Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving to Melbourne for studies, tips and tricks  (Read 1768 times)

Nightcore Angel

• Bay Watcher
  • Noice! Now, keel over and DIE!!!
    • View Profile
Moving to Melbourne for studies, tips and tricks
« on: October 31, 2017, 04:38:03 am »

Ok, so im moving to Melb soon enough, and problem is...none of my family members have ever been there. Please give me advice on living/surviving/thriving there. Any topic is acceptable; culture, etiquette, money/budget management, social norms, dangers and warnings, etc.
Tourism or hotspots are ok, but, im more on to looking for how to actually continue to sustain my life functions rather than sightseeing (albeit doing so is nice), so yeah, survival is of concern XD. Also, not just Melb, tips for Aussie/Victoria in general is also welcomed.

Thanks in advance  ;D

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to Melbourne for studies, tips and tricks
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 05:40:37 pm »

I do believe forumite Yoink used to (still does?) live in Melbourne.

Drop him a PM. At the very least you'll figure out good places to drink.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 05:26:35 am »

I live in Melbourne I'll be happy to help out.

1) When you get a myki card for public transport, register it online at mymyki.com.au. Then if you lose the card or it gets stolen, you can request the balance to be transfered. Plus, you can set up automatic top-ups from your bank account. The myki card works for all types of public transport.

2) ptv journey planner is the Melbourne public transport planning thingy. You punch in two addresses and it works out the public transport options you have. It's not always optimal however (sometimes you can work out a quicker / easier way that involves a little walking between stops) but it's usually in the right direction. Trams are the easiest way to get around.

3) meetup.com has a bunch of social events such as anime watching, boardgame nights etc. This is something you can check out ahead of time.

4) The cheapest mobile data is with Vodafone if you get a pre-paid plan (Pay As You Go Plus) then entirely rely on daily data top-ups. Basically, I have a $40 modem that's got a mobile SIM card in it, and I use that to connect all my phones and devices (it's better to keep this separate from your normal phone because if you run out of the cheap data it eats up all your phone credit). I'll explain how to exploit the system for cheap data all the time:

- You buy the "daily" data, which is meant to expire after 1 day, however they only check for expired data at midnight. So ... if you recharge after 12:01 AM it will last 48 hours. Additionally, the front-end billing system says that you ran out at exactly midnight, but the actual back-end doesn't seem to expire your data to around 1AM, so you can quickly use it up. Also, if you recharge with existing data, or before the back-end system realizes you have expired data, it rolls over the old balance into the new one.
- As for the "daily data" pricing - $3 gets 2GB data. $5 gets 4GB, and on the weekends (fri-sun) they have double-data on some options. e.g. the $5 one gets an extra 4GB on the weekend, so $5 for 8GB. I buy one of these on friday and sunday to cover me 4 days of the week, and the $3 ones during the week. So ... if I pay $16 a week I get 20GB of data.

5) vegemite. Make sure you absolutely cover the bread with vegemite. If you see any spot with visible bread poking through make sure to slather on another good knifeload of vegemite. I can't stress how important it is to make sure there's a high vegemite to bread ratio. x)

As for culture, I'm not really sure what sort of tips to give you unless I know what sort of culture you're from. Australia is very multicultural. Basically I'm surrounded by Israelis in my neighborhood in Caulfield. It completely depends which part of the city you move to. Expect to meet tons of people of different races, basically.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:34:35 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 09:51:57 pm »

Yoink's tip-top top tips, pt. 1:
  • Buses are very easy to fare-evade on, as ticket inspectors rarely ever venture onto them and the drivers don't care - for added safety just grab a seat near the rear door, so if inspectors do get on you can just touch on real quick, or dive off the vehicle at the earliest opportunity if you prefer.
  • "Shelvin" is not someone's name. Unless it is, in which case you should introduce them to Yoink because the comedic opportunities are endless.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Nightcore Angel

• Bay Watcher
  • Noice! Now, keel over and DIE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 02:29:46 am »

XD
Thanks guys, lol, shelvin and vegemite, im coughing right now but i cant help to laugh on your replies, my throat hurts...ugh...
Ya, anyway, based on some research i had,
1. heard business culture in aussie in general is pretty lax?
2. WH40K seems to be a thing there?
3. Also, there seems to be a localized version of rugby?
can you confirm these claims @Yoink / @Reelya ?
beh...i sound like a lawyer  (‾_‾')

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 02:43:39 am »

Corporate culture tends to be less formal than England, yes, but that's a relative thing. Don't turn up in a singlet and thongs (flip flops) with a tinny of beer to work. People still wear suits.

