Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you start a new fort without losing the old one?  (Read 599 times)

Lorgothae

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Can you start a new fort without losing the old one?
« on: April 28, 2008, 01:48:00 am »

Hey, new player here.  I was just wondering if you can start a new fortress without abandoning your old one?  Even though it is my first fort, I'm doing pretty well with my current one, and shows no signs of decline.  But after having read the wiki and the forums, there is a lot of stuff I'd love to try with a new fort from scratch - do I have to Abandon my current fort to do so?  The fact that the continue screen seems to want you to select which save to continue from(even though there is currently only one option) seems to make me think you can, but I have no clue how to do so.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Can you start a new fort without losing the old one?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 02:02:00 am »

Should really be in the gameplay questions forum.  Oh well, we may never recover.

Anyways, the multiple save screen refers to different worlds.  It is entirely possible to generate a new world and start a new fort on that world without abandoning your first fort (on the first world), but you cannot start a new fort on your first world without abandoning the old one.

That was confusing.  Here's a simpler explanation:  One world, one fort.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 02:16:00 am »

If you are not particularly attached to your dwarves you can abandon the fort, then reclaim it later when you want to play it some more. You will get all new dwarves but all the buildings and stuff will stay there (though the items tend to scatter around everywhere).
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 02:43:00 am »

Just create a new world, and you're good to go!

Of course, you could just make a backup copy of your world's save, and go from there...  In fact, if you just copy and rename the save directory, I think it will even show both on the continue playing menu.

Still, it's probably easiest to just generate a fresh world, after which you just have to pick which world whenever you load.

[ April 28, 2008: Message edited by: Keldor ]

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 02:44:00 am »

Save your game and quit, go into the DF folder, copy the region folder for that world and paste it in the same folder (making a copy of the folder). Restart DF and it'll think that there are two worlds, though they're both (technically) identical except for the folder name. Abandon one and you've still got the other  :)

But yes, aside from that little exploit, it's pretty much as Kagus said: One world, one fort (at a time)

Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Lorgothae

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

Alright...thanks for the info guys.  Ends my confusion at least!

And my apologies for posting in the wrong forum.    :eek: