Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Stories and Discussion!  (Read 4629 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Stories and Discussion!
« on: October 30, 2017, 05:28:30 pm »

Hey folks, it was brought to my attention what there was no official thread for this game.

Here's a link to the website

If you like old-style Neverwinter Nights type RPG electronic video games on the PC's, this is the game for you. Top down, turn based, and multiplayer enabled. I have 70+ hours in the game I'm in, and we just hit Act 4. Contains strategic combat, near-infinite character customization, absurd side quests content, and some ah, detailed romance options.

The voice-over is truly phenomenal. Be sure to take [PET PAL] on someone in your party, and try to imagine someone making these voices and sounds in front of a microphone.

At this point it is one of my favorite games of all time. Who else plays? Got any good stories? Post em' here! Be sure to use spoiler tags!!!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 12:43:33 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Stories and Discussion!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 09:29:05 pm »

I've beaten the game once with an undead good character. It was an enjoyable experience. But at the same time I could feel the limitations that came from how it's not really feasible to rewrite the entire game around undead characters so there was a lot of strange moments where things just don't mesh. For example, your character getting drunk with someone (wut? I don't even have a liver) or you just wandering around town with an open face helmet and no one cares.

In that playthrough I had Fane, Red Prince, and Sebille. By the end I only really liked Sebille as the other two were so boring. Sure, Red Price was smarmy and posh and suave but his entire story is so boring. Don't get me started on Fane. He's like that really nerdy DND loser who refuses to admit he's a fucking loser and thinks he's so superior to everyone because his fantasy barbarian is awesome. I hated his stupid ass. I only didn't kill him because I was roleplaying a good character.

So I did all that, got one of the good endings, blah blah. Overall I would rate that campaign as a 7/10. I also actually finished it, which speaks volume to its quality as I very rarely finish RPGs.

-----------

But that's not all.

A few weeks later I was itching to try it again. I was just planning on trying out new builds and play on Honor since I actually knew how to play now. I became an Elf, cause Elf is easily the best race in the game with a free bonus AP skill that also gives 10% extra damage. How the hell does anyone compete with that? It's so damn good. Having an extra AP point straight up makes you 20% stronger than anyone else without that. Breathe fire? Everyone gets +1 in stats? A worthless petrify? Playing dead? That's all trash compared to extra AP.

Anyway, since I completed all the good stuff and pretended to be a hero and all that already, this time I decided to actually play how I wanted to play. This time I fucked everyone.

Oh my god. This campaign I'd rate at a 9/10 easily. It's so much more fun. I can't believe the amount of content the devs put into the asshole, evil, and barbarian actions. The reason I normally play the good guy even though I don't like to is because generally speaking you're forced to be the good guy anyway. It doesn't matter if you want to kill everyone, most games find some contrived reason to make you be a good saintly person anyway or straight up prevent you from doing the things you want to do. But here? The game doesn't care if you straight up murder the main quest giver, which I do. All the time. I kill everyone who sassed me. Killed all the magisters. Ate everyone's souls. Murdered everything. My current character has no time for shit and no time to be insulted.

And I enjoyed the fuck out of it. I love how people react to you when you are some kind of demon god. All the [VILLAIN] tag options. The [BARBARIAN] tag options are particularly my favorite, since you basically tell everyone to shut up. My very first response to Fane was to break his face and it felt so good. I slaughtered the Red Prince when he sassed me. I stole all their shit and I felt damn good.

I highly recommend it. It's so rare that a game just lets you do whatever. I think the only real limitation I've had was how I can't kill Malady. That's kinda about it. I should also point out the combat in Honor mode is really good but there's no way in hell a newbie can do this difficulty so I only recommend it for those with experience.

-------------

In regards to the combat itself. In general I think it's really good, but there are a few things that bug me. For example, I really don't like how the turns are locked to YOURS > ENEMY > YOURS > ENEMY, etc. So your turn priority is completely stupid as you always end up with opposing factions alternating anyway. This makes that stat completely and utterly worthless. I also don't really like how the game kinda incentivizes you to either go full physical or full magic. Because trying to go both makes it that you spend too long trying to whittle down both armour and magic armour in order to CC the enemy. Most people probably complain that solo mages can't do shit since the mage has to spend all his AP just destroying the magic armour before he can even status anyone. It would have been way better if there were more status effects that could penetrate them, making mixed parties more viable.

