Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: [47.05] Zombies Ate My Dwarves - Monster Mash  (Read 59862 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: [44.07] Zombies Ate My Dwarves - A Spooky Halloween Horror Pack
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 04:20:16 pm »

Graboids would be a surprisingly suitable cavern critter (with ass blasters being - unknown to the dwarves and anyone else - a wandering reproductive phase of the same critters on the surface.) Could be thought of as smaller, bitier, grumpier cousins of the Giant Earthworm.

Haha, I probably wouldn't keep the "ass" part of the name since I want to avoid outright vulgarity in my mods :P that said they could all be fun critters, even if I cannot make them shift from one form to another when reaching a certain age.
I was thinking of putting the Graboids in the deserts instead, since the caverns already have the aforementioned Giant Earthworms. The Earthworms aren't actually that huge - Horses are bigger.
As for other bug critters that could be fun, I was thinking of the atomic ants from Them!.

Bigfoot is already technically in the vanilla game as the Sasquatch, as well as the Yeti. They're just limited to savage areas (which you probably already know, being a modder and all.)

I know of them, but I was thinking of diffrentiating Bigfoot from them - perhaps they'd appear at a very rare chance in even non-savage forests, but they wouldn't be as aggressive and violent as the Sasquatch and the Yeti - instead, they'd be cowardly and run away super fast - if you can catch them then goods made from their bodies would be worth a lot (or alternatively worth very little since other races would think its just the bones of a normal primate) - capturing the thing and selling it would be worth a lot too, since you just nabbed an extremely rare specimen.

Predators would make for a good civ with both "good" Predators, ala the ones we usually see in the films, and "evil" Bad Bloods. Bad Bloods would behave much like goblins, often fighting openly and wantonly slaughtering anything they happen upon, while the regular Predators could be possible allies, and if angered, fight more like Elves, always attacking from ambushes. I almost wish I could do the idea of a Predator in finely crafted dwarven armor justice in a picture for a mercenary in a fort. Light on armor, but strong weapons and far greater strength and endurance than most of thier foes would have (which would also make them highly sought after mercenaries.)

I wasn't aware of that aspect of the Predator story - my initial intention was for them to be a hostile civ (probably thieves - doesn't make much sense, but then them being babysnatchers makes even less sense imo and I require atleast one for them to be hostile to dwarves) that hunt dwarves for sport as they consider them worthy. The ambush-only idea is pretty spot-on though, along with them mostly having light armor, strong weapons and higher innate attributes.
I wouldn't worry about the merc stuff, since you can get those even from hostile civs - in Modded Hell we got a retcher-type zombie visitor that originated from this pack.

Xenomorphs could make for a delightfully deadly foe as well, in the caverns and roaming the surface of evil biomes, along with an optional civ addon to have hordes of them attack your fort. If going by the comics, they'd be fast and very good fighters, but surprisingly not quite as durable as you'd expect - a solid crack to the head with a sledgehammer can kill them pretty easily. This would make them fairly glass cannon-y enemies.

I did actually think of making them into a "civ" so you'd get sieges and ambushes coming from them. Not sure if I'd make them cave-dwellers (makes more sense, but also prevents them from spreading) or forest retreat dwellers (makes less sense but lets them spread - I suppose story-wise it could be explained as them having overtaken some elves). Glass cannon would go without saying - maybe except the queens who would be slightly tougher.

Space Clowns seem more like they'd be part of the Circus Freak ranks, but I do like the idea of an Alien Invasion set of enemies and creatures; what form that'd take though... Yeah, I got nothing apart from the Aliens from Fallout, since they weren't super feeble and were capable enough when they had to fight.

Hahaha, the Space Clowns would actually be a reference to this movie. They'd probably be evil biome dwellers, rather than a full on civ, since the freaks already fill their niche.

