Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33

Author Topic: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Karikhita, 1904 Battle Phase  (Read 27549 times)

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Karikhita, 1890
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 12:33:36 am »

wooops I misread Madman's post I thought he was voting in support but I had needed to run off to work before I could reread stuff.

Armour is a good idea and will have tons of pay off. I like our Water Wolf's design success along with the Cheap quality. Bear Armour will be Cheap too hopefully.

Glory to Karikhita!

Bear Armour: Thanatos_Russ
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 01:54:29 am by Thanatos Russ »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 02:17:47 am »

Baring another good revision popping up I'd think this would be helpful too.
Quote from: Votebox
Bear Armour: (2) Thanatos_Russ, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 02:33:06 am »

Baring BEARING another good revision popping up I'd think this would be helpful too.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Karikhita, 1890 Revision Phase
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2017, 04:54:48 am »

Here's another good revision. Although, I think the armour would also be decent.

Impaler Lance: Halberds are great and all, but they have two flaws: they're expensive, and they're heavy. Our military theoreticians predict a future in which heavy cavalry is a thing of the past. Yet we cannot simply abandon the horse, and its awesome shock power. So, we developed the Impaler, a 3m long lance, consisting of a wooden pole tipped with a steel point, weighing just enough to not snap on impact, without encumbering the wielder.
We shall distribute Impalers to new 'Lancer' units, who shall serve as the 'coup de grace' (to borrow a phrase from our French visitor) on the battlefield, charging into faltering enemy units to break them, or be employed as flankers. 

I mean, both the armour and the lance will become outdated in a decade or two, as firearms become more advanced. Though I suppose the armour could be upgraded as time goes on, extending its usefulness, where the lance is 100% dead-end tech.
I dunno. I think lances would have a greater immediate effect, though, whilst being harder to fuck up. I'll vote for the lance, though I won't be torn up if the armour wins.

Impaler Lance: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2017, 08:26:21 am »

The big issue is that for the next few turns everyone's dependent on either crappy matchlocks or bows, and cloth armor stiffened as this type will be is REALLY effective against arrows. Especially if we upgrade it with a design to a lamellar-like cloth and thin metal plate sandwich. They *appear* to have developed a cannon and are revising ? it onto a ship, according to TOP SEKRIT LEAKED INFORMATION that really shouldn't have been posted in another thread.

It's going to suck to be them when they discover that 'Mongolian tactics' don't involve massed infantry begging for cannonballs to the face.

Bear Armour: (3) Thanatos_Russ, Jilladilla, Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2017, 08:31:55 am »

Maybe we should revise the arrows into "fire arrows", which are basically pipe bombs on a stick. This way those would be still useful against say, ships, chariots, cannon crews (?) and pike infantry formations, while emphasizing on our Mongolian tactics of shooting things from a horse with a bow.

Also revising it onto a ship? Are they revising their chariots into ships or something, because I don't think they started with a ship and I doubt Piratejoe would be so balantly biased at the very start to give them one design action instantly.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:33:40 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 08:50:43 am »

They *appear* to have developed [redacted], according to TOP SEKRIT LEAKED INFORMATION that really shouldn't have been posted in another thread.
Uh. Not cool, dude. I get that they accidentally posted it publicly, and that you didn't seek out the information- but now that you have it, you probably shouldn't be sharing it. And really, you should endeavour not to use it.

The right thing to have done would be to sit out the remainder of this turn, until what they developed is public knowledge.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2017, 09:05:30 am »

Given that the entirety of the (brief) discussion was about how salty their team has already gotten...it might not even have been their final design.

Regardless, with or without that knowledge, I would've voted for some sort of body armor and agreed on the ship thing (Or, you know, argued over how to do the ship thing so we didn't get [possibly] hard-countered at sea in the first turn). I just wanted to share a good laugh over the futility of designing a cannon when your enemy rides horses in somewhat loose formations.

It might hurt at sea, but we'll...see.

Kot, I do believe what you want is the hwacha with a bit of extra explosives. Which would be HILARIOUS at sea.... Ships are one giant fire hazard, after all.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2017, 08:47:14 pm »

Bear Armour: (3) Thanatos_Russ, Jilladilla, DoubloonSeven
This all seems good, you can add my vote.

Avanti!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2017, 08:48:00 pm »

Actually, you can add your vote, but we *do* prefer that you find the most recent votebox with which to do so.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2017, 08:57:01 pm »

Yeah... Always quote the latest Votebox.
Bear Armour: (4) Thanatos_Russ, Jilladilla, Madman, Doubloon7

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2017, 09:41:36 pm »

I... did not actually notice that. Sorry about that, just one of those mistakes.

Avanti!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2017, 09:46:40 pm »

'Ello chaps, it is I, your french friend, who may or may not be here to watch anyone else who decides to join a side without saying something in the main thread.

Because that was really a rude surprise, Kot.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2017, 09:57:15 pm »

Bear Armour: (4) Thanatos_Russ, Jilladilla, Madman, Doubloon7
Impaler Lance: (2) NUKE9.13, strongpoint

We need shock troops
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2017, 10:02:05 pm »

I vote we survive the (massive) number of arrows FIRST, and utilize mostly-useless tactics later.

Because honestly, until the widespread advent of serious, nearly arrow-proof armor, horse archery was the way to go. Even Roman legions got destroyed by horse archers.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33