Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Impending Doom Thread  (Read 7177 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Impending Doom Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2017, 11:07:42 am »

Well at least 100 years from now those eroded plastic beaches will feel nice and comfy between our toes, right?
If you pardon the occasional lego bricks

It wasn't bait, it was overwhelming pessimism. It was me pointing out that it's par for the course on these forums for people to confidently claim things wildly at odds with reality, like that you can see the moon landers through a telescope or onions release sulfuric acid when cut or a dozen other things that are simply wrong on an elementary level. I know this is going to sound really snotty, moreso than anything I've said yet, but it's really depressing to realize how little effort people make to correct themselves when I've worked as a scientist so long that I check everything I can reflexively. More than I should, really, but there you go.
On this forum? You sure people aren't just being facetious or ironic a la steel beams and jet fuel?

I'm just not hopeful for reasons I can show to you all without Herculean effort; laying aside the requisite copyright infringement, the theoretical background to counter the inevitable knee-jerk "it'll never work" would by itself take years to impart and almost nobody willing and able to put in that effort hasn't already done so -- and that's fine, because most people are irrelevant anyway. So no, this wasn't bait. I'm not willing to put in the effort required to convince you of anything in any way that actually matters (rather than just by cudgelling you with links until you shut up, as is standard operating procedure on here), so boasting of reading "some article or other" would ultimately be pointless. I'm just venting, because it pisses me off when ignorant people call what I do futile based on nothing but what they want to be true and I've learned there's no stopping them. (See all the people advocating for genocide to "prevent overpopulation" and then being all cool and edgily misanthropic.)
How are you any different from the evil you decry? You decry the misanthrope, then justify your lack of effort in misanthropy. You despise a futile discussion, then focus all your efforts on detailing how you put no effort into your posts. You hate the sheeple, underinformed and underqualified, yet justify zero factual basis for your own superiority, you're not cudgelling people with links - it is no fight when you are politely requested information. As it stands simply wasting everyone's time talking about the great data you have that no one else is allowed to read, nor can you even reference when others offer to find it, is pointless, and proof of no superiority, only a tipped fedora. What is the point of all your self-contradictory demoralisation if not for bait? If a well-informed discussion is a cudgelling into submission, how on earth do you think a discussion about you is of any help to anyone?

It is simply confusing when you're pissed off when ignorant people call what you do futile based on nothing but what they desire to be true, when no one here knows what you do, no one here knows what you see as truth nor what evidence you've used to come to that conclusion? You see mankind as doomed already - not to time and climate change, but to ignorance. How you can claim such sagacity and not know of persuasion is beyond me. You may find Bay12 is not the same as your real life's fellows who cause you to vent! Otherwise you must sympathize with the rest of the peeps ITT who are more interested in what you have to say, and not how many qualifications you claim.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2017, 11:36:43 am »

? You decry the misanthrope, then justify your lack of effort in misanthropy. You despise a futile discussion, then focus all your efforts on detailing how you put no effort into your posts. 

You don't understand. He's an uber-intelligent supergenius. There is no way he could explain his superior thoughts in a manner that us filthy apes could understand, so he won't bother.

I think this is the best community for him though. I mean, if you're going to shitpost, you might as well do it in the professional league  :P
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:38:28 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2017, 01:47:32 pm »

I'm no expert here, but it sounds to me like ChairmanPoo is resorting to some good old Ad-Hominem attacks now. If that's not the case, sorry, move on.
If it is the case, don't do that.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2017, 07:53:32 pm »

Note to self: If I ever buy a sniper rifle, I'm going to name it 'Ad Hominem'. As in 'I'm gonna go carry out a good ol' ad hominem attack.'
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2017, 08:30:12 pm »

That's probably prudent.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2017, 09:13:37 pm »

I think Trekkin has something of a chip on his shoulder, and for all his talk of understanding subtleties, he does not understand the issue with poor education in this country, or even on this forum. (that being, if there is a lack of education, it is not from a lack of will, or effort. The people on this forum tend to go out of their way to improve their knowledge base, and if given access to better materials, show more than willingness to improve themselves.)