WH40K is a thing everywhere. Australia is an English-speaking nation. We take advantage of all English-language media. So you'll be able to find pretty much any American or UK stuff here.

There are several football codes, it's a regional thing. AFL - Australian Football League is the football code mainly popular in the Melbourne region, it originated here. There are teams in other states, but AFL is still heavily dominated by teams from Melbourne.

NRL is National Rugby League. It's the dominant football code in most other states, and it's compatible with international rugby, so those guys play against teams from New Zealand, South Africa and other regional Rugby playing nations.

BTW this Aussie made a guide to how Americans try eating vegemite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWgRMBOY7TM
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:48:00 am by Reelya »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 08:23:01 am »

Hi hello I too am a Melbournian.

- Melbourne, like much of Australia, is pretty laid back. Don't be a dick, you'll be fine. It's much milder weather-wise than Sydney, and is famous for its weather changing in the blink of the eye.

- NRL is most popular north of a particular point in NSW. AFL reigns supreme in Vic, except amongst NZ and Polynesian migrants.

- Myki can be a little confusing early on. It's the ticketing system we use. I'll enclose more information about it in a spoiler, as it can get messy.

Spoiler: Myki info (click to show/hide)

- There are numerous lovely places to visit just outside of the city. If you're into pleasant mountain hamlets, Belgrave and the other local towns (Olinda, Upwey, Monbulk) have a wealth of things to do and see, all nestled in rainforest terrain and reasonably accessible by public transport.

- There's heaps to do, quite a music scene (i believe that was part of the reason Yoink moved down here to begin with), plus like i said easy to access pleasant places to visit.

- Business culture is comparable to everywhere else. If you're a professional, you wear a suit and tie. If you're a tradie, it's considerably more lax, though you still must adhere to workplace safety laws (eg. no unclosed shoes).

- AFL is not an NRL variant. It is closest to a blend of the indigenous sport Marngrook and Irish Gaelic Football. It lends itself to lots of aerial back-and-forths and big leaps from the players, which looks visually pretty clean compared to the scrums that form in NRL. It is derisively called aerial ping-pong for this reason, sometimes.

- I wouldn't risk fare evading, the fines are punitive. While Yoink is right that the inspectors rarely check buses, drivers vary between entirely not giving a shit and ordering you off the bus if they notice your myki making the characteristic "donk donk donk" declined sound. Train inspectors are extremely common. Tram inspectors are common outside the CBD's "Free Tram Zone", who wait to pounce on any passengers who've failed to touch on before leaving the FTZ. Fines last I checked were $200+ for fare evading.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 01:53:14 pm »

i've been to good old' straya' once. i was still in the air force then.

i remember meeting my friend dale and getting drunk at his place down in brisbane. we originally wanted to visit the mana bar but got sidetracked. a giant spider crawled up his wall and he said "hold my beer" and stood up and gave it a right straight and splattered it.

ah, Australia.

it's a magical place.

ok, actual things you can try:
try the local sweets. i remember musk sticks. they're like these weird pink straws made of indeterminate matter that are delicious and enforce compliance.
try kangaroo meat. i hear its pretty good, health wise.
oh right, also, get used to good-natured ribbing if you make friends. it's in the tone, a warm "ay, what's up ya cunt" it's a good thing. "fuck right off, cunt" is not.

yeah sorry for the flaccid contribution, i was led around by my friend, we ate at a mcdonalds (my friend told me a few hidden menu items i can't remember), we got lost on the way to the mana bar, and then ended up hanging at his house and playing games with the bros and getting drunk.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:19:10 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 04:37:32 am »

Yes hello I am also a Melbourne

make fun of Sydney and you'll fit in fine
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 10:05:10 am »

Also complain about the wildly variable weather, it's a common bonding topic.

e.g. you'll leave the house and it's freezing cold, then by that afternoon you're boiling hot. Beware of that issue, happens more often than you'd think. I have a nice really big army coat that I used to wear in winter in NSW / Sydney, but even though Melbourne is colder I don't really use it here, since it's hard to adjust in case the weather changes and I'm left carrying this huge heavy coat around.