Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where you hang your hat  (Read 713 times)

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where you hang your hat
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:31:00 pm »

Do you have a map that just feels like home, a map that you simply can't bear to not play on?

For me, that would be the atoll I discovered. The pre-made defenses, the loads of iron ore and natural fuels, and the possibilities of doing massive water-based projects without ever leaving the fortress walls just add up to a place that's a joy to play for me. I've played it so often that it's familiar. My Mountainhome.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Where you hang your hat
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 08:38:00 pm »

seed nao plx
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Squeegy:
<STRONG>seed nao plx</STRONG>

It's generated with 33g..

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 10:54:00 pm »

I've never really had a location that I've played for more than a year or two on, but there were two I liked...

Seed #7777777 (33g) had a location with just a little of everything (except caves, which I have yet to find in any of my games). Not overly interesting, but I started a large tower on it, and I expect to finish it later.

Seed #111121519 (38a) had a 3x5 location where you started some four tiles away from a magma pipe and there was epic amounts of Hematite (yay, iron), including a vein that usually popped up next to the wagon; there was also a decent helping of gold (yay, gold) and vast amounts of Galena (yay, ga... wait, wtf does this do? Uh... lead/silver? Er... slightly cool?). No flux or sand, sadly, but the fact that you could easily get a working forge up before you even started a Mason workshop makes it pure win. When I'm done with the tower, I'll probably come back to this one.

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 05:12:00 am »

I'm so boring...I hate to admit it but my favorite kind of map is just a flat plain, maybe with a little bit of brook in the corner so if I want to play around with water projects later I can.

Even with construction currently being a huge pain in the ass there's just something I love about the challenge of trying to build something from nothing. One of the most satisfying fortresses I ever had was built on a wasteland - no trees, no vegetation, just red clay as far as the eye could see and an aquifer like two levels down. The only remotely useful thing on the entire map was a handful of camels. I'd brought ten pieces each of stone and wood and was able to spare enough for four cage traps, my miner dug some long channels to herd them  into them and when they bred they became my trade goods and the only source of my military's equipment for the longest time. Eventually I turned the place into a huge farming empire and was able to trade for enough wood to build a neat little aboveground village, not exactly epic but it was a lot of fun.  :)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 05:52:00 am »

Sounds epic enough to me.  I haven't had the patience for aboveground construction yet.  Maybe after some time, or a streamlined construction interface, but not now...

I once tried making an Aztec village aboveground.

Three huts, a halfway-decent quarry, and one dead giant leopard later, I just let it sit until I overwrote the world with the next version.

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 07:44:00 am »

I like to have major rivers so I can make moats. Apart from that, my map i've got my fortress on at the moment is cool. Major river meeting the ocean, exposed veins of coal, iron, petrified wood (whatever that is) and platinum. Several different gem types. The only downer is that it's one of those rivers that partially freezes over in winter, drastically increasing the chances of an accident.
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 09:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DuncanFrost:
<STRONG>petrified wood (whatever that is)</STRONG>
Fossilised wood  ;) Much in the same way that amber is fossilised tree sap and things like coal derived from fossilised plants/animals.

I'm another one quite fond of having a moat. The map I'm currently playing on, I've built a moat right around a fairly large area which has ample trees and plants to gather and a magma vent in the corner. Lots (and lots) of hippos and carp in the river outside my little domain, should I ever get a bit bored, too  :p

Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 11:06:00 am »

I'm planning on building a Hammerite (bonus XP if you know what this is) temple sometime soon.  I'll have to do some minor modding, but I should be able to set the thing up.

Of course, I'll have to write the story of its rise to power.  From small chapel to grand war cathedral with extensive forge systems below...

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I'm planning on building a Hammerite (bonus XP if you know what this is) temple sometime soon. </STRONG>

Religious sect from the Thief series, who construct buildings and machines as part of their worship.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 12:29:00 pm »

Yup.  Ain't it just lovely?  What with how they worship The Builder, you can build traps and forge weapons and other necessary supplies without having to come up with some weird excuse as to why there's a forge in the chapel.

Gonna have to mod it so humans only wear robes...  And tweak a few other things as well...  Just for kicks.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 04:02:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DuncanFrost:
<STRONG>The only downer is that it's one of those rivers that partially freezes over in winter, drastically increasing the chances of an accident.</STRONG>

Just mark the river restricted, and build a few bridges that aren't restricted.