Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bomber Crew - FTL-slightly-inspired WWII Bomber Frantic Strategy  (Read 4077 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile

Hello there!

A bit surprised there isn't a thread on this yet.
Bomber Crew is a game in which you command the Crew of a Bomber ( :o ) in a cute version of WWII, clearly fighting Nazi Germany.

Controlling the crew reminds of FTL - you tell them to move around stations, perform actions or skills (which are unlocked as they level up), heal other people, bring ammo to a turret and so forth. You can also order the crew to bail out or to perform an emergency landing, and the survival of the crew will depend on their survival score.

Although a seemingly small game, it has enough details to kill you in different ways surprise you. Keep your Bomb Bay Doors closed, your Landing Gear raised, and tell that damn engineer to get back inside - no use fixing a broken engine during landing!

Steam page here.

There's different classes of crew, and they perform their role better than other crew. Although an Engineer can fire a turret, don't expect accuracy!
The classes are comprised of the Pilot, Engineer, Radio Op, Navigator, Gunner and the Bomb Aimer.
Completing certain missions might give you perks for the next couple of missions, like lowering enemy damage, on raising your damage, and so on.
There's also "enemy aces" which might appear in a mission - if you have enough firepower, you might be looking for those..otherwise, plan accordingly.

You can customize your plane and upgrade it, which include armor, engines, turrets, equipment racks (and choose their contents), systems, and so on.

I saw a picture and bought the game, as anything with some FTL levels of inspiration is enjoyable for me. I'm having fun.

Mind that in the first missions, I felt rather frustrated. The game has no tactical pause and that's a design decision. It can take while to get used to all that's going on, and the game's not forgiving (don't try ordering an Emergency Dive and then telling the pilot to go elsewhere).

Game has permadeath, and if you lose your bomber..you lose your bomber. Depending on death conditions, some crew might still be rescued.
My tip is...learn the game before getting attached.

And some piece of info on the major criticisms of the game at the moment - rather unnecessary if you want to go blind.
Spoiler: The cons (click to show/hide)

Let me know what you think! This came out of nowhere to me, I insta-bought it and found it to be a very neat game!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:04:09 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Bomber Crew - FTL-slightly-inspired WWII Bomber Frantic Strategy
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 01:15:26 pm »

I tried this and refunded, the first time I've done that on Steam. Basically, I came to the realization that the content (and challenge) of the game is based on having to do everything by yourself. The crew are really an illusion since, for example, for gunners to shoot at fighters you must manually mark them to be fired upon. Bombs won't drop unless you click the button etc. So the design is based on player having to do everything while giving an illusion of commanding the dudes. But as they lack initiative to do anything, there is little command aspect.

This doesn't mean it is a bad game. It just means it is not a game I want to play. This coming from someone who enjoyed FTL.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 02:44:38 pm »

Pretty much how I felt too. It just didn't feel like there was any depth to be found outside the basic mechanics introduced in the tutorial.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 07:58:04 pm »

While I understand that the lack of an actual 'command' aspect might be disappointing, the game still has a lot to offer. There's a fair bit of depth to be found just in kitting out your crew and aircraft before you even get to the skies, and the gameplay is really more of a time and resource management thing than a 'give general orders and watch them get followed' thing.
Nothing important here, move along.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 11:08:11 am »

This is probably the most sadistic game i ever played. Literally, the first few mission are easy enough getting you into the game until you finally have the first proper missions thats where shit hits the fan.

Where before you had to control only your seven dudes and thats it now there is also flak to consider, aces to consider, while your electricity and hydraulics suddenly give up for no reason, as your plane is threatening to fall asunder because you didn't shoot those planes down fast enough, all the while you frantically switch between navigator for a new heading, engineer to fix the damn parts falling apart, your bomberman to drop the bombs and at all times you are two hands shorter than you should be because you have no dedicated medic and no dedicated fuel and extinguisher guy.

Its hilarious sadism as the game then begins to transform from you frantically clicking around trying to hold together this damn piece of crap you call a b12 into the game version of Blackadders 20 Minuters.

Maybe i am horribly bad at this game but so far none of my crewmembers survived more than 3 missions without dying. For example i lost one machine, not to enemy fire, not to storms, not to anything serious but to forgetting to pull up the landing gear and watching in awe as i ran out of fuel on top of the atlantic, crashing at high speed to my doom. My pilot bungled up the Emrgency Landign and since you have the sweet choice between first aid kids you definetly need to not die horribly and parachutes you need to maybe save crew which is dead anyway, i saw an entire crew taken out by landing gear.

10/10 Would lower life expectancy below 20 minutes again.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 11:40:05 am »

and the gameplay is really more of a time and resource management thing than a 'give general orders and watch them get followed' thing.

Yep. Although a little weird that you have to do everything by yourself, I still find it fun.

After I save scummed to about 1/4 of the campaign, so I could at least get the hang of the gameplay without stressing myself too much, I started over legit and I'm probably 70% through the campaign without dying.
At first I thought the game could reach the "indie gem" level of "rank", but I still keep my overall opinion on it being "very neat" and "fun".

