Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Fading Empire (SG)  (Read 5990 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Fading Empire (SG)
« on: November 07, 2017, 12:41:17 am »

Our History, as Presented by the Holy Creed
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You are a member of a minor house of Nobles, in a far flung Feudal Future where humanity has conquered their own corner of the galaxy. More has been forgotten about human history than is remembered of it however, and the understanding of many of those technologies that allowed humans to reach their current level of prominence has been lost, sometimes due to intentional effort to forget those technologies. The result is a civilisation that is very different than many would have hoped, a fractured humanity which struggles mostly with itself, wildly varying across the whole of its domain of influence.
Your own family has very little influence, controlling only a single world, but you have shown a level of competence and education which has endeared you to a higher power in the Empire, something which provides you opportunity to advance, and by proxy, increase the influence of your relatively powerless House.

What is your name? Your gender? The name of your house? And perhaps more importantly, how have you distinguished yourself?

This is going to be a political intrigue game in a setting heavily inspired by the like of Fading Suns and Dune.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:32:55 am by Mlamlah »

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Fading Empire: A Feudal Future Suggestion Game
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 12:41:39 am »

-Reserved for future lore dumps, not currently necessary to read-

Some notes on the levels of technology throughout the Empire

The political structure of the Imperium.

Some Notes on the sizes of basic military units.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:33:51 am by Mlamlah »

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fading Empire (SG)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 07:02:01 pm »

We are Bianca of the Rustring Household.
We have distinguished ourself as a spy for our house.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 12:04:28 am »

We are Andrew of house Ravenblood. We are a Male. Distinguished ourselves as a representative with the Guild Combine

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 12:58:46 am »

We are Andrew of house Ravenblood. We are a Male. Distinguished ourselves as a representative with the Guild Combine

+1

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 01:37:43 am »

Fading Suns!!!! Awesome! Ptw!

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 01:49:09 am »

Fading Suns!!!! Awesome! Ptw!

Just for the sake of clarification, it's not the Fading Suns universe, but i'm stealing borrowing quite heavily from the setting. Just with my own twist and flavor on things.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 03:07:47 am »

+1
"Ravenblood" is perhaps slightly on the nose but +1 in general.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 05:52:13 am »

+1
"Ravenblood" is perhaps slightly on the nose but +1 in general.

I did not mean to put it on anyone nose I just thought it sounded cool and resembled lowenblud which also sounded cool.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 07:09:43 am »

We are Bella Garmenhouse and served as a princeling

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 10:18:13 am »

You are Andrew Ravenblood, a Scion of your house eligible to one day inherit it as Patriarch, though you are not currently the designated heir. You were born and raised on the planet of Halia, a world dominated by tumultuous seas and island chains. Your upbringing was rather conventional, as far as the upbringing of the potential rulers of worlds go. You were well educated in the basic sciences, etiquette, mathematics, and in classical culture, receiving tutorship from the best scholars, priests and guildsmen that your world could offer.
The Ravenblood family has had high ambitions for a long time however, and long before you were born it was decided that yours would be the generation that would see the family rise to greater station. The current head of the House is Matriarch Alma, though she is more often referred to as the Matriarch Ravenblood. She is a cunning old woman who has spent many years ensuring that this generation of Ravenbloods would be particularly numerous and diverse, you were only one of many siblings and cousins that were ejected from your own home world the moment that a use was found for you. She has been very explicit, and even public with her intention, she wants each of you to compete with one another to determine who will inherit the house when she dies, by distinguishing yourselves abroad as worthy contenders for the household seat, and in so doing increasing the influence of the House as a whole.

You were fifteen when you were first sent to begin learning under the tutelage of various merchants, brokers and industrialists, and then twenty one when you were named as your House's representative with the Guild Combine. A young age for such weighty duties, but you took well to the dual role of diplomat and deal broker between your House and the Combine. You travelled throughout the stars, spending far more time on aging star-ships and sprawling space-ports than on solid ground. You encountered technological wonders that would make even the most puritanical of orthodox priests gape in awe, you met with dozens of varieties of gene modified humans that you never even knew existed. You even encountered the rare Xeno in your travels.
Indulging curiosities was never your primary pursuit however, though it did open your mind to the many wonders that exist in the Empire. No, most of your time was spent securing trade contracts, acquiring the schematics for factory machines, investing family assets, and acquiring commodities that your homeworld  cannot produce on its own. You spent five years in such work, never managing to return home in that time, too mired in your dealings with the people of far off worlds.

So cut off from home, it comes as a shock when you receive word from a cousin alerting you that the Matriarch has fallen badly ill due to lung problems. In fact, the cousin seems to have been under the impression that you already knew, and is petitioning you for support on their own claim to the House Seat, should it come to that. You've been out of touch for a long time, but it's the wake up call you needed to turn your attention home again.
After some thought, you realize that you know frustratingly little about the political climate at home, a problem you will really need to rectify, though you consider what you do know. The cousin who is petitioning your aid is named Adam, three years your senior and an only child, something which frustrated the Matriarch. He seemed a headstrong sort back when you knew him, idealistic and a little naive, but well meaning. You seem to recall that he had signed on with a Knightly order in order to win glory, with the full intention of being Knighted and swearing allegiance to the currently seated Emperor. Now Adam is asking you for funds, and to help him open a line of credit with the Bankers Guild, something you could probably arrange if you wanted to sink a considerable portion of your own resources into the venture. He does not specify what he wants so much money for exactly.

Before you get too deep down any line of thought, it's worth considering where your loyalties lie. Perhaps you intend to stand behind the Matriarch and her wishes for your House, or perhaps you have grown to resent her from keeping you from home for so long. Perhaps you even intend to save her from her illness, or to speed her demise. Perhaps you are loyal to the wellbeing of your House as a whole, or perhaps you desire personal power. Perhaps you want to be the Patriarch of your own house, or at least the De Facto power behind it. Or perhaps you have even higher ambitions.
You take a night to absorb all this, to consider what you know, and finally, to decide how you are going to approach your family.

GM Note

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 11:52:19 am »

We fight for the matriarch and want to become patriarch eventually. While we seek personal power we want pur house to grow as well.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 11:59:20 am »

I don't think we have enough information to take a stance on this matter yet. Write some letters to minor figures back home in hopes of obtaining a more complete and less biased overview of the situation.

Ideally if there are strong candidates to lead the family, we want to support one of them. If no such candidate exists, we might consider throwing our hat into the ring.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 12:04:27 pm »

I believe by aoding the matriarch we will automatically gain a bigger matters in the realm. From there we can side with the strongest  candidate

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 02:32:53 pm »

I don't think we have enough information to take a stance on this matter yet. Write some letters to minor figures back home in hopes of obtaining a more complete and less biased overview of the situation.

Ideally if there are strong candidates to lead the family, we want to support one of them. If no such candidate exists, we might consider throwing our hat into the ring.

Ditto, although I also think we should try and help the matriarch rather than speed her demise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6