Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ideal length of time to age a world before adventuring?  (Read 4395 times)

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ideal length of time to age a world before adventuring?
« on: November 03, 2017, 01:17:29 pm »

I would like your advice on what is the longest amount of time a world on all medium settings can be aged before when saving in adventure mode it crashes constantly due to windows closing it early before it can save all it needs to? Basically how old can I make a world before it takes too long to save in adventure mode?

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
Re: Ideal length of time to age a world before adventuring?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 02:21:45 pm »

that is a technical issue on your end. I don't know how to fix it, if this keeps happening it may be either:
1. the save file is too big for your computer to save reliably (it happens a bit on my end)
2. windows says that DF has stopped working/stopped responding when it is saving and closes it automatically (I've never heard of this happening, so may be a setting you need to turn off)
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

JakeSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 10:29:11 am »

2 years! Everything is made of copper maybe some bronze or iron if your lucky and settled places are few and far between. Your adventure could be like a ancient hero like Arthur or Sir Gawin or what not, then just keep playing on the world as time passes wars are fought, great beast die, cities crumble into ruin, your peasant adventurer gets brained by a bunny, the FUN never ends...also load/save time is like 2 seconds cause nothings happened and the pops are so low you can feasibly kill a whole civ your self.
VALLHALLA HUNGERS!!!
-JakeSlayer

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 11:22:19 am »

But if I do that I can't become a necromancer in that world.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 04:04:26 pm »

I generate worlds for as long as possible until 20% of megabeasts are dead. Makes for a good well-populated world, full of dangerous beasts somewhere between 150-400 years old. Also ramp up beast populations quite a lot to start with.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 11:55:34 pm »

I like small world with 125 years of history.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 09:13:25 am »

I always go maximum size, high amount of beasts, and age it approx. 500 years. It takes a good half hour or so but it's usually worth it for the fact that I then have a very well developed world that is also still in the age of myth - ripe for the conquering so to speak.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 01:31:21 am »

I used to go to about 1,000 years, but I found that it didn't make too much of a difference and resulted in most vampires having non-vampiric blood (a bizarre and utterly frustrating bug.) In Vanilla, at the very least, you shouldn't need to gen beyond 500 years, unless you want to go for a few thousand years and see the goblins conquer everything. 125 years should do you fine.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 08:36:05 am »

For about a year I did sub-300 worlds. Don't. The shorter the world time, the less feuds, rivalries, bloodlines and interesting things in general will form. I never saw anything weird or out of the ordinary that I wanted to explore and examine, neither did I get any great stories or sense of satisfaction by ending a historically relevant villain. Generally, all the weirdness and cool stories I used to get out of adventure mode were gone until I started genning my worlds overnight.

Go for at least 700 years. Even if you have to add a new world type that is smaller than medium but larger than small, do it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:18:43 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 01:34:37 am »

Too long and most monsters have died and goblins or dwarves have conquered all. Also kobolds used to be weak and die quickly, not sure about this version. Also towers... Towers everywhere.

Too short and there will be less people to talk with, less interactions and random fun stuff have happened, little to no towers anywhere. Also megabeasts can be everywhere depending on your settings.

100-200 is what I usually play with. First adventurers main goal is usually to kill off as many goblins as possible. Current record at 2858. Died to a night ambush by a goblin whipping her on the head.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 03:32:30 pm »

At 100 years there is basically no interesting history to discover, I got at least 500 , I used to do 250 but the older the worlds are the more interesting they get, after playing in multiple 3000 year old huge regions , I’ll never go back to 250.caves are more populated, so are dungeons, more interesting quests, engravings to examine and books to find.And tavern “stories” to hear, also way more night creatures to kill.

It helps that despite 3000 year old huge regions taking all night to generate , That I just stick to one world nowadays through multiple forts and adventures.
With world activation I think that you are really missing out if you just keep generating new worlds.

Especially now that there are interesting artifacts being passed around, you are really missing out with a world that is only 100 years old, especially a small one. Maybe I just prefer having extra gameplay value in my worlds.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 03:49:07 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 03:43:03 pm »

When I play 3000 year old worlds then the goblins have basically taken over large parts of what would be interesting leading to lagfest areas everywhere with all the trolls. Also the towers often contain truly insane amounts of undead. Not to mention most computers literally wont have the memory to run 3000 year old worlds and it would most likely crash long before its finished. Before I updated my computer thats what it would do loooong before.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 03:45:20 pm »

When I play 3000 year old worlds then the goblins have basically taken over large parts of what would be interesting leading to lagfest areas everywhere with all the trolls. Also the towers often contain truly insane amounts of undead. Not to mention most computers literally wont have the memory to run 3000 year old worlds and it would most likely crash long before its finished. Before I updated my computer thats what it would do loooong before.
Works fine on my computer and having it be a large/huge world tends to halt the goblin takeover, eg I haven’t had any issues with that. The only thing that noticeably impacts playability to me is save/load times, but I’m on a computer all day programming anyway so it never bothered me , even when streaming.

DF is 64 bit now, that is why it won’t crash anymore. It used to run out of memory when you did this but that isn’t the case now.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 03:47:22 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 08:34:47 am »

I start in year 2 with high savagery and try to save every civ that's getting wrecked by evil.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username
Pages: [1] 2