Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bomber Crew - FTL-slightly-inspired WWII Bomber Frantic Strategy  (Read 4073 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Bomber Crew - FTL-slightly-inspired WWII Bomber Frantic Strategy
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 03:31:27 am »

I loved the look of this game but found it brutally impossible to run on an average machine. 10FPS max is just not enough to play a fast paced game like this so I refunded
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 07:15:23 am »

I loved the look of this game but found it brutally impossible to run on an average machine. 10FPS max is just not enough to play a fast paced game like this so I refunded
You don't have average machine. My cheap ass laptop with integrated graphics and old-ass Pentium processor runs it at 30.

DO IT AGAIN BOMBER HARRIS
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 11:24:36 am »

You don't have average machine. My cheap ass laptop with integrated graphics and old-ass Pentium processor runs it at 30.

then something in the game makes it have a spaz fit on my computer because no other games do this
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 04:49:38 pm »

I like this game but my experience is that things get so bad in such a short period of time that when I do lose, I have no idea why.  Because I was too busy trying to salvage the situation to notice the details.

It seems to me that the most important thing to surviving is having a crew around ~5.  All the crew except bombers and maybe the radio operator have a few simple skills that make a huge difference to surviving.  Right now I'm caught in a loop of recruiting a crew, winning a mission or two, then having a TPK when the bomber crashes.  I have learned a few things that result in failure consistently.  Namely, most of my failures involve losing track of the plane's altitude and position, or one way or another the pilot's seat becoming unmanned.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 05:22:47 pm »

Yep, it can be incredibly upsetting. The worst one I had was when the bomber's Mk3 Armored Tail fell off and I died within 3 seconds, and there was only 1 fighter around me.
Until you can understand the skills and the whole micromanaging thing, your mind will be too focused at one or two things to realize that your left fuel tank was completely annihilated in one pass, and if you don't shift fuel immediatelly, you're going to die.
Of course, at the start, at the time you realize this your engines have already stopped.

It can be pretty brutal, but I think that's great. It makes mastering things and finishing missions without issues a lot more satisfying!

And skills definitely help and can simply make the difference between losing everything or surviving. Saving Auto Tag for those moments where you have to pay attention to the bombing and maneuvering is critical, because untagged fighters will rip through critical systems and crew members. Being able to quickly set a nav point away from the insanity, ordering the pilot to High Altitude and the Engineer to boost extremely quickly is also a common trick if things get out of hand.
There's no punishment from aborting missions, except having to do them again. So this game really messes with our pride.  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 05:34:10 pm »

I think I'm going to stop buying upgrades for a while.  Just get a real basic loadout (the only essentials seem to be armor on the two gunners, and oxygen/thermal on the engineer), and gather some money.  I lose WAYYYY too much time to making sure the tailgunner has ammo, once I have some money saved up I'm going to try and always keep enough in the bank so that I can immediately buy an autoloader for them.  I've also been trying to keep multiple medikits and extinquishers on each plane (no parachutes unless there's parachutes for everyone, that's my policy), and honestly it seems like a waste of money.  Yeah I do frequently end up with two people downed in the same mission, but I also frequently end up with TPKs, and one of those things is a bigger priotiy.

One thing that can help immensely is that you can jam... pretty much infinite ammo into the turrets whenever you want.  I think you could theoretically stay on the runway until you have 20 belts loaded, but I do not have time for that in my life.  Do you know if I set a manual waypoint towards the objective, if the plane will veer off course or if I can just forget about navigation?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 05:39:40 pm »

I haven't really noticed any veering off course when not updating heading. Your plane just flies in one direction until you tell it to fly another direction.

This is good when you just bombed your target and have 10 fighters on you, since you can set course home and boost to high altitude.

It's bad when you forget heading after bombing your target because of critical damage, and fly deeper into Europe.... Oh boy, the fighters don't stop coming.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 05:41:21 pm »

"The plane dropped its payload over France... we suspect they be attempting a ramming attack on this very bunker, mein Fuhrer!  We must evacuate immediately."

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 06:34:35 pm »

On a completely unrelated note, one of these days I saw a thread on the first page of the Bomber Crew Discussion Board titled something like "Is this game just anti-german propaganda", with the OP saying something like 'all those WWII games are getting old with this anti-german bullshit". There was 20 replies at the time.
I held myself for days not to read it. Today I went on to look for it and it is gone - probably deleted.

I'm pretty sure it was the bait of the decade and I missed it.
Sorry, just had to put this out there.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 09:31:40 pm »

On a completely unrelated note, one of these days I saw a thread on the first page of the Bomber Crew Discussion Board titled something like "Is this game just anti-german propaganda", with the OP saying something like 'all those WWII games are getting old with this anti-german bullshit". There was 20 replies at the time.
I held myself for days not to read it. Today I went on to look for it and it is gone - probably deleted.

I'm pretty sure it was the bait of the decade and I missed it.
Sorry, just had to put this out there.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 06:23:50 am »

I really want to like this game for its premise, but when I tried running it I get tremendous lag. Not even bad framerate really, I'm used to bad framerate - it's just that every action with the mouse takes about a second to register. :|
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 04:59:09 pm »

With the Halloween Update, they added a "Slow Time" [hold CTRL] feature along with a way to quickly peek inside the bomber [hold SHIFT], along with being able to move the camera with WASD, and hotkeys like pressing R to order a crewmember to reload/head for the ammo box, F to head for the Rest Bed and P to head for the pilot station.
There'll be a reward if "slow time" is not used, and it can also be disabled. There was some bug fixes and a slight difficulty rebalance.

Haven't tested yet, but sounds good!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 05:30:06 pm »

Ooooh hotkeys! I was already really keen on getting this but now I think it's a must.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2017, 01:39:20 am »

Things that do not crash the plane:

1. Injecting a lean fuel mix while the pilot is still on the runway.

2. An enemy fighter crashing into the plane.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2017, 10:42:28 pm »

Things that do not crash the plane:

1. Injecting a lean fuel mix while the pilot is still on the runway.

2. An enemy fighter crashing into the plane.
3. Ramming into a friendly spitfire
Pages: 1 [2] 3