Like I mentioned, for the hostile Alien invaders I was thinking of making them look like the Martians from Mars Attacks - skull-faced and with an exposed brain - or the pointy-eared versions from Zombies Ate My Neighbors.
For armor they'd probably just have space suits and glass domes - as for materials they would probably only use their own unique stuff - a fake "glass" material for the domes, and something called like extraterrestrial/cosmic fabric and metal - fabric would be for the suits, metal for weapons.
For weapons it'd be a bundle of stereotypical sci-fi weapons - gauss rifles as a ranged option, stun-sticks, electrostaves and power fists with high velocity that cause knockback as strong blunt options, and probes for a weaker blunt option (and because, of course, they need to have probes) - for edged options, maybe something like protonic axes ala New Vegas and some type of syringe-esque weapon for piercing. I'd love to give them stuff like rayguns but as energy weapons aren't possible I'll have to pass on those (aside from the pets they could have, like the aforementioned flying saucers - or tripods, that'd be another thematically good idea).

A non-hostile alternative (or addition perhaps) would just be the standard Grays - they'd probably share some of the same weapons and armor, but they wouldn't be innately hostile - that said their values and ethics would most likely be really weird leading to some worldgen shenanigans occasionally.

If you're curious, another reason why I wouldn't add the Space Clowns as a caste to the freaks, is because the former are just be a particularly strange alien life-form - as for the freaks; while the cannibals just have the regular organic creature classification, and the zombies, skeletons and pirates have the undead classification, the circus freaks have the same creature class as the Faceless Ones from my Warcraft pack, as well as similar beings from my cave revamp and Darkest Dungeon packs - so that's some food for thought. Needless to say, I had way too much fun thinking up of why these things would even exist in the world and why they are the way they are, despite this pack being mostly silly or crossover stuff and most of the invaders, including the freaks, being my own takes on various tropes and archetypes.

I would like to suggest a Mothra mega beast. It wouldn't exactly be 'horror' per-say, but it would definitely fit into the existing feel of the pack. Plus, he's an easily recognizable, but much under appreciated monster.
That would be a neat idea actually, definitely gonna write it down.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2018, 01:42:42 am »

Why not do both with the graboids? No reason something that can dig through concrete can't make its way into the caverns if faced with sufficiently soft rock. Also I actually didn't know that about the wroms. i pictured.... i dunno, something more akin to a Rift Worm from Gears of War I guess. Just as a giant mostly-nonthreatening earthworm. Speaking of which, could do a Rift Worm as a megabeast, or just an obscenely large, seldom seen cavern creature that could feed a fort for years if one was killed.

To the predators, I learned about it by chance - I was bumbling along through xenopedia when it came up with a link, so I followed it through. Bad Bloods are basically the psychopathic assholes of the Predator world, which is quite a feat for a race of psychopathic assholes, but at least the ones with thier honor will fight alongside those they deem worthy of such respect, and don't slaughter innocents needlessly.

And you can always make the Xenomorph "civ" optional, and a decent explanation of using forest retreats is to have them set up shop in tropical forests and wetlands - they prefer warm moist ground to build thier nests, and its the closest approximation that anyone could use to describe this particular variant's open-air hives.

Cryptids could be fun, especially since some could be seen alone or as parts of other existing critters - Grootslangs for example, could be seen in thier own herds or mixed in as a rare caste of elephant, and Thunderbirds could be a smaller more easily domesticated - that is, nonmegabeast - relative to the Roc, Melonheads could be odd little surface gremlins, and Ents and Man-eating trees could be seen in savage good and savage evil biomes respectively, and employed by the factions that utilize such critters, and Khorkhoi in savage deserts and badlands that will stop at nothing to get to you food supplies.

