Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make and use magma-safe buckets and make lava pits.  (Read 1633 times)

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
Make and use magma-safe buckets and make lava pits.
« on: October 20, 2017, 02:06:25 pm »

You should be able to fill magma workshops more easily, using magma safe buckets (such as iron or adamantite) and a pond zone. An option under the pond zone should appear to allow magma if: (1) there is no water in it, and  (2) there is magma on the map.
No amount of mods is too much

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make and use magma-safe buckets and make lava pits.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 06:11:08 pm »

Even though the original suggestion is very bare, a simple "switch reagent between water/lava" on a water collection zone would be a fix if at all it was wanted to collect buckets of lava for some reason that doesn't exist yet.
  • Getting dwarves to recognise magma safe buckets for the job would either require a entirely new subjob and terrible pathfinding routine of filling up your 'pond' with disastrous consequences if they spill it, or you would burrow workers to do it in a set area, slightly inconvenient
  • You can already pumpstack lava, only lava furnaces in the game require lava and only use it as passive fuel, not a direct reagent

I can't really agree with you on this, sorry. Right now there are too few applications, and this sounds like a poor man's pumpstack, not to mention dwarf labour would take longer (because lava & often the buckets is dense make it extremely heavy for haulers) than actually building & running the pumpstack.

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 06:18:08 pm »

Even though the original suggestion is very bare, a simple "switch reagent between water/lava" on a water collection zone would be a fix if at all it was wanted to collect buckets of lava for some reason that doesn't exist yet.
  • Getting dwarves to recognise magma safe buckets for the job would either require a entirely new subjob and terrible pathfinding routine of filling up your 'pond' with disastrous consequences if they spill it, or you would burrow workers to do it in a set area, slightly inconvenient
  • You can already pumpstack lava, only lava furnaces in the game require lava and only use it as passive fuel, not a direct reagent

I can't really agree with you on this, sorry. Right now there are too few applications, and this sounds like a poor man's pumpstack, not to mention dwarf labour would take longer (because lava & often the buckets is dense make it extremely heavy for haulers) than actually building & running the pumpstack.

I deeply disagree. Dwarf labour defintely would be way less intensive than building a dozen z-level pumpstacks. Also less material intensive. Less annoying and less of a chore too.
Also, I have suggested on my post the development of an archimedes screw, which would be way better than pumpstacking.

Lava weight wouldnt be a problem either if magma wells were allowed. You could just power it, just like pumps.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 06:23:48 pm »

But isn't it counter-intuitive in supplying 'easy options' in regards to dwarves using mechanisms etc and making the systems?

Im sure it'd be suitable for a more primitive society (humans and anybody else who can least make metal), but opting one over the other isn't really appropriate since dwarves being technically minded and players ambitious is core gameplay at the moment.

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 06:32:03 pm »

Dwarves have always been famed for their engineering. I'd say it's pretty intuitive.
Magma can be harder to acquire in much better ways than the stupid hassle that is building a pump stack, seriously. Just make it more dangerous, more populated with magma creatures, make them building destroyers so they can destroy grates and so on.

Did I mention dwarves are famed for their engineering? One would think it would be trivial to find an alternative solution to huge pump stacks. Archimedes screw is a good one.

I'd say it's pretty bad core gameplay if you have to spend years turtling, say, in an evil region, only because it takes so much work to pump magma closer to the surface.
Or if the only alternative is trap spamming UNTIL you have a military running.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:33:46 pm by joaodosgrao »