Like in XCOM, losing that crazy-good gunner will make you hate yourself in later stages. As you complete critical missions, the game gets harder. Losing people (or the bomber) becomes a real issue.
But it's damn satisfying having an expert crew with dakka-upgraded guns ripping aces apart, I think there's only 2 alive now. I also enjoy that there are certain things later on that might chew your tail or wings off if you don't pay attention, even if you're flying a heavily armored bomber.

Maybe i am horribly bad at this game

Not really. I think people don't want to believe the game IS hard and takes a while to "get", just because it looks cute.
Honestly, after I "got" it, re-playing it was a breeze. It only got a bit tricky after completing the 6th campaign mission or so.

Of course, read "a breeze" as "sometimes coming back to base full of holes and 2 people uncounscious being healed"
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 12:16:01 pm »

Yeah, even my "easy" and "medium" missions often end with multiple engine losses and missing landing gear (or even an entire missing bomb bay!) but I still love it. You really have to know when it's getting too hairy and abort, otherwise you can easily lose a lot of people if you have to put down or bail out behind enemy lines. Also, pro tip - do not emergency land if your landing gear isn't down or you have no engines/fuel/tail. You will nosedive and kill everyone. Ask me how I know.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 12:42:56 pm »

Game designed for clicks per minute type players?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 01:43:52 pm »

I wouldn't say it's clicks per minute. You don't have to be fast so much as coordinated. Knowing what to concentrate on when is far more useful than being able to do a lot of things at once, as is knowing how much you can get away with before your crew start dying and your plane hits the ground.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 02:05:56 pm »

But you are still screwed anyways if you can't keep up with the clicking right?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 04:55:07 pm »

Huh, this seems right up my ally, particularly since I loved the chaos part of FTL and similar games, and am always terrible at the strategy part.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 07:39:25 pm »

I think I might try this. I respect the decision not to have tactical pause but I do wish that there was at least an option or an upgrade to have my crew automatically complete repetitive tasks like going to get ammo when the guns are dry, so that I could focus on the actually fun part of the game, which is making difficult decisions, right? I still have to manage reloading, it's just that I'll lose because I didn't reassign my gunner, not because I forgot to keep telling him to reload. Isn't that what FTL was about? You didn't have to tell your guys to keep shooting, just where to shoot, and they did their jobs. Though I did hear that you can get a skill for your radioman that makes him automatically mark enemies, so maybe that's more present than it seems.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:43:11 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 07:44:21 pm »

There is an upgrade you can get that automatically restocks ammo, but it's quite disappointingly only for the rear turret.

That said, from my experience the front turret doesn't usually get used enough to need refilling and the dorsal and ventral turrets are close enough to the ammo that the time spent getting their gunner to reload is tiny.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 01:21:11 am »

BronzePickle knows what's up.  :P

IMO, by checking a few gameplay videos and my own experience, most deaths happen because people gamble too much for too little. Getting that extra recon picture isn't worth a full crew and a bomber. Not knowing when to go home causes more losses than anything.

On clicks per minute, speed helps, but is not the determining factor. IMO it's priority and coorination. Saw at least two people flying with their guns dry between engagements. Just like in movies and most games, leaving enemy fighters unsurpressed by turret fire means they will not only land most if not all of their strafe, they will also hit where it hurts - this includes killing a crewmember  / taking out an engine in one burst. It's not super common, but the damage still will be crazy high.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 07:59:00 pm »

Wow this game is a lot more interesting than most reviews make it out to be, I'm enjoying it quite a lot and have already done 3 campaign missions (the critical ones). It's when things start to go wrong and pile on each other when the game really shines, and this game would make for great AARs.

I already have a few favorite heroic characters, Elena Slater, the heroic midwife from London who bled out after treating both my gunners and the engineer who went aft and went down from flak. Brian Cambell, the black aviator who corkscrewed his bomber to victory and then crashed it later, etc. etc. (TIL not to corkscrew with missing engines at low altitude).

This is one of those games I get really immersed in for some reason, and has just enough depth to make it interesting yet it's not too challenging. Already I've learned how to manage altitude pretty well-- just go to high altitude as soon as you bomb your objective and set heading roughly towards base, and just cruise it out for a while and descend now and then to change course.

Overall I think the game is pretty interesting, and while others seem to get mad and call it a grind fest when they lose their plane and crew suddenly, I think that's part of the thrill. I feel really immersed almost all the time, even when flying out of base for the first minute or two, just imagining my aviators nervously chattering before entering the meatgrinder that is mainland Europe. The potential for epic stories is really there, and most of the upgrades really aren't that important. Crew are what really matters, and you can usually save one or two during a bail out if you really need to.

Pretty solid game overall, I would place it up there with Silent Hunter, just the aviation side of the war. Wouldn't call it a realistic or historic simulation, but it gets the job done pretty well.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars
Pages: [1] 2 3