For starters, he lays the blame on "not wanting to invest the effort" in self education. This is patently wrong. The more supportable reason is that cost of education is very high, both in time and in monetary measures. Since he claims to be a professional scientist, has he taken the time to accurately evaluate just how much of his own personal finances he has invested in reaching that point? How many thousands of dollars did it take him to get his doctorate? (Did he factor in the amount of money his folks invested in keeping him clothed, housed, and fed while he did his post-grad work?) Did he rationally evaluate that against the actual standard median income of the typical American? How can he so blandly lay the fault at "lack of will", or "lack of effort", when the cost of entry is lightyears out of most people's reach, and even for his own, if it were not for the equivalent of privileged birth to put it there? (EG, people who are born to parents who have lots of money are able to attend schooling at this level, where those who are not, cannot.)

Of course not, he did not, and likely will not, or can not.

That is one of the thrusts behind CPs sardonic response.

Further, on the topic of self education, the ability of people to self educate in the vacuum of traditional venues is predicated on the quality and availability of literature with which to self-educate. By his own rhetoric, he decries the open availability of such quality literature, because it increases the noise ratio in his ivory tower, and costs him additional money. Way to throw the baby out with the bath water there (by blaming people for lacking the will to self-educate, while simultaneously denying them the power to do so if they wanted, because "they are too ignorant to understand anyway"), or failure to contemplate subtleties in how these things interrelate. (because his bias is much easier to believe.)

So, no-- CP's assertion that it is bovine excrement is given a +1.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:23:45 pm by wierd »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2017, 09:39:36 pm »

Well at least 100 years from now those eroded plastic beaches will feel nice and comfy between our toes, right?
If you pardon the occasional lego bricks
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28367198

(Doesn't really add to any argument, but enjoyable to read.)

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2017, 09:47:25 pm »

Wow I did not realize I would feel inclined to bring in popcorn while reading this thread, anyway here are some more major concerns that i did not see being adressed here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvx-W-XAie0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=479j6zSUhew .

Fun stuff, no?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2017, 05:01:07 pm »

For starters, he lays the blame on "not wanting to invest the effort" in self education. This is patently wrong. The more supportable reason is that cost of education is very high, both in time and in monetary measures. Since he claims to be a professional scientist, has he taken the time to accurately evaluate just how much of his own personal finances he has invested in reaching that point? How many thousands of dollars did it take him to get his doctorate? (Did he factor in the amount of money his folks invested in keeping him clothed, housed, and fed while he did his post-grad work?) Did he rationally evaluate that against the actual standard median income of the typical American? How can he so blandly lay the fault at "lack of will", or "lack of effort", when the cost of entry is lightyears out of most people's reach, and even for his own, if it were not for the equivalent of privileged birth to put it there? (EG, people who are born to parents who have lots of money are able to attend schooling at this level, where those who are not, cannot.)

Of course not, he did not, and likely will not, or can not.

The amount my folks invested is maybe $15. Full ride scholarship, and the fact that science grad students have their tuition paid by their department along with a stipend, mean that most of my parents' investment toward sending me to college went toward the bus fare to get me there. I know you won't believe that (and can not, and will not, and etc. bias bias bias) and it doesn't matter, but it is true.

And come to think of it, I paid them back for that.

Here's the thing, though, weird: that can be free for you, too. You don't need academic journal articles to get the theoretical background to be able to read academic journal articles. Most of what the average person needs is at their library or on the Internet, although sorting through the garbage and lies-to-children is going to be rough. It's just going to take forever, thus why I said "willing and able" above. I'm more than willing to concede that there are levels of economic disadvantage where you can't afford even free learning for a host of reasons, be it because someone else is paying for it or because it's actually free, and yes, that does suck, but it sucks as part of a much bigger problem -- and trying to fix it by just handing you papers for free isn't going to give you the means to fully understand them, because nothing's going to give you that without time lots of people can't afford to spend even if you wanted to. Sad, yes, but we can't get what we deserve.

