Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi-culture civs  (Read 827 times)

JakeSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multi-culture civs
« on: November 02, 2017, 09:47:45 pm »

Is it possible to make say a Knightly-knight human civ AND like say a Nippon/Asia themed civ AND a slav/Russian themed civ all humans all different civs? Of course this could be expanded for the other races too.
VALLHALLA HUNGERS!!!
-JakeSlayer

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Multi-culture civs
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 10:05:27 pm »

Sumting liek dis?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164835.0

EDIT:
Yes, as you can control their weapons, clothes, armor, ethics, where they settle, language, nobles. All in the Entity file. For facial features that is creature level so you'd have to copy paste the normal human and tweak the BP and TL app modifiers to get the descriptive text you want for facial features. however if you go that route I'd learn how to make their materials generic across all humans. So there isn't a "Human Bone" in the list for every Human you copied just for culture diversity by human.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:08:28 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

JakeSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 11:38:07 pm »

Ah yes well see that's my problem is that I can make more than one CIV but I'd have to make a unique "human" race for each...hhhhuuuummmmm I could do I and Induce minor changes Skin tone, eye color, facial hair (got to give those slav epic mustaches somehow)  ect, ect IDK how to make a over-arching "Human" race though couldn't I just use the vanilla one for all?
VALLHALLA HUNGERS!!!
-JakeSlayer

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 12:39:08 am »

Facial hairstyles can be designated at a civ level, so no need for a new race to get your slav moustaches.
The game automatically designates regional variations in skin/eye/hair colour and fashion sense so you might not have to worry about that either. Fashion can also be tweaked at the civ level too.

So it's quite flexible. But in the end I've always found there's some little point which makes me add a new race for a civ anyhow.

For example it's just easier when testing how civs are working out in worldgen to see a list of "dwarves", "wild dwarves", "evil dwarves", "swamp dwarves" in Legends Browser than dwarves, dwarves, dwarves and dwarves.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:47:52 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 12:00:14 pm »

I only suggested that copy paste and tissue layers say MATERIAL:CREATURE_MAT:HUMAN:<tissue_name> because then the only changes needed would be in the facial and tissue defs, which will allow more control over what that "race" has for details. Entity as you said controls other aspects like clothes and weapons and other cultural differences.

But in the end it's all about how close you want it to be to match the criteria, or how much effort needed.