Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it necessary to make my hunter part of military?  (Read 1054 times)

Antmf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it necessary to make my hunter part of military?
« on: October 21, 2017, 10:56:11 am »

For some reason I activate my hunting skill on my hunter via dwarf therapist ht commit changes and then I get a mismatch error message. " Hunter cancels pick up equipment Equipment mismatch" and I don't know why. I have given him ammo (blots ) and there is a crossbow sitting in my stockpile. He doesnt hunt. I even assigned him a hunting dog, and still nothing. Do I need to assign him to military? There are wild boar outside my beginner fort and he wont hunt. Please help...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Is it necessary to make my hunter part of military?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 11:13:24 am »

No, it is not - on the contrary, it is imperative that you never assign hunters (or miners or wood cutters) to your military, as their job-specific equipment will conflict with their assigned military uniform.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Antmf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 11:15:41 am »

So how do i get my hunter to hunt ? LOL I am a noob and just started playing...

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 11:55:21 am »

For some reason I activate my hunting skill on my hunter via dwarf therapist ht commit changes and then I get a mismatch error message. " Hunter cancels pick up equipment Equipment mismatch"

In most cases you can safely ignore mismatch errors. An equipment mismatch is just a diagnostic message telling you that your hunter cancelled picking up an inferior piece of equipment when a better item became available. He will automatically collect the better item (unless an even better version appears, then he will post another mismatch and collect that one instead). Mismatch errors commonly appear when bolts are stored in bins due to the bin-locking hauling behavior regularly shifting which bolts are "available"; because of that, storing ammo in bins is not recommended.

I have given him ammo (blots ) and there is a crossbow sitting in my stockpile. He doesnt hunt. I even assigned him a hunting dog, and still nothing. Do I need to assign him to military? There are wild boar outside my beginner fort and he wont hunt. Please help...

Just because a crossbow is in a stockpile does not indicate that it is "free"--the same civilian equipment conflict Quietust mentioned can lead to assigned-but-not-equipped crossbows on miner/marksdwarfs and woodcutter/marksdwarfs. You can check your hunter's inventory to determine if he is carrying all the necessary equipment (crossbow, quiver, and bolts in the quiver). If not, you can either free up your existing equipment (by undrafting marksdwarves) or create new equipment for your hunter.

After your hunter is fully equipped, he will randomly choose to go hunting occasionally (there is no "hunt NOW!" option). You can try disabling some of his other labors to encourage him to hunt more often.

Antmf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 12:19:58 pm »

Ok I made more crossbows and havent even made a military yet . I make the hunting skill active commit chaanges follow the hunter after changes she goes to box where weapon is and doesnt pick it up due to mismatch error I dont understand why she wont pick it up. I have made wooden crossbows along with the crossbows I started out with. Grrr getting frustrated lol I am sure it is something so easy...Anyone else?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 09:15:51 pm »

When in doubt, dump the item and reclaim it.  That will usually fix the issue or give you a hint about what's going wrong.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 09:28:23 pm »

Hunters will throw out 'equipment mismatch' errors once in a while even when they're working fine, so that might not be the cause of your problem. Do they have quivers full of bolts? Are there wild animals on the map? Then they should go out eventually. Disable hauling on them to speed them up a bit. Make sure they're not in the military, and enable hunting.

And start your crossbow construction again from scratch in a new pile. You've probably forbidden something or linked the stockpile to somewhere by mistake. Easily done, hard to diagnose.

Also, try it all again in vanilla. I'm sure Therapist, auto-labor and all that other crap works just fine, but when you have so many 3rd party utils added on, locating the cause of an issue can be difficult.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 09:34:19 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Antmf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 11:45:35 am »

ok for some reason it says that the dwarf that has hunting skill is marked a a miner so when I go to DT and disable all his skills run game then pause again enable hunting start game he goes to stockpile where i have 2 newly made crossbows and i am still getting a  mismatch. Says so miner cancels pickup equipment, equipment mismatch. I forbid all weapons and the claimed them but that still doesnt work. Uggg This is so frustrating...

Antmf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 11:55:59 am »

OMG first off I would like to thank all of you for your help. Secondly for some reason I have cooper bolts that I came with but only have 15 so i made wooden bolts and changed the default assigned amount to what i had which was 75 after I made some wooden bolts. now it works he is actually hunting. I dont know how I did it but I did it lol. Thank you all. Oh if anyone has an idea of what went wrong please clue me in...

Hmmm I think it may have to do with the crossbolts I came with. I am using one of the LNP preset embarks and for some reason he wont pick up the copper crossbow...

Unless auto job assignments is screwing it up?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:24:23 pm by Antmf »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 04:49:46 pm »

ok for some reason it says that the dwarf that has hunting skill is marked a a miner so when I go to DT and disable all his skills run game then pause again enable hunting start game he goes to stockpile where i have 2 newly made crossbows and i am still getting a  mismatch.

Mining, woodcutting, and hunting labors' invisible uniforms also conflict with each other--the game won't allow you to enable more than one of them, but some tools may. With conflicting uniforms, a dwarf will constantly pickup equipment only to drop it and pickup different equipment. Auto job assignments, meanwhile, may be automatically re-enabling mining on your hunter en route to her crossbow, leading to an equipment mismatch when she figures out she then needs a pick instead.

Disable auto job assignments and the mining and woodcutting labors on your hunter and see if she actually starts hunting.

Antmf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 05:10:14 pm »

What do you mean invisible uniforms?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 08:05:32 pm »

What do you mean invisible uniforms?
What Loci meant by "invisible uniforms" is the "job-specific equipment" I mentioned earlier.

When you assign a dwarf to the Military, you can configure their Uniform to specify what types of weapons and armor they should use. The labors for Mining, Wood Cutting, and Hunting have their own hardcoded "civilian" uniforms which always consist of a Pick, an Axe, or a Ranged Weapon + Ammo + Quiver (respectively). Those two different types of uniforms cannot coexist - if a single dwarf has both, then they won't gather their equipment properly.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.