That's the thing about debates like this. The individually disturbing facts are out, mostly, in plain view. You can read them on the NASA site and so on. The underlying mechanisms that explain why those facts are disturbing in a detailed enough way to meaningfully estimate how bad they are generally are not, at least not at the level of detail you need -- and even if they were, plugging the data into them requires an understanding of statistics and informatics and just the bare ability to read scientific writing (which is field-specific) that's not contained in the papers themselves or even linked to them in any discoverable way.

And then, in this particular case, the underlying question "are we doomed?" depends on "can we fix this?" as well as "how bad is it?", and that's a much broader question, because then we have to delve into the underpinnings of our entire industrial base and ask what we can do, what it will require, and how fast we can implement it -- and that's really densely connected. You may be familiar with the bon mot "Scientists dream. Engineers do." It's not entirely accurate, especially in fields where they overlap, but it does reflect how, particularly in the current deluge of pilot studies, even an unreasonably large number of scientific papers can't give you a full picture of what scales to the levels we need it to given the capabilities we already have. It's the difference between describing "how a car works" and being able to design an automobile engine, except now we need the engine to be carbon-neutral even in manufacture.

And here's the real kicker: there isn't a kind of wrong you can be that won't seem right at first glance. If your statistical analysis is wrong, you still get whatever metadata you wanted out at the end of it, and there's no little flag saying it isn't real. If you misunderstand a paper, the author isn't going to climb out of your monitor and say "well, actually" unless you actually cross paths with them. There are countless ways for intelligent, well-meaning people to end up entirely wrong for reasons that aren't their fault but that they can't detect and we can't correct. The best way to try to limit the wrongness is comprehensive, time-consuming, frankly awful levels of education, combined with a paranoiac obsession with checking each other's work. Trying to do the latter without the former just takes up a lot of everyone's time.

I'm not here to call anyone stupid, let alone everyone but me; I've been more blunt than I should have been, but still, not my intention. You all are not stupid, and I'm not some exceptional super-genius. What you are is underinformed, despite your best efforts, and there's nothing wrong with that in and of itself. Actually getting to the point where you could look at the cutting edge of the dozens of fields that have some impact on our ability to survive our own industrial mismanagement and fully and confidently arrive at a provably accurate understanding of the state of things is way more than a full-time job. It's a full-time job for many, many people working in concert. One of the obstacles between garage researchers and doing that job is that most of what you want to read is paywalled or only accessible through specific networks of people; there's a lot of things we just kind of know but never bothered to publish, particularly negative data, and while it's technically unpublished and therefore can't be shared it's sort of seeped into the knowledge base over time. Now, however much I benefit from that all being the case, yes, in a perfect world you'd be able to read anything you like. This world is far from perfect, and you can't, and letting anyone who wants to read anything they want would have wide-ranging negative impacts on our ability to actually do science absent way more sweeping changes in the economics of science.

Given what you can see, the world looks doomed. Not arguing that. That sucks, and is depressing, and the more you look into it the more depressed you get, because you get more convinced it's doomed the more times you read it. The point at which things start looking up is buried so deeply in so many places that unless you're paid in part to look for it you probably can't afford to go find it all. I've tried to work around that before, and the bits that are only kind of buried look impossible or irrelevant and so people quite rightly don't believe them. And, again, that is all terrible, but it's part and parcel of an even more terrible thing and can't be changed on its own. So, given all that, why get even more entrenched in your depression by reviewing all the facts you can already see, particularly since there's not much you can do that you don't already know you can do? If there were something the average person could do that would really meaningfully impact the impending death of the planet (and wasn't, you know, fatal or expensive) I'd be screaming it from the rooftops. Wouldn't you? That would be wonderful and well worth the professional consequences. But there isn't yet. The world just isn't set up to where the majority of people can make those kinds of choices, in part because the capability to fix things without a titanic budget is still being developed. I'm not going to ask people to do something like go vegan when meat is the only protein source they can afford, however much energy and water it takes to feed a cow.