Granted, I'm spitballing at almost 3 in the morning, so feel free to disregard.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2018, 03:07:26 am »

I'm not sure if I would add ents or thunderbirds since they go into a more fantasy-ish direction and not cheesy horror - though the man-eating tree sounds like it'd be a fun evil biome dweller. I'm kinda disappointed now I didn't do a giant maneater plant ala Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors the first time around - I'll definitely get to making one alongside the man-eater tree.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 05:31:35 am »

Maybe you could do triffids as well while you're at it? They were an old cheesy horror movie as well, basically being man sized plants with a killer venomous sting that actively hunted humans for nutrients.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 11:47:48 am »

When I made xenomorphs, I found they worked better as an animal. If you make them a civ, they often end up wiped out in wars because everyone attacks them for not speaking. They also don't use weapons, wear armor, or have pets. I strongly suspect not having those provides major penalties to how the game calculates worldgen battle outcomes. This way, you can get quests to hunt them down as well. Not trying to tell you how to do it, just wanted to share my experience with them.

I've also found predators seem oddly weak in worldgen as well.

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: [44.10] Zombies Ate My Dwarves - A Spooky Halloween Horror Pack
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2018, 06:41:16 am »

Updated the full packs to 44.10 - no actual raw changes yet. I've gotten a bit ahead of myself and started working on my evil biome revamp early, so it'll still be a while before I do work on the aliens and other new creatures for this pack - figured it'd still be useful to update to 44.10 as its a pretty highly anticipated update.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: [44.11] Zombies Ate My Dwarves - Mars Attacks!
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2018, 05:26:37 am »

Update music

Updated to 44.11, and it's a larger update this time, including quite a lot of new creatures - most notably the various alien invaders. I admit I'm not entirely familiar with Predator/Xenomorph lore so I apologize for any mistakes with them.

Spoiler: Cryptids (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Miscellaneous (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wild Aliens and Robots (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Alien Invader Races (click to show/hide)
That should be it for now - I was hoping to do 2 more creature sets before releasing, but I don't know if I'd be finished with them before having to head off for vacation, so I figured I'd release this update now. If I manage to get the two sets done this week, I will release another update - if not, you will have to wait until I'm back.
The first set was supposed to be an expanded Doom monster list, including the new monsters introduced in Doom 3, Doom 4 and Doom 64, as well as the redesigned classic monsters (the originals would still be there, but, for example, alongside the classic Imp you'd have the multi-eyed Doom 3 version with some different capabilities, or the two-mouthed Pain Elemental from Doom 64).

The second set is a bit of a surprise that I wasn't initially planning on doing for this, but I figured I should to make up for the long wait before this update - if you want to know what is, feel free to take a gander through the game files.

That should be it for now, hope you guys enjoy this update!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 05:32:20 am by ZM5 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2018, 02:55:42 pm »

It's a good thing a piece of art I'm working on is taking mea while, otherwise I'd miss out on knights battling xenomorphs. Of which they're the only one I have nitpicks for. Far as I know there's not anything in the expanded universe besides Spitters that can shoot acid (and their heads are massive weak spot because they store the acid they spit in sacs along the top and sides of thier head,) and thier tails aren't ovipositors that would spray venom or acid - they're solid bladed/bashing weapons.

I'm also a little sad the Bad Bloods (that is, the dishonorable, psychotic, and dregs of Predator society,) weren't included as the hostile predator faction, as on the whole they're perfectly willing to work with members of other races who prove themselves to be capable warriors - more than one human has managed to earn the respect of Predators they fought beside, or the respect of that Predator's clan for besting one of thier own in single combat - but hey. Can't have everything and I'm perfectly happy with this otherwise :D

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2018, 03:43:33 pm »

Damn, oh well - I was kinda expecting I'd get stuff wrong mostly on the Xenomorphs, even outside of stuff that cannot be simulated properly in DF. For the acid spraying I mostly went off the drone variation of the Xenomorph in MKX, where it did have an acid-dripping stinger that could do a short-range spray. Nonetheless, gameplay-wise it should atleast prove interesting having to deal with their sieges.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: [44.12] Zombies Ate My Dwarves - Rip and Tear!
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2018, 02:46:25 pm »

Major update - added in a lot of new stuff, plus altered a lot of existing creatures.

