Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War training?  (Read 1372 times)

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
War training?
« on: October 21, 2017, 11:43:13 am »

How do you war train cave crocodiles is that possible?Do they have to be a level of tameness?

Vilkku92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War training?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 02:08:55 pm »

The wiki article says they cannot be trained for war.

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 02:21:33 pm »

I am so sad.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 08:47:11 pm »

You could change it in the raws.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 12:43:41 pm »

Just because they cannot be trained for war does not mean they cannot be used for war.

Make invaders slog through a half-flooded moat filled with chained cave crocodiles to get into your fortress.  Even without training they are probably going to do some damage. 

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 02:53:04 pm »

Just because they cannot be trained for war does not mean they cannot be used for war.

Make invaders slog through a half-flooded moat filled with chained cave crocodiles to get into your fortress.  Even without training they are probably going to do some damage.

I frequently reference my first personal project, that of a trap that dropped live saltwater crocodiles from above onto indavers
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 03:57:05 pm »

Alternatively I'm sure you can use drawbridges to weaponize your aligator, making them effective projectiles. Pull the lever, watch them fly on the helpless enemy, then gnawing on the survivors. If it works, patent it and get rich.

I have a similar idea with capybaras. I'd call it the captapult

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 09:58:20 pm »

I'd have called it the Capypult.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 10:34:05 pm »

I'm just gonna build a large pit with anything I can find from the elves (savage biome, fun stuff already walking across the surface and the elves seem to be in a similar biome, they've brought giant stuff already) and one of the local necros to release the circus into. Fortify Mr. Necro into a box with good sightlines for the combat arena surrounding him (Bridge of Khazad-Dum style, Balrog and all!) with, hopefully, some giant creatures ... captured goblins, captured elves, captured undead, captured humans. Captured megas/semimegas (note to self: build trap for special snowflakes that dodge regular ones) ... the works. Dragons would be great.

This is my current fort. Large bridge above the magma to dump extra clowns in, leading into a sealed chamber with a meeting hall, a necromancer, and a LOT of mostly dead things. We'll see how many clowns he can reanimate before they get into that thing. Probably gonna need a double flooding mechanism - after all, undead don't breathe, and hopefully the surviving clowns aren't fireproof.

Magmaproof, I should say.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 07:22:23 pm »

Probably gonna need a double flooding mechanism - after all, undead don't breathe, and hopefully the surviving clowns aren't fireproof.

Magmaproof, I should say.
If you are going that far, subject them to a "carbonite freeze": flood the chamber with water, then with magma, then drain and mine out.  Carve the resulting obsidian stones into statues that resemble the clowns trapped within.  Display them around your fort so all can bare witness to your might. 

While I am reasonably certain most clowns are magmaproof, I am also certain few of them are safe from being flash-frozen into volcanic glass. 

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 11:20:07 am »

Make that "none" - not even fire based clowns, which stopped TAG's original cave-in plans, are not immune.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 11:48:38 am »

TAG's cave-in plans, or checkerboard you mean?

I did the pdf revival of that post a few months ago.  Good stuff.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 01:59:31 pm »

Before checkerboard, he tried to cave in. Game crashed.