Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: TRASHWORLD [WIP]  (Read 6558 times)

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
Re: TRASHWORLD [WIP]
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2016, 07:34:32 pm »

Yeah, you could do a lot with castes for a machine race.  Maybe something that's kinda like ants too.  Workers, Soldiers, Hunters, Scouts, and a machine "Queen" that can produce more of them. 

This reminds me, back on the Sonic mod brainstorming page, we suggested that you could slightly modify the zombification interaction to make something like TV Robotnik's Robotification machine.  You can't create "living" robots out of non-living metal in DF, but you can make a reaction that would transform an animal or citizen or prisoner into a robot.  Robotified people could replace DF zombies.

What if, instead of robots that converted corpses to other robots, there was some sort of psychotic wasteland mechanic (the equivalent of necromancers in vanilla DF) who can install chips in the dead brains of corpses and even install various bits of metal plating across their bodies, effectively raising them as undead "cyborgs" who mindlessly follow their leader and attack all enemies?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 12:53:24 pm »

Yeah, you could do a lot with castes for a machine race.  Maybe something that's kinda like ants too.  Workers, Soldiers, Hunters, Scouts, and a machine "Queen" that can produce more of them. 

This reminds me, back on the Sonic mod brainstorming page, we suggested that you could slightly modify the zombification interaction to make something like TV Robotnik's Robotification machine.  You can't create "living" robots out of non-living metal in DF, but you can make a reaction that would transform an animal or citizen or prisoner into a robot.  Robotified people could replace DF zombies.

What if, instead of robots that converted corpses to other robots, there was some sort of psychotic wasteland mechanic (the equivalent of necromancers in vanilla DF) who can install chips in the dead brains of corpses and even install various bits of metal plating across their bodies, effectively raising them as undead "cyborgs" who mindlessly follow their leader and attack all enemies?

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 02:45:07 pm »

So, my adventurer just got torn apart by bogeymen, and I got a new idea.

What if, instead of bogeymen, it's mutated cannibals, who only come out to ambush lone travellers at night.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 12:52:05 pm »

Something to consider for a forest civ: do forests have to be trees?  Remove all trees from a particular biome (or the whole world if you prefer) and replace them with something else... Trash heaps, twisted pieces of abstract art, weird alien growths... Then make a race of people who live on them for whatever reason.

You read my mind there! I actually wanted to remove almost all varieties of tree and replace them with cable towers, dead trees, girders, etc, but I'm not sure how- I haven't exactly found a comprehensive guide on tree modding. Any advice you might have for me?

Throwing it out there, you could re-determine how growths come about by modifying some kind of faux robotic non-cave moss or substitute with custom properties. If most of the world is going to be desert and sand (as per editing out grass entries, therefore denying trees even if left in the game) using a alternative moss (which is only really discriminate of stone unless you meddled with it, perhaps to conform to a 'concrete' enviroment) will just crop up when put into contact with the appropriate biome it is in to spread on embark naturally.

Cyber-grass of a malevolent AI routine running overtime post-the apocalpyse. Neato.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 06:26:39 pm »

Hey, so is it bad if I got caught in a burst of gas that leaked out from a damaged bipedal war mech? I shot it's lech with an antimech lance and it started leaking red gas that sprayed onto my adventurer.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2016, 09:39:52 pm »

Could concrete be a soil layer? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2016, 06:06:53 am »

Hey, so is it bad if I got caught in a burst of gas that leaked out from a damaged bipedal war mech? I shot it's lech with an antimech lance and it started leaking red gas that sprayed onto my adventurer.

It'll irritate your lungs, but not much else. Blast away!

I'd definitely like to integrate something like that. Fawkes is handling a lot of the materials stuff right now, so I'll ask him about it!

By the by, I'm still tinkering with the various roaming droids, and I have a question- does anybody know how to mod in an interaction akin to shooting a fireball or spraying fire, but instead making it launch a metal projectile instead? I'm trying to give some of these buggers shoulder-mounted cannons, but I'm still struggling with how I'd make that work.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2016, 10:58:26 am »

It'll irritate your lungs, but not much else. Blast away!

I'd definitely like to integrate something like that. Fawkes is handling a lot of the materials stuff right now, so I'll ask him about it!

