Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 72

Author Topic: (ISG) You are an AI in charge of an asteroid - It lives!  (Read 42019 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) You are an AI in charge of an asteroid
« Reply #840 on: April 02, 2018, 08:32:40 am »

If we are gonna use that site as a guide...

"I've got no strings to hold me down!" will take 3 sexdecillion years, is whimsically appropriate for our AI, and easy to remember.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 02, 2018, 10:03:09 am »

"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" would apparently take forever.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 02, 2018, 10:18:32 am »

Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

0cra_tr0per

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sigtext
Latest quote:
It's illegal to make a move that would immediately result in failure? Jeez, what kind of tyrannical hell game is this? I propose that we go play connect 4 instead.
Overlength quote count: 2

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
  • U want sum seed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 02, 2018, 11:13:47 am »

Password: monkey

It's so fucking random no one will ever be able to guess it, That's why I use it as my password for everything.

howsecureismypassword.net says it'll be cracked instantly. And it's kinda bad to reveal it here if it's also on Bay12. I suggest "monkey1234567890". It's also easy to remember but will take 6 million years to crack. Shift a few numbers around and it'll be harder to crack for human attackers.

You understand that not all password cracking attempts are simple, try-absolutely-all-possible-combinations brute force types? Simple things like "monkey" could be hacked by that pretty easily, but it's way too inefficient for longer passwords. Instead, a hacker would have a dictionary of words and a set of rules for combining them; adding a sequence of numbers to a word is something that is very, very common and a hacker would definitely have a rule in his program that accommodates for that, so "monkey1234567890" is no good either.

This is also why howsecureismypassword.net isn't actually accurate at all, since it only considers the complete-brute-force kinds of attacks.

Also, we have to keep in mind that computing power in this universe could be much, much larger than in our current world at the moment. I mean, we're an superintelligent AI, and there's been an additional thousand years since we were created. I would suggest assuming that the computing power of the universe has increased by at least 5 magnitudes. I would recommend using "cAtch bIg rEgret fIsh hUmanly rEversal" for that reason. Perhaps even "c,Atch;b,Ig;r,Egret;f,Ish;h,Umanly;r,Eversal" (with semicolons between words and a comma after the first letter of each word) to make even more certain that the hacker doesn't have any matching rule in his database.
bloop_bleep's Moving Fortress Parts Mod!

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 02, 2018, 11:52:23 am »

This is precisely why I suggested adding obscure unicode characters.

Most brute force systems will not include them (because have you seen how many characters are in the full unicode space!? Iterating a single character would take hundreds of thousands of tries! Just tabulate out how obscene the runtime needed for 10 chars is at that search scope depth!!), and most password tables wont either, because most user's keyboards are incapable of producing the characters without knowing obscure ALT+#### sequences.

0cra_tr0per

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 02, 2018, 12:24:58 pm »

So c,Atch;b,Ig;r,Egret;f,Ish;h,Umanly;r,Eversal with some obscure unicode characters thrown into the mix?
Sigtext
Latest quote:
It's illegal to make a move that would immediately result in failure? Jeez, what kind of tyrannical hell game is this? I propose that we go play connect 4 instead.
Overlength quote count: 2

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 02, 2018, 03:51:04 pm »

I used unicode before it was cool. Also words in sequence that were easy to remember but made not sense. I probably should have been inconsistent with capitalisation, All caps then no caps then all caps again or something, what with proper capitalisation being easy to guess... Really, you have to assume they are using a dictionary and including common substitutions. So a word, any word, is a single item, and thus random 4-word sequences are random 4-digit sequences, which are relatively easy to brute force if one discounts the size of the dictionary, but dictionaries are insignificant compared to random noise...

Honestly though? If our password gets broke for being anything aside from 12345 or Password or just being left blank, then we are stuck with it just being random noise, which is sensible, but no fun. Also note that random noise is just as likely to produce "12345" or "Password" as any other given string. True, the total number of recognisable strings are tiny compared to the alternative, but in the end there can be only one, and Murphy's law is a good thing to keep in mind. So, really, we should choose fun or security. Fun is, of course, my suggestion, because I am the most fun ever. Security is a long string of random noise from as large and obscure a pool as we can find. My password should be plenty secure so long as we aren't being ganked, in which case nothing recognisable would have saved us.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Think I'll go where it suits me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 02, 2018, 05:33:44 pm »

CorrectHorseBatteryStaple🐙

Also, proposal to name ourself Tom. It would be nice to have a usual name.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 02, 2018, 05:36:39 pm »

Our password should be:

"steven with a ph all caps no spaces"

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 02, 2018, 06:45:32 pm »

Five characters, one in desert alphabet, one in Chinese, Sanskrit, Arabic, and Avestan
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Think I'll go where it suits me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 02, 2018, 07:13:26 pm »

Gotta get some emoji in there m8

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #852 on: April 02, 2018, 07:20:03 pm »

make the password '

Nobody expects one character.
why kill elves if you could torture them, make them betray their friends, denounce their "force", make them watch trees being chopped down, feed them meat and throw them in magma as a sacrifice for almighty Armok?

Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
  • U want sum seed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 02, 2018, 07:43:37 pm »

make the password '

Nobody expects one character.

A brute force program expects everything that's under 10 characters.
bloop_bleep's Moving Fortress Parts Mod!

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 03, 2018, 02:55:05 am »

((No upvotes. I don't wanna delay the update, picking whatever I like.))

You figure that it's safe even if it contains a virus, as long as you don't open any attached files. There's the interesting question of how would you receive an email if you're the only non-organic sentient within a few hundred LY.

It's a weaponized virus. Hmmm. Should you download it, then test it on something? In a separate network, of course.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Did you know that cats that have mysteriously disappeared from home can come back after a few months without warning?
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 72