So relax. You can run the numbers all you want, but the encouraging ones are deliberately hidden from you (in ways I can't fix), and in any event there's not much you can feasibly do as an individual to make things better or worse. So just breathe, be calm, recycle if it makes you feel better, and don't get trapped in the kind of echo chamber that happens when a bunch of people stare at the same frightening data and get utterly convinced of that. I can't show you enough things to convince you of the slightly encouraging state of things at a level I'd accept personally, and if I have to ask you to take things on faith, it may as well be me, and I may as well give up. Which is what I did, awkwardly and way more insultingly than I should have, because this is a debate I'm far tired of watching people have without all the facts in their possession and it generally devolves into worse than nothing. I get that it's partly to cope with feeling helpless, but counting us out while we're still working like hell to stay in is just depressing, and then everyone decides who to blame for it and it just devolves into people bashing folks they don't like. There's enough of that out there.

And incidentally, weird, if I have a chip on my shoulder, folks like you blatantly ignoring mathematical reality because you want to sound intellectual helped put it there. You can be wrong about more stuff faster than I can ever hope to correct.

Whew. Long post. I look forward to the smarmy tl;dr and shitty reaction images and so forth. Have fun!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:09:08 pm by Trekkin »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2017, 06:23:22 pm »

Nah, I am actually happy you gave a nice, honest answer.

I don't doubt that negative results (which are just as important as, if not more important than, positive correlation papers) because they "look" like "scientists wasting money and time." Never get published due to the pathological system of grant award and publishing impact based metrics. Knowing what does not work is useful in devising theory for things that may yet work. (VERY damn useful, especially if you can describe WHY), however, the world sees these things differently, and on that, I agree.  I would argue that the solution is the hard one everyone wants not to do though, and that is to rise the tide and rise all boats; stop capitulating to the idea that society's systemic ignorance cannot be fixed. Much like how the availability of curated knowledge at a library uplifted society in a time long past, access to curated knowledge in a more accessible form now could greatly uplift the modern society. From what I see, the obstacles to this involve the perverse side of "publish or perish", where your " value" as a scientist is not evaluated by the quality of your work, but instead on a meta-metric, based on the number of journals you have published in, and how many times your work gets cited by other scientists; along with the sociopathic profit motives of the journals themselves to profit from keeping the public ignorant, keeping scientists trapped on their treadmill, and compels them to viciously attack anyone and everyone who would seek to puncture their perfect little webs of exclusivity.

I liken them to the printers and copy houses in the days before public libraries, who staunchly asserted that public libraries were evil. There have been modern attempts to collect papers and curate them outside of paywalls, which the modern rent seekers have been going after very hard.  Given the historical precedents involved, I find myself rooting for the pirate curators seeking to create open libraries, and for the scientists improving the impact scores of open access publications. I consider those to be worthwhile and constructive actions toward rising the tide, so that people who really want the knowledge can get it.

To get the equivalent of a legal public library, we need the public on board in putting the flames under the heels of world governments to grant copyright exceptions for these classes of institution, allowing them to replicate straight unaltered copies, but not to create derivative works. You need a force stronger than corrupt cartel money, and sadly the only one stronger is "mob" right now.  Curling inward and believing this farce to be unchangeable is exactly the thing you are preaching against. The only way to get that public on board is through education, and helping them to understand the gravity of the problem.

I agree that amateur scientists won't be nearly as vested as those that do it full time. That is like saying people playing in the park belong at the Olympics. Don't mistake though, that the people playing in the park don't know the rules of the game less than the Olympians do, or that they too would not want to up their game by knowing some of the wisdom of their professional peers. There is a big difference between not wanting, or not understanding, and not being allowed to know.

