Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Clock change  (Read 3928 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clock change
« on: November 01, 2017, 07:04:44 pm »

Haven't you guys changed the clock yet in the US? That might explain the weirdness which allways happens to me around this time...

I could just google it but, what's the fun in that? So if you have any question, answers, opinions or rants on the clock change, this is the place  8)
let

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Clock change
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 07:07:06 pm »

It's the 5th, and it's still dumb, and I'm halfway convinced that time zones as a whole are dumb, but like so many dumb things it's sunk into our societies.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 07:28:39 pm »

So you didn't... bet my mobile will switch back to the old time on the fifth again. It really spooked me out the last times.

And yeah it's BS I'm convinced animals suffer because of it. But ain't nobody ever talking about species appropriate handling with humans, so in this case bad luck for the animals too.

Thanks.
let

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 07:32:41 pm »

Yeah it causes problems for my Shadowrun sessions too, GM's in murica and muricans don't change back before Nov. 5th (whereas I, a lowly yooropeon, do it at Oct. 29th), which requires me to be extra alert. I'm fairly indifferent (bordering on negatively opinionated) on daylight saving time, but it could at least have been fucking consistent across the globe. >.>
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 07:34:47 pm »

It's the 5th, and it's still dumb, and I'm halfway convinced that time zones as a whole are dumb, but like so many dumb things it's sunk into our societies.

The whole way we handle time is dumb. DST messes with your head, time zones make international coordination complicated and the whole base-60-60-12x2/24-365 unless it's divisible by four unless it's also divisible by a hundred time system we have is utterly insane.

If you ask me, we should all go on Unix time immediately. No more hours or days or minutes or any other complicated formats, no more letters to parse in the middle of the timestamps, no more changing the clocks around: just an ever-increasing number of seconds and a good reason to teach people modular arithmetic and SI prefixes. No more weird mythological days of the week and months of the year to code into lists for human convenience, either.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:37:27 pm by Trekkin »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 07:36:04 pm »

Isn't Unix time going to die in 15 years?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 07:39:14 pm »

What happens on January 19, 2038?

On this date the Unix Time Stamp will cease to work due to a 32-bit overflow. Before this moment millions of applications will need to either adopt a new convention for time stamps or be migrated to 64-bit systems which will buy the time stamp a "bit" more time.

was just reading this, lmao
let

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 07:42:51 pm »

What happens on January 19, 2038?

On this date the Unix Time Stamp will cease to work due to a 32-bit overflow. Before this moment millions of applications will need to either adopt a new convention for time stamps or be migrated to 64-bit systems which will buy the time stamp a "bit" more time.

was just reading this, lmao

Yes, this. It will be like Y2K: people who haven't upgraded their machines will be very concerned, and then nothing will happen.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 07:48:39 pm »

Well, to be fair, 32bit UNIX time bug has hit several groups already. This is especially especially true of groups doing long-term predictive modeling.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 08:10:26 pm »

The Year 440D117F24 problem has probably already hit someone doing really long-term predictive modeling, but it's an easy fix in any case.

And really, just because epoch time demands continual system upgrades is no reason to disregard the many advantages of dispensing with birthdays and anniversaries and weekends and all the other detritus we've accumulated by insisting time goes round in arbitrarily-sized circles.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:40:17 pm by Trekkin »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 08:52:06 pm »

That's 64bit epoch time, not 32bit. 32bit exhausts in Y2038. Well within the bounds of sensible long-term modeling projects. (Though I do catch the pithy sarcasm.)

You won't be able to hand wave away lunar, rotational, and orbital periods that easily. Especially since the SI unit of time used by epoch time is derived there from. (Epoch time is seconds past midnight, from an arbitrarily chosen day, on a specific year. Both the second itself, as a unit of measure, is based on the minute, hour, and day, as fractions of a rotational period, as well as the arbitrarily selected day used by the standard is derlived from a day, week, month, and year, which are fractions of an orbital period and an arbitrary accounting schema for tracking those periods, respectively.  You would need to redefine the SI unit for time to do what you are looking for here. As-is, the best you are doing is obfuscating the prior accounting method with another one, while keeping the baggage by retaining the unit. Perhaps you should follow the trend to metricise the units seen with the other SI units, and find a common factor between the rotational and orbital periodicities, and use that to derive a new SI second?) some things are actual regular cycles, even though work weeks and months are not.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:54:44 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 09:13:22 pm »

Oh, even better!!

We could define the SI unit of time using the discrepancy between gravitational wave propagation and em wave propagation over 1,000,000 AU, since we now have the needed data to do so. (Thanks LIGO team!) This would make the time unit more useful scientifically.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 01:05:09 am »

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 02:53:05 am »

Oh, even better!!

We could define the SI unit of time using the discrepancy between gravitational wave propagation and em wave propagation over 1,000,000 AU, since we now have the needed data to do so. (Thanks LIGO team!) This would make the time unit more useful scientifically.

Actually, a second is already defined as "the duration of 9 192 631 770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom". (https://www.bipm.org/en/publications/si-brochure/second.html) Nothing about any lunar or solar cycles there.

The second is always going to be an arbitrary number of something, just because it's so fundamental to metrology that defining it in terms of anything else is circular. We do better by making it an arbitrary number of something we can simply count, rather than something that then requires us to specify all kinds of orbital data in order to use a non-SI unit accepted for use with the SI for very little benefit in terms of precision over the simpler, more accessible alternative.

The duration of the second, and the zero time, are of very little consequence when comparing epoch time to cyclic time, provided the people actually using epoch time all agree on what they are. Scaling is arithmetically straightforward. What matters is the precision, and of secondary importance the ease, of the computations we'd like to do with time.

Cyclic time makes it easy to know where the Sun and Moon will be at any given time, while epoch time makes it easier to compute durations and is less ambiguous. I just think we tend to care how much time we have before given events (or how long certain events take) more than we care about where various astronomical bodies are when those events take place, and epoch time makes it simpler to compute the former -- and in the latter case, there are always lookup tables and modular arithmetic.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 05:52:02 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4