrikLundell can take a look.

As he said, post your save and one of us can take a look. Or PM me the save and I'll see if I can fix it. :)
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.