Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Books/Blueprints for Foreign Crafting?  (Read 776 times)

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
Books/Blueprints for Foreign Crafting?
« on: November 05, 2017, 01:41:48 pm »

Something I have always wanted in Dwarf fortress (without the use of mods) would be able to craft/smith Foreign weapons, ect. What about after a x amount of years in the world, the Humans/Elves make blueprints of their crafted equipment, and are randomly sold amongst the caravans to share, and then once bought/looked at by a dwarf, it unlocks the ability to make the human weapons such as long swords, whips, halberds ect. I enjoy these weapons but it sucks you wont find adamantine versions of these weapons :C
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Books/Blueprints for Foreign Crafting?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 05:51:49 pm »

Should probably depend on some "usefulness" metric to keep everyone from selling what would otherwise be a state secret for shiny rocks, but other than that the general idea of recipes/blueprints for foreign items/materials sounds cool.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 07:17:33 pm »

Should probably depend on some "usefulness" metric to keep everyone from selling what would otherwise be a state secret for shiny rocks, but other than that the general idea of recipes/blueprints for foreign items/materials sounds cool.

That or Steal it with the upcoming update lol
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 01:46:15 pm »

That or Steal it with the upcoming update lol

Will secret libraries be raided by adventurers wanting to sell these rare books to foreign powers?
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."