Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: You should be able to embark on a mountain.  (Read 2236 times)

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
You should be able to embark on a mountain.
« on: October 20, 2017, 02:01:19 pm »

Come on... these are Dwarves! They should be able to settle on a mountain. You can bring wood during embark, and even if you run out you can order more from caravans.
No amount of mods is too much

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You should be able to embark on a mountain.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 09:57:35 pm »

Dwarves live under mountains, not on them. You're thinking of yetis. Easy mistake.

When the underground is rehauled, deep dwarves introduced, then yeah, you'll probably be able to embark under a mountain.
In fact Toady confirmed in fotf a while ago that an underground start was in his list of ideas for "starting scenarios".

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 10:54:24 pm »

Dwarves live under mountains, not on them. You're thinking of yetis. Easy mistake.

When the underground is rehauled, deep dwarves introduced, then yeah, you'll probably be able to embark under a mountain.
In fact Toady confirmed in fotf a while ago that an underground start was in his list of ideas for "starting scenarios".

Thanks for making a rude joke and then not understanding that that was completely what I meant. >:(

Of course they won’t live ON the mountain? But they can’t START under it. Not unless they can teleport, which they don’t. Also, I know of starting scenarios, I made a list of ideas that NOBODY CARED ABOUT.

So please refer to bullet point number four, which I’ve tried to respect:
Be respectful.  If you don't intend to show respect, do not post.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 12:01:15 am »

Starting under mountains is planned at which point you'll be able to start under mountains. That's all I meant. Even pointed you towards where Toady confirmed it.

People don't respond within 24 hours to one of your hundreds of bullet point list threads so you think no-one cares? Takes me a week to read through everything you've posted (which I do, with interest) and work out if I want to respond to anything.

Dwarves travel through the tunnels their civs build and the caverns. They don't need to teleport.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 12:20:44 am by Shonai_Dweller »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 02:20:00 am »

Thanks for making a rude joke and then not understanding that that was completely what I meant. >:(

Of course they won’t live ON the mountain? But they can’t START under it. Not unless they can teleport, which they don’t. Also, I know of starting scenarios, I made a list of ideas that NOBODY CARED ABOUT.

How was that a rude joke? It was a joke, but it wasn't rude. People make off-topic jokes a lot on these forums.

Shonai wasn't trying to insult you or anything, he was just making a comment which he considered to be humorous. He respects people on these forums to the greatest extent, from my past experience.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 01:33:06 pm »

How was that a rude joke? It was a joke, but it wasn't rude. People make off-topic jokes a lot on these forums.

Shonai wasn't trying to insult you or anything, he was just making a comment which he considered to be humorous. He respects people on these forums to the greatest extent, from my past experience.

Darn, I feel like a jerk now. I was upset, I felt horrible last night. I am very sorry that I raged like that.

Anyway, where do yetis spawn anyway?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 05:10:47 pm »

Savage mountains/tundras/glaciers, I think.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 05:37:27 am »

Out of interest: why is it forbidden to embark on top of a mountain in the current version?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 05:52:42 am »

Out of interest: why is it forbidden to embark on top of a mountain in the current version?
No trees or soil on the surface, I think. Kind of makes sense, kind of doesn't.
One wheel short of a wagon

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 08:13:15 pm »

No trees or soil on the surface, I think. Kind of makes sense, kind of doesn't.
I think it's a traveling issue. Adventurers can't fast travel over mountains. It's probably difficult to get a wagon there, for embark and trade.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 06:08:56 am »

I do understand what the OP means and I agree. Wood/soil issues should be addressed first but it should be possible
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 07:50:52 pm »

I do understand what the OP means and I agree. Wood/soil issues should be addressed first but it should be possible

It’s not that, it’s just that Dwarves should be able to start on a mountain anyway, all they need to do is bring extra barrels and buy more wood.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 09:17:26 pm »

It’s not that, it’s just that Dwarves should be able to start on a mountain anyway, all they need to do is bring extra barrels and buy more wood.

Or just dig into the caverns for soil and wood.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 09:28:04 am »

By addressed I mean that. You should either dig deep for wood and soil/water-to-make-soil. Or toady to make us capable of send hunting/logging parties outside the fortress or making flora and fauna grown on mountains.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 10:57:56 pm »

By addressed I mean that. You should either dig deep for wood and soil/water-to-make-soil. Or toady to make us capable of send hunting/logging parties outside the fortress or making flora and fauna grown on mountains.

I think there should be a way to move soil.
Pages: [1] 2