For one, I made a few adjustments to the Xenomorphs to help them survive worldgen better - most of these kind of break how they're actually supposed to be, but they're kind of neccessary for gameplay purposes. For one, the Queens can now talk, so they should be able to form peace agreements instead of consistently getting obliterated by constant wars in worldgen. The drones are also now female breeders to help them replenish losses.

Pirates had a few minor adjustments - for one, they have munitions chestplates to give them a bit of defense, and they also have truncheons which use the mace skill (so they'll be called Anchormen even if they come with a truncheon) - its mostly so the non-Whale anchormen aren't useless, as they previously were with the massive anchors they'd only be able to wield.
The Whales themselves are now a tad smaller - they also have a lower innate agility, although to make up for it their natural strength and toughness is higher.
The Anglers have a higher innate agility, the Snappers and Skeletal Pirates have a higher innate toughness, and the Sharkheads have higher innate strength.

The castes of the Zombies and Entertainers have had a similar treatment in regards to innate attributes - the Meatchompers of the zombies have higher agility and strength, the Oozecrawlers have higher agility, and the Bonegrinders have higher strength and toughness, but a lower agility. For the Entertainers, the Strongman has higher base strength and agility, whereas the Bearded Woman has a higher strength and toughness.

As for the new content, it is mostly creatures from Doom 64, Doom 3, and Doom 2016 - aside from the outright new creatures that were introduced, I also added in some of the redesigned versions of the classic ones as separate creatures, using names from either Doom mods or the Doom RPGs. Not many changes to existing ones, although you may be happy to know that the Pinky types (including their Doom 3 version) are now tameable and trainable as pets. The non-Doom 3 cacodemons also move slower.

Along with that, to make up for the recent lack of updates, I've went ahead and done the creatures from Hexen and Heretic, which includes several wild creatures that show up in evil biomes, as well as a new invader race. There's also three miscellaneous creatures that I'm not sure why I didn't add before.

Spoiler: Doom 3 creatures (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Doom 2016 creatures (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Miscellaneous (click to show/hide)

That covers it - big thanks to Splint for many of the suggested tweaks and rebalances! Hope you guys enjoy this update. Next I'm probably going to be updating the Darkest Dungeon pack with the new Color of Madness content.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 02:48:35 pm by ZM5 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2018, 11:48:54 am »

I'll snap this up and play around with it with your other packs, see how my humans fare when the fighting begins.

For those interested, everyone appears to be able to spawn assuming one uses just ZM's own stuff, on a medium world with a modest history of some 200-ish years.

I've got a long way to go with my own mods before I can make the story fort featuring this and the others though (railguns and bolters and saw gloves, oh my!)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2018, 12:02:05 am »

Just what any one of your packs needed, *a buff*. Most of your creatures are already a death sentence, but hey, that's what Dwarf Fortress is all about.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2018, 04:40:22 am »

I'll snap this up and play around with it with your other packs, see how my humans fare when the fighting begins.

For those interested, everyone appears to be able to spawn assuming one uses just ZM's own stuff, on a medium world with a modest history of some 200-ish years.

I've got a long way to go with my own mods before I can make the story fort featuring this and the others though (railguns and bolters and saw gloves, oh my!)
Good to hear that then, was worried Xenos could still have some issues surviving worldgen.

Just what any one of your packs needed, *a buff*. Most of your creatures are already a death sentence, but hey, that's what Dwarf Fortress is all about.
Hee hee. Tbh I did nerf some of the syndrome causing attacks, but yeah, there's a greater variety of stuff out there to kill you. Gonna do the same with the Darkest Dungeon pack, that one could require some fine-tuning of syndrome attacks too.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2018, 01:28:49 pm »

Released a tiny patch - I misplaced some of the files resulting in some of the original invader and interaction balancing changes not carrying over - this should be fixed now.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2018, 06:31:41 am »

Minor update - I've added sounds to most of the horror movie creatures that they'll make in adventure mode - aside from that I fixed an oversight with the Snatchers - they seeminfly weren't appearing due to lacking LARGE_ROAMING - they should properly spawn now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8