But that's about it. The combat is excellent otherwise. The biggest thing I think to learn about the combat is that there's no "fixed classes" in the game. Just take all the skills you want from any class. My current character has 2 in necromancy, 2 scoundrel, 2 huntsman, etc. etc. I just take everything and grab specific skills. No reason to lock yourself to a specific skill tree. There's absolutely no reason why an archer cannot have teleport, and you totally should have teleport. Makes for super fun classes since you start to plan really complicated builds.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 10:06:30 am »

old-style Neverwinter Nights type RPG games

I was upset by this. Have i become an old fart already?

Also post to watch.
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 06:05:37 pm »

Also post to watch.

Neverwinter Nights 2 is 11 years old. I feel your pain :3

@umiman
I'm playing through with a buddy, and we are..... Chaotic Good? We will generally pick the morally positive option in quests, but also we have robbed every single living thing that can be robbed. Sebille is able to take 36k gold from everyone she meets. Additionally, we do hand out SWIFT EXTRAJUDICIAL JUSTICE to people we deem deserving of it.

For instance, we got caught stealing from [a bad guy's] house by the [local constabulary]. We were looking for evidence of [horrific crimes against all life] because we knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that [horrific crimes against all life] were going on. Therefore anyone who tried to stop us was on the wrong side of JUSTICE. We did everything we could to avoid a fight, but ended up vaporizing him. And besides, the [local constabulary leadership] is at this point clearly super-evil.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 08:13:33 am »

Also post to watch.

Neverwinter Nights 2 is 11 years old. I feel your pain :3

But I still feel like it came out just two years ago...

Efit: oh and do so I'm actually contributing to the duscusdion: one of my main issues with the original original sin  (And quite frankly, every divinity game I've played) was the awful inventory system which was just a complete chore. Did they improve it any in the sequel?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:16:43 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 10:57:58 am »

If you like old-style Neverwinter Nights type RPG games

I'm sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine. But saying "RPG games" is literally saying "Role playing game games"

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 12:48:37 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you like old-style Neverwinter Nights type RPG games

I'm sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine. But saying "RPG games" is literally saying "Role playing game games"

Fixed.

Also, our main tactics involve physical damage. My Sebille can waltz up and do 4k+ damage with one of her special abilities. We actually very rarely use magic-based CC. My Summoner uses surfaces to summon his incarnate (who we have affectionately dubbed "Satan") but that's pretty much just blood surfaces.

Additionally, while there are surfaces like water, ice, blood, fire, poison, etc.... each one can be cursed or blessed, each of which adds additional tactical effects. The AI will absolutely use this properly and to terrifying effect in many cases.

Huge amount of depth.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 02:45:12 am »

Also, is it possible to craft pants in this game? In the previous game, there were no pants, but sarongs, which gave no protection but had various bonuses, depending on the loot quality. But in this game, pants are now giving some protection, so it would make sense if they'd be craftable.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 05:54:43 am »

You don't really want to craft armor in this (with one exception) as they can't be improved with stats. Basically they'd be your very last option if you can't find anything in the stores or loot.

But to answer your question, no. You can't. Only chest armor can be crafted.

Thievery or murder is your best bet for gear. Thievery is overpowered actually. If you max thievery early you will never want for money, gear, or anything really.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 06:12:04 am »

Efit: oh and do so I'm actually contributing to the duscusdion: one of my main issues with the original original sin  (And quite frankly, every divinity game I've played) was the awful inventory system which was just a complete chore. Did they improve it any in the sequel?

The inventory is terrible. It's a wall of items that can take several clicks to move things between characters if you are playing solo. Pillars of Eternity handled it way better with the group stash.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 01:26:13 pm »

The inventory is terrible. It's a wall of items that can take several clicks to move things between characters if you are playing solo. Pillars of Eternity handled it way better with the group stash.

I just right click and item then click who to send it to.

But yes it is effectively the same inventory system. Clutter abounds.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 08:06:52 pm »

I just right click and item then click who to send it to.

