Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: should i appoint a sherrif?  (Read 2000 times)

Charizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: should i appoint a sherrif?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 09:43:12 am »

Dwarf justice can be excessively harsh if you let it be.  Sentences tend to become harsher than the transgression that motivated them if the more lenient sentence that was mandated cannot be fulfilled. 

This is a long way of saying build some jail cells.  Ideally, 3x3 tile cells with a chain in the center, a bed, a table and chair, and tiny stockpiles with booze and prepared food (set to take from larger stockpiles.)  Plus anything nice quality that might produce thoughts of admiration.  A dwarf who failed to fulfill an impossible mandate or smashed something nice when they got angry will be sent to a "time out room", rather than subjected to a beating.
DF considers beatings to be less serious than jail, so it's technically a downgrade (the beaten dwarf gets a positive thought for being beaten instead of jailed, and the sheriff gets a negative thought), but supposedly non-lethal punches can kill your dwarves.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:47:31 am by Charizard »

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 07:39:29 pm »

DF considers beatings to be less serious than jail, so it's technically a downgrade (the beaten dwarf gets a positive thought for being beaten instead of jailed, and the sheriff gets a negative thought), but supposedly non-lethal punches can kill your dwarves.
Yeah, I would just put them in the cell.  Safer that way.  The dwarf may get a negative thought, but that can be balanced by the, "Woah, this is an amazing +«≡Platinum Chain≡»+ I'm shackled to!" thought.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 08:54:15 am »

I wonder, is it better to have a jail cell set up in the middle of the main dining hall? Help the dwarf stay socialized while doing their time? Or would that just make them miserable for not having quiet place to sleep?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 10:47:33 pm »

While eating and dancing doesn't disturb sleep, it kinda removes the "remove tantrumemers from population" aspect of jail.
Pages: 1 [2]