As for the trite jab at the end there, I make no allusions that I am above reproach, or cannot make mistakes, I just demand something with more substance than "nuh uh, for reasons I won't disclose because you're dumb!" As an argument. If I wanted that, I would go to a church. Approaching me with a holier than thou art flair rises my cockles, and sneering at ignorance instead of politely offering correction is what people full of themselves do. If you note, I was quite willing to cede that I might not be observing what I thought I was, but rather than approach with tact, you approached with indignation and scorn. It is that quality that you need to work on. If you believe I do not welcome or desire correction, you would be mistaken.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:54:42 pm by wierd »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2017, 07:18:08 pm »

Are those polite textwalls I see? Well I'll be.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2017, 07:49:36 pm »

I actually prefer it that way. (Shrug)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2017, 09:39:03 pm »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2017, 01:31:14 am »

If you believe I do not welcome or desire correction, you would be mistaken.
Well, then, perhaps you'd like some in a meta sense: if you want to be taken seriously as an intellectual, with your arguments given due consideration and so forth, you need to acquire competence commensurate to your confidence.

It's not enough to be open to being corrected. That's absolutely necessary, but it's not at all sufficient. You did not, when you were in school, hand in a math test in which all the answers were random numbers and then appeal your grade on the basis of your openness to being corrected, did you? The same applies here; saying things in public is your test of your credibility. There's not much of a concept of an honest mistake in science, at least not in public discourse. There are things no one could possibly have known and things you specifically should have known. Math errors that would be entirely forgivable in other contexts have gotten people laughed out of conferences and papers retracted and careers ruined. That's the level of pedantry we're dealing with here.

Now, I could be all "git gud" or try to claim something like that we don't pay accountants to keep our accounts from adding up and we don't pay scientists to be wrong either, but there are substantive reasons that we're so nitpicky. A big one is actually education; errors that we might be able to spot as obviously wrong would slip by someone with less of a background in that particular field, and then anything they do with them is wrong without them knowing. Part of making the public more scientifically literate -- which we both want to happen -- is making sure we correct anything we put out before we say it, because our audience might not be listening for the retraction. Look at how many people still think spinach is this extremely iron-rich superfood or that we don't know how bees can fly. Imagine what can happen if someone reads an nM instead of an mM in a dose-response curve and decides to take or prescribe one millionth the medication they should. These are extreme examples, but still, errors in science can have real and deleterious impacts beyond our ability to correct. This is only compounded by the problems I mentioned above with people trying to read scientific papers who aren't able to fully understand them for whatever reason, because it only takes one error in either the data or their understanding to come away from otherwise completely correct information with an idea that is extremely wrong but seems right, and that's dangerous. That's how you get anti-vaxxers and global warming denialists and flat Earthers and all the other groups I needn't name because everyone knows they're wrong except them: people find misinformation or misunderstand good information and that sticks around beyond our ability to repair it. 

So if being told you're not sufficiently up on fundamental theory to make the claims you make with the confidence you do is a common enough experience in your life for you to call my quip trite, perhaps it's worth considering whether all the other people who have apparently told you that have a point and you really are unnecessarily wrong about things, and having considered that, to go forth and learn for yourself which of the many things you're confident in are actually accurate to the limits of the information available to you. That's not admitting any kind of weakness, and it doesn't mean you're dumb for needing to do it. It's just the first step toward being able to form a conclusion that will stand up to the inevitable, expected, and entirely salutary scrutiny it will recieve. That's intellectualism. The best way to make sure no one's going to pull apart your claims with a few minutes' Google searching is to do the search yourself. If it turns out what you're claiming is impossible, admit not only that you could be wrong but that you are definitely wrong barring extremely unlikely errors in basic theory. Being enthusiastic in your claims but tentative in your retractions does not speak well of your intellectual rigor.

See, weird, I'd honestly like to believe that when you scream buzzer noises at people and call great swathes of them idiots, you're doing so after due consideration of the accuracy of your own claims in the interest of promulgating a more correct understanding of reality. Statements that fly in the face of what we know -- and what you can easily find out -- to be true with overwhelming confidence undermine my ability to do that. I then have to ask with greater urgency than I normally do whether what you're saying is accurate, because hey, you might be. And then when I find proof that you're not after a quick search through public archives, yes, I get frustrated. Even laying aside how dangerous it can be to be over-willing to jump to and then present your conclusions (particularly derogatory ones), it's supremely frustrating to see someone so passionate proceeding in a way so unbefitting of their potential. You clearly want very much to be right. That's awesome. The thing you're reading this on can help you be exponentially more so with resources already entirely at your disposal for free. People are tripping over themselves to hand you the information that will stop folks blowing holes in your arguments, and it's better for everyone, sometimes in important ways, if we're all aware of it. Call journals evil for being amoral all you like, but they're not blocking you from reading Wikipedia and clicking the links at the bottom, and that's honestly not the worst way you could start.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2017, 01:48:46 am »