But yes it is effectively the same inventory system. Clutter abounds.

Unless you want to send an item to the character you have highlighted, then you have to swap to a different character first. It's a small niggle in a good game, but due to the amount of items a party can accrue in a short time, it means regular downtime for inventory management.

Combat is enjoyable, but can be cheesed fairly easily. Mobility and teleportation are the appetiser, knockdown is the main course. Warfare just brings damage and cc so much faster than other trees, especially with a shield. Minions can be potent, but it is usually some quick maths as to whether it is worth summoning or just burn down the next enemy in the queue. Always summon the cat though. There are more explosive barrels than in City 17 and Nova Prospekt combined, and a small investment in TK can drop them in advantageous places. Or furniture on peoples head for that matter. Magic is expansive although somewhat underwhelming.

It's a good game though, and I really enjoyed it. Next run through I do will have many differences.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 08:39:53 pm »

My summoning thoughts:

My Incarnate Champion (aka SATAN), the bread-and-butter summon of the game, can do 4-5k damage in a round, easy. He can also teleport and knockdown in a line. He can taunt. He gets multiple ranged attacks, and can taunt. I never, ever summon the cat. If I need to move somewhere, I can nether swap. My summoner uses a wand and board is the actually the tankiest person in the party in terms of overall armor/magic, so really I generally just park somewhere and spew Satans and party buffs.

I don't need to switch characters. I just right click->select from dropdown. I am in multi though, perhaps its different.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 09:10:24 pm »

My summoning thoughts:

My Incarnate Champion (aka SATAN), the bread-and-butter summon of the game, can do 4-5k damage in a round, easy. He can also teleport and knockdown in a line. He can taunt. He gets multiple ranged attacks, and can taunt. I never, ever summon the cat. If I need to move somewhere, I can nether swap. My summoner uses a wand and board is the actually the tankiest person in the party in terms of overall armor/magic, so really I generally just park somewhere and spew Satans and party buffs.

I don't need to switch characters. I just right click->select from dropdown. I am in multi though, perhaps its different.

Incarnate is a good summon, but some encounters can be blasted through in a round or two. I also don't remember it being able to teleport. Cat is a superior nether swap, and can allow a character to cover huge distances in a single turn. I also recall getting good results from some spider queen thing, and plant artillery. I think the plant cost source though.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 10:53:02 pm »

My summon ranking list:

1. Incarnate
Super awesome. Does massive damage, can heal / damage / CC / whatever. Also comes with knockdown and whirlwind to combo with your team. At all levels will be stronger than your strongest melee character except when it comes to crits or skills. He can also climb up ladders and stuff.

2. Bone Widow
Ultra damage and ultra HP. Only problem is it doesn't have any magic armour so either you just accept it will never have magic armour and let it tank CC for you, or use magic shell on it. Does ginormous damage, but even with 0 summoning it still does a lot. Can teleport.

3. Inner Demon
Summon a stand. M'fucking JoJo reference. Really useful for melee characters.

4. Artillery Plant
It's really useful since it has three great skills. Hell, one of them is a source skill for you normally. So it's a great value point for your source. Also really tanky and does great damage in autoattacks.

5. Lava Slug
Turn the room into fire. Comes with fire laser. Good times.

6. Oily Blob
Useful. But dies easily. But you kinda want it to do that actually as not only is it tanking hits for you, but on death it slows everything next to it. Not to mention the "summon" for it does big damage that scales off your strength. Nice if you're running Polymorph 2 for some reason.

7. Dragonling
Really more of a support than a damaging thing. Comes with a bunch of useful skills. Completely worthless if you're not going for magic damage though.

8. Cat
Meh. Just there to tank hits. Theoretically you can use it as an early game nether swap, but it's really buggy and frequently doesn't work. Does like no damage.

9. Condor
Worse than the cat

10. Ifan's wolf
Why the hell is this garbage his source skill? This thing is so trash and is so expensive.

-----------

If you're minmaxing the game, summons tend to be the way to go. After all, you win this game by having more AP than the opponent, and specializing in either physical or magical damage. Summons are an excellent way of having more AP than the opponent as they typically only cost 2 AP for 4 AP over many turns.
Pages: [1] 2