Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let's Read Megathread  (Read 1360 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Read Megathread
« on: November 03, 2017, 01:38:32 pm »

The "Let's Read" has a long and storied past. In general, a Let's Read involves going through a creative work and commenting as you go. This can be like a super-in-depth review, it can facilitate community discussion, or it can complete basically any other objective you can come up with.

"Enough of this," you say, "That doesn't make much sense. What's a Let's Read?"

"You must not have very good reading comprehension," would be my response, given you ignored my short Let's Read definition. I guess you'll probably want examples, though.

Spoiler: Tabletop RPGs (click to show/hide)

And that's the extent of my knowledge. Thanks to MetalSlimeHunt, however, I now know about the following:

Rules
  • Don't do anything that would bring toady wrath (or government organizations) upon this megathread or any component threads.
  • Have fun!

Guidelines
  • Don't write too much at a time. If you're struggling to finish a chapter, for example, just post what you've got and come back later. I didn't do this and my Let's Read suffered for it.
  • Make your own thread, titled whatever is appropriate. "YourNameHere Watches Soylent Green", "Let's Read The Satanic Verses by OtherUser", whatever.
  • Include a header in your OP if you like supporting community works. Nothing too intense, and I'll include a sample header (it's the one I'm going to use) shortly.
  • Post your thread here. If you want to make a new reply for each thread you make, that's fine. If you want to make one post and continually edit new threads into it as you make them, that's fine as well. Whatever works for you.
  • And last, but not least, have fun!

Mephisto's header, stolen straight from RPG Geek
Code: [Select]
Welcome to Let's Read!

In this thread, I'll be taking a book, reading it cover-to-cover, and posting my thoughts. You can think of it as a long, rambly review. Anyone who wants to comment, ask questions, or generally kibbitz is welcome to do so. If you have the item yourself, then please follow along and share! I'll do roughly a chapter per post, and aim for a new post every couple of days.

If you like this format, and want to read more threads like it, please see (and subscribe to!) the [url=http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168118.0]megathread[/url].

Spoiler: Old OP (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:43:37 pm by Mephisto »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [META] Let's Read Neckbeard Elfgames - Gathering interest
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 02:42:37 pm »

A Bay 12 Let's Read would be great. Don't have to necessarily limit it to RPG books though, my favorite Let's Read is the SB one for the manuscript of pure delusion that is Victoria: A Novel of Fourth Generation War.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
Re: [META] Let's Read Neckbeard Elfgames - Gathering interest
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 06:58:24 pm »

I can definitely get behind this. Go ahead with whatever you think would be cool!
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Read Megathread
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 08:41:55 pm »

Cool. I converted the OP into a megathread with some basic info.

Suggestions for the OP are welcome.

Mephisto's Let's Reads
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:26:21 pm by Mephisto »