I'll admit I might be wrong about the sulfuric acid thing, but the thing is, I heard it via PBS and got confirmation via a university's school of chemistry website:

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/pso/psov.htm
It is well known that people ‘cry’ when chopping onions but why is this so? The answer is that propanethial S-oxide (often referred to as thiopropanal S-oxide) is released into the air during chopping. Propanethial S-oxide is a lachrymator, an irritant that causes the eyes to fill with tears without damaging them. When a lachrymator comes into contact with the surface of the eye, the cornea, it is detected by the nervous system and triggers a response from the lachrymal (tear) glands. Tears are then produced in order to dilute the irritant. Propanethial S-oxide is relatively volatile and when its vapours come into contact with the eye a small amount reacts to form sulfuric acid, causing the burning and itching sensations that accompany the tears.

And government information warnings about sulfuric acid:

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=254&tid=47
You can also be exposed to sulfuric acid when you touch the material that forms on the outside of your car battery. Sulfuric acid is formed when some toilet bowl cleaners mix with water. Therefore, if these products touch skin or are accidentally swallowed, you could be exposed to sulfuric acid. When you cut onions a chemical called propanethiol S-oxide is released into the air. When this chemical reaches your eyes, it reacts with the water in your eyes to form sulfuric acid, which causes your eyes to water. People have also been exposed following accidental spills of sulfuric acid or oleum. These accidents occurred more frequently at a site than while the substances were being transported.

Also PennState University quoting the University of Nebraska:

https://extension.psu.edu/why-do-onions-make-you-cry
The answer to this question, according to the University of Nebraska's Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources, is simply because of the compound in onions, called propanethial-s-oxide, which is released to the air after cutting onions and subsequently contacts the eye. Sulfuric acid is formed at that point and the eye's nerves stimulate tears to be shed.

Also from the Electric Power Research Institute, Chemical Environment Division's paper on sulfuric acid:

https://www.aep.com/environment/EmissionsAndCompliance/tri/chemicalprofiles/SulfuricAcid.pdf
When they cut onions, their eyes may tear as a chemical from the onions mixes with eye moisture to form dilute sulfuric acid.

And from an article directly quoting a research chemist who specializes in organosulfur and allium chemistry:

https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/why-onions-make-us-cry
For a common vegetable, the chemistry of onions is surprisingly perplexing, says Eric Block. He wasn’t involved with the new study. Still, this chemist at the University at Albany in New York, does know a lot about onion chemistry. ... Slice into it and you unleash a chain of chemical reactions, he notes. Stable molecules in the onion’s tissues transform into a volatile, sulfur-containing gas. This gas reacts with the eyes to form small amounts of sulfuric acid. Sulfuric acid can lead to itching, burning — and tears.

Eric Block is a research chemist and his areas of expertise are listed as:
Chemistry of olfaction -- the sense of smell
Allium chemistry (organosulfur and organoselenium chemistry of garlic, onion, and other genus Allium plants)   
    Natural products chemistry including isolation, characterization and total synthesis
    Organosulfur and organoselenium chemistry; bio-organic chemistry
    Organic synthesis
    Organic photochemistry
    Heteroatom and heterocyclic chemistry
    Small ring chemistry
    Chemistry of 1,2-dithiins and other 1,2-dichalcogenins
So I'd assume he knows a thing or two about onion chemistry

Who am I to believe here if I'm not a chemist? Some random forumite, or a bunch of college chemistry departments and government advisories? Pretty much all of these sources are being very specific and consistent with how and when the sulfuric acid is being formed. And I haven't come across a single expert jumping up to point out that all these sources are wrong.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 02:34:37 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5