Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human Farms...  (Read 1546 times)

Grimm Spector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Human Farms...
« on: October 31, 2017, 08:32:08 pm »

I have farm plots, and I can't plant seeds for any season...they're above ground, and I have barley, potato, strawberry, rice, lentil, red spinach and cotton seeds...and the plots say I have nothing to plan when I try to use them. "No seeds available for this location". Anyone able to shed some light here? Going to be real hard to feed people...

ST753M

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Human Farms...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 08:37:51 pm »

Are you on a mountain or a freezing biome?  I don't know if masterwork changed it, but at least in vanilla there aren't any seeds that will grow in those places. 

Grimm Spector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 08:55:30 pm »

Temperate biome, not sure what biome, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't mountain. I'm sitting on reasonably level meadow grass by a brook. Nothing fancy. A friend playing has all seeds listed, including ones he doesn't have, but as you can see below, all four seasons show as in the image link.

Very strange to me. Never seen it.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 01:09:48 am »

Well if nothing else, you can always set a gather zone around any fruit trees you find. Some people consider that "cheating" though, because trees always drop 100 of meals a year.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Grimm Spector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 01:04:38 pm »

Well if nothing else, you can always set a gather zone around any fruit trees you find. Some people consider that "cheating" though, because trees always drop 100 of meals a year.

I had no idea they dropped so many, that's crazy...thanks! I am unsure if I'll do that, it does seem kind of cheaty.

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 06:25:06 pm »

On the other hand, assigning the gather food job to everyone is a good way to force dwarves into the sunlight. They'll patiently stand around the trees while 2 dwarves (or however many stepladders you have) gather fruit from above.

OP, did you check if those seeds grow in temperate climates? Because many can only be planted in tropical biomes, and during certain seasons. The wiki has a crops page with an overview of what can be planted where, and when.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 10:22:05 am »

Yeah, farms have always been sorta broken - some seeds will work, others don't.  Each map you'll likely get access to tons of plants, but only a small handful can actually be planted and the rest just don't work.

You'll just have to experiment.  Plant the seeds that plant, and eat/cook/still/grind the rest.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 10:39:35 am »

Man, I thought this was about farming the humans themselves...
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 04:23:56 pm »

Man, I thought this was about farming the humans themselves...
i read the title and was like dang that's dwarfy
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.