By the by, I'm still tinkering with the various roaming droids, and I have a question- does anybody know how to mod in an interaction akin to shooting a fireball or spraying fire, but instead making it launch a metal projectile instead? I'm trying to give some of these buggers shoulder-mounted cannons, but I'm still struggling with how I'd make that work.
You could make a simple material emission of some kind of metal, but the game will describe it as "spinning" in the air.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2016, 03:39:33 pm »

I put a chest cannon in a cyborg I made.

Using the verbage tags, you can have it shoot a hunk of metal with the flavor text that it just fired a bullet/shell from its mounted gun.

Spoiler:  GUN! (click to show/hide)

I don't recall if you can add, say, a velocity modifier/penetration modifier to these.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Codyrex123

• Bay Watcher
  • The Core shall be ours!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2016, 12:47:38 am »

So um...
Two wasters just died by a bi-pedal mech, that damn thing is harder to kill then a roc in base game, and its a ambush spawn!? XD
How was I suppose to put out the fire on me though, it breathed fire (Love it, I'm imagining a mech painted to look like a dragon) and I didn't have anything to block it with, then I tried to jump around and the fire just melts all the snow and set the grass on fire, it was impossible to escape the fire that I had on me.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2016, 06:54:00 pm »

So um...
Two wasters just died by a bi-pedal mech, that damn thing is harder to kill then a roc in base game, and its a ambush spawn!? XD
How was I suppose to put out the fire on me though, it breathed fire (Love it, I'm imagining a mech painted to look like a dragon) and I didn't have anything to block it with, then I tried to jump around and the fire just melts all the snow and set the grass on fire, it was impossible to escape the fire that I had on me.

The best strategy I've found for fighting war mechs is to use the antimech lances that wasters and scavvies carry.

Even more importantly, make sure you are covered in water (frequently jump into small lakes/water pools/streams) before and during the battle. It keeps your character from catching fire.

Stay close to the water source during the battle too, in the event that you do end up catching fire.

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2017, 01:06:55 am »

Sorry to necro, but in light of the rather momentous recent update, I've decided to revamp and re-release this mod! Any suggestions for new additions are welcome- mechanics, factions, creatures: anything you can think of, I'm open to it. Starting work on it now, hopefully I can get everything already in the previous version ported over to the new build by the end of tonight (though maybe that's being a little optimistic. We'll see.)

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2017, 01:19:03 am »

Sorry to necro, but in light of the rather momentous recent update, I've decided to revamp and re-release this mod! Any suggestions for new additions are welcome- mechanics, factions, creatures: anything you can think of, I'm open to it. Starting work on it now, hopefully I can get everything already in the previous version ported over to the new build by the end of tonight (though maybe that's being a little optimistic. We'll see.)
PTW, this looks great!
Have you messed with caverns? You could make them significantly more hostile, perhaps even a cavern dwelling race of formerly-humans who tried to escape from the worst of the wastes, only to suffer significant mutations from the previously mentioned wastes. I imagine random body parts missing (fingers, maybe a hand or a leg, chunks of flesh, etc...) and twisted broken skin with puss-like ooze secretions, tortured grim eyes and teeth that are mangled beyond recognition. The mutations could give them enhanced agility and reflexes as well however, which would increase their deadliness significantly if they're any good at dodging. Also maybe even radioactive/toxic blood with an ingestion symptom that causes the victim to go insane? Might be a bit of a stretch but hopefully you get something out of the ideas!
Edit: What I suggested sounds like trashjumpers from what you said in the OP, but I'm not sure if they're a cavern race not. Either way I didn't realize the similarities, my bad.
Edit 2: Along with them you could also turn the caverns into another wasteland with things like toxic sludge and super mutant creatures, but I would try to make it a little more !!fun!!. I'm not sure what direction you want your mod to go but creatures that are a little weird like the 40d tentacle monster almost seem a little fitting for some deep secrets in an apocalyptic shithole :D it would certainly be a fun discovery to say the least.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:28:48 am by Toxicshadow »
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2017, 07:00:59 pm »

I'm actually gonna see about altering the who ecological makeup of the cavern layers tonight, if I can make the time for it! I appreciate the suggestions, and will take them into account.
Pages: 1 2 [3]