Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Increstellar - 4x lite by yours truly  (Read 13550 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Increstellar - 4x lite by yours truly
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2017, 01:03:30 pm »

The problem with swarms of anything smaller than a corvette is it takes ages to rebuild after every fight. That and fighters currently melt under any kind of enemy fire at the higher levels, because the enemy tech level outpaces the bonus fighters get to dodging.

Swarms of corvettes or destroyers is effective. Corvette swarms are especially powerful as they'll mop up all the little guys very quickly then hit the bigger targets. Destroyers are needed to kill things at higher levels, but that's just the bug with negative damage speaking so it may not still be the case.

Right now with the new changes, leveling up ships to high enough level to outperform the big ships may no longer be feasible. It takes billions of points to reach the next tech level for corvettes so I assume it would have been many billions to reach that point, which didn't cost me more than a couple levels of a high end ship when I did it lol.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2017, 04:15:04 pm »

also, dodge seems to be hardcapped.
my fighters are lvl 100 (101 would now cost ~900m rp, but yesterday it was on discount) and they still die quite fast against corvetes in sector ~15

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2017, 04:59:14 pm »

also, dodge seems to be hardcapped.
my fighters are lvl 100 (101 would now cost ~900m rp, but yesterday it was on discount) and they still die quite fast against corvetes in sector ~15

corvette have small turrets, fighter still get a bonus but they're not as dodgy as, say, against frigates or gunships.

works this way: each ship has a scale and a variant, scale goes 1 to 3 and it's the size, variant goes -1 to 1 and it's the relative "bulkiness" - so a fighter has size 1 and variant -1, a destroyer size 2 variant 1, a bomber size 1 variant 1 and so on.

small weapons are neutral against target of scale 1, medium is neutral for scale 2 and large for scale 3. variant slightly offset this, but it's not as strong as an effect as scale, so dodginess isn't much of a bonus against everything late game.

evasion bonus starts quite low - around 15% chance - and the main driving factor is relative scale so a fighter against a large weapon (as you'd find on gunship and destroyers) gets the maximum chance or around 65% chance evasion. this is then influenced by relative tech factor, 2% for every tech point difference, then capped between 1% and 99%.

so yeah every size class has a ship that's tuned to fight large, small or medium threat. a fighter might not be able to dodge the corvette small laser, but a bomber squad will probably outdamage the corvette cost for cost.

anyway the corvette is probably a little too good at the moment, being able to win reliably against almost every other classes. might revisit balance with better tournament rules... but that said, while a corvette will never win against any larger class ship, the destroyer can reliably give cruisers a beating, credit for credit.

edit: here's the result of a full tournament round, attacker moves first so that's why it's not simmetrical. still helluva work to do to balance this mess :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 05:12:16 pm by LoSboccacc »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2017, 01:20:29 am »

The good thing about a swarm of fighters buzzing around your fleet is that certain large ships prioritise them for extermination, meaning that other ships get to hammer them without retaliation until your fighters are gone.  Specifically, enemy Corvettes, Cruisers, and Dreadnoughts will attack Fighters before anything else, despite equivalent ships in your fleet.
     I cleared a few sectors between 50 and 60 with a fleet composed solely of 200 fighters, but it takes so long to rebuild.
     it is better to have a mixed fleet, but try to get one layer with a lot of numbers, one that you have also invested a lot in.

Edit: Dreadnaughts will attack your dreadnaughts first, then turn on fighters.
     And, suggesting a cap on offline production, getting 400k research overnight and while at work is a bit much.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 01:35:31 am by Darkening Kaos »
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2017, 12:36:22 pm »

maybe somewhat higher successrate for extermination?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2017, 12:45:02 pm »

I'm not controlling 107 sectors out of 100, doesn't seem to be much of another Galaxy going on?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2017, 01:47:44 pm »

I'm not controlling 107 sectors out of 100, doesn't seem to be much of another Galaxy going on?

uploaded a fix, refresh the page and expand should change to travel

I wonder how that happened :/

anyway, also changed ship build queue so that more than one ship per tick gets queued and also re-balanced combat so that every ship fulfill its role better.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2017, 04:23:43 pm »

Maybe i missed it, how do i reset the game ? Each time i go to the page, it loads my previous game from several updates ago.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2017, 04:34:57 pm »

uploaded a fix, refresh the page and expand should change to travel

I wonder how that happened :/

anyway, also changed ship build queue so that more than one ship per tick gets queued and also re-balanced combat so that every ship fulfill its role better.

I made it to Andromeda. But just something: the three production building resetted (as expected I guess), the special planets didn't (also as expected? It's weird to take your planets to a new planet but loose the building). However, there is something weird with the ringworlds: I still have them (and so building the next one is expensive as hell), but then they don't seem to do anything (aka, I can't build many normal buildings).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2017, 05:24:16 pm »

guys, what go you think of this style?
Spoiler: wip (click to show/hide)

But just something: the three production building resetted (as expected I guess), the special planets didn't (also as expected? It's weird to take your planets to a new planet but loose the building). However, there is something weird with the ringworlds: I still have them (and so building the next one is expensive as hell), but then they don't seem to do anything (aka, I can't build many normal buildings).

I think I forgot to handle the new things on travel :/

Maybe i missed it, how do i reset the game ? Each time i go to the page, it loads my previous game from several updates ago.

the reset button is in the menu that opens clicking on the badly drawn galaxy, bottom left corner of the action, called secede.

browser may be caching an old version, if you hit f5 enough it should get you to the latest.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2017, 05:48:57 am »

double artefacts in next galaxy do not work :(

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2017, 11:33:50 am »

largish update in!

- colonies' stability degradation is no longer time based but action based. on average for now you need a good action in ten to keep them happy (high level colonies will hate you faster however)
 - totally reworked exterminate: now you get a threat level reduction that's limited uses and vanes as you perform operations. diminishing returns and all that
 - because there's no rolling back the threat level now, explore was made more effective and now returns randomly 1 to 10 artifacts x galaxy level
 - damaged ship lose pieces around so you have an idea of their health
 - the top level interface is more coherent (clicking resources bring on the relevant tabs, buttons are all grouped in a single drawer etc)
 - removed overcrowding price increase from facilities, now there's a workforce count that depends on sectors and ringworlds and stretching it thin decreases facility efficiency (you should still gain from increasing facilities, but less than the full amount, so people shouldn't get stuck)
 - various fixes

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2017, 11:52:32 am »

Did this already add in the ability to save and export your progress to a file?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2017, 11:59:40 am »

Did this already add in the ability to save and export your progress to a file?

not yet didn't know it was already needed nobody asked yet - I'll keep a note for the next one

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2017, 12:05:31 pm »

for whatever reason, I can't build research facilities or industries anymore, but I can still build services. Is there a reason for it?

also, price for research shows as 23.8, which is silly considering I have 230 labs already
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10