Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Addiction and Drugs  (Read 1517 times)

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Addiction and Drugs
« on: January 24, 2018, 08:48:08 am »

In any sort of self-respecting world, there's gonna be substance abusers. I don't think the game of Dwarf Fortress should be any different. The only thing in terms of addiction we got in DF at the moment is the alcohol dependent Dwarves.

While I am not sure exactly how it'd work (in terms of substances, their creations and their effects) but I still think it'd be a fun addition. Another layer of fun.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Addiction and Drugs
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 01:23:21 pm »

While I am not sure exactly how it'd work (in terms of substances, their creations and their effects) but I still think it'd be a fun addition. Another layer of fun.

Indeed, alcoholism might be a template for further addictions. As for the effects, the list of syndroms is available - new ones could even been added.

Substances might be the ones availables in the time, both real and fictional: opium, hemp, coca, tobacco and others.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 02:20:18 pm »

You can guess the stance on this on the hemp wiki page.

I think if some special animal and products could produce that kind of effect it would be a lot more dorfy.

Like night trolls keep preparing weird pastes, maybe they'd use them to seduce their victims. And any kind of ichor or venom brewed into some weird potions could make use of the alchemy skill and become particularly relevant to the myth & magic update.
let

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 06:24:53 pm »

I personally abhor the idea of drugs in my games - I have to burn everything in Rimworld. Always ticked me off when my Wargs decided to eat Luciferium - grr... But, it's a valid suggestion with valid logic. I just would like to say, that if it was implemented, it'd be something I could completely avoid.

The whole Night Troll paste idea sounded really cool though. Species having their own types of drugs (not all, I should hope) feels subtly immersive.
~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 08:21:55 am »

I personally abhor the idea of drugs in my games - I have to burn everything in Rimworld. Always ticked me off when my Wargs decided to eat Luciferium - grr... But, it's a valid suggestion with valid logic. I just would like to say, that if it was implemented, it'd be something I could completely avoid.

The whole Night Troll paste idea sounded really cool though. Species having their own types of drugs (not all, I should hope) feels subtly immersive.

DF do have quite a lot of modders of various level, perhaps giving us the tools to create drugs and let us do the rest could be a thing?
That way, the vanilla experience would be drug-free and modders could add whatever spicy stuff they wanted.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 08:57:05 am »

DF do have quite a lot of modders of various level, perhaps giving us the tools to create drugs and let us do the rest could be a thing?
That way, the vanilla experience would be drug-free and modders could add whatever spicy stuff they wanted.
Dev notes mention drugs. Toady's never said anything negative about including them. Even gave a 'yeah, would like to get to that one day' answer in fotf. Why would they be modder only tools??

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 11:40:26 am »

I think this is already sort of in the game.  All that we need is the mechanics that cause pleasurable things to become addictive and we have drugs in the game.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 01:42:16 pm »

I think some tobacco would be nice (using smoking pipes)

some stuff I came up with:
lowers stress of smoker
raises stress of some dwarves (hates tobacco smoke or something like that)
addicted dwarves get sick when they don't smoke for a while (vomiting?)
after smoking for a long enough time there will be necrosis of the lungs (no clue how hard that would be to program)

non-tabacco additction stuff:
possible rehab centers to stop addiction (chance the rehab will not work)
quitting cold turkey (happens randomly)
lowering intake (possible thing for hospitals to help with)
overdoses
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?