Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: should i appoint a sherrif?  (Read 1967 times)

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
should i appoint a sherrif?
« on: November 07, 2017, 06:09:57 pm »

as the title says, I'm wondering it it's worth it to appoint a sheriff, the requirements are kinda steep for early game when you can appoint one, I've never had crime problems before hitting 50 pop. so should I make one of my dwarves a sherrif or just wait till 50 pop and appoint a captain of the guard?
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: should i appoint a sherrif?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 07:02:09 pm »

I avoid the injustice system like the plague. It causes random dorfs to be murdered by the hammerer when nobles make impossible to fulfill mandates (like production of metal weapons when I have no weapons grade metal or ore). It's also totally ineffective when it comes to dealing with actual crime, as militia can stand in a dorm while a vampire kills a sleeping dorf by draining it without seeing anything, and it will do nothing about lethal "non lethal" bar fights.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 07:40:05 pm »

Same. The game is way better if you pretend the entire justice system doesn't exist.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 08:23:58 pm »

soooo...all those iron chains I forged are useless?
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 09:36:15 pm »

soooo...all those iron chains I forged are useless?

You can chain dogs on them at the entrance to soften up sieges, I guess.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 10:40:56 pm »

You can build the chains in some dwarf's room to increase the room's value.  You can even decorate the chains - get some with cool images relating to the dwarf, then build those into their room.  Or just add spikes - all dwarves love spikes.

zenkai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 02:03:43 am »

Can I ask a related question here? Does the justice system actually dissuade potential criminals at all? Military dwarves keep accidentally killing my dudes in regular brawls, but will having a sheriff and hammerer make those fights less likely?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 03:38:26 am »

Can I ask a related question here? Does the justice system actually dissuade potential criminals at all? Military dwarves keep accidentally killing my dudes in regular brawls, but will having a sheriff and hammerer make those fights less likely?
No. As said, the injustice system is less than worthless.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 08:11:50 am »

Given off comments by other users, it doesn't sound very 'new fortress friendly' and something that should be enabled later when you have enough labour to cover ideally every profession (about 80 individuals) with a backup worker with some proficiency.

The justice system does give good thoughts though, because without it (if stress wasn't bugged at the moment) your dwarves & leaders would be more mentally unstable for being unable to fufill mandates. Also dwarves affected personally such as vampire/violence victims families are reinbursed with a extremely good though from seeing the killer sent to the hammerer, you need it for diplomatic instances too such as if for whatever reason a visitor ends up being processed or accused by the system of a crime.

Partially because dwarves value justice so highly as one of their core value virtues.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 08:48:09 am »

The injustice system does not prevent fulfillment of mandates: it just causes a random dorf to be convicted if YOU fail to fulfill the mandates (which may be impossible to fulfill). The injustice system causes the mandate spewer to get a happy thought when injustice has been served, though.

As far as I've seen, the injustice system allows vampires to accuse random dorfs of their own crimes, causing a series of innocent dorfs to be convicted of the vampires' crimes. It's likely the victims' families (in the unlikely event they've been able to form any) would get a happy thought from seeing (in)justice being served, as they don't know the victim is innocent.

The injustice system has a potential to eventually be fixed and turned into a justice system, however.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 10:20:27 pm »

It's kind of hard to justify the system right now. I like it, and play with it, but only because I like the extra 'gamey' pressure and laugh outrageously when the fortress guard kill someone. Stress relief or something.

Law & politics are such a massive part of the Law & Politics release that nobles will probably be unrecognizable once they've been rehauled and most of the current code will probably end up on the cutting room floor.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 08:41:07 am »

No. The only 'crime' is unfilled mandates, tavern fights, or being a vampire or werebeast, justice is meted out semi-randomly and somewhat lethally, and the fortress guard takes up valuable haulers.

Mandates are easy to fill with the right noble, so just arrange 'accidents' to reroll them. Tavern fights can be mostly solved by not appointing a bardwarf, and the fortress guard won't help with the latter anyway.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 01:49:41 pm »

I just make a few cages and park em' out of the way. Then I ignore every mandate forever.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 08:03:13 pm »

No. The only 'crime' is unfilled mandates, tavern fights, or being a vampire or werebeast, justice is meted out semi-randomly and somewhat lethally, and the fortress guard takes up valuable haulers.

Mandates are easy to fill with the right noble, so just arrange 'accidents' to reroll them. Tavern fights can be mostly solved by not appointing a bardwarf, and the fortress guard won't help with the latter anyway.
The guard will arrest insane dorfs (those driven insane by pressure, not moods) who attack people.
Not that it's noticeable in the current version, as so few dorfs succumb to pressure any more.

They'll arrest and hammer vampires too (but only after you manually accuse them).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:04:48 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 02:28:46 pm »

Dwarf justice can be excessively harsh if you let it be.  Sentences tend to become harsher than the transgression that motivated them if the more lenient sentence that was mandated cannot be fulfilled. 

This is a long way of saying build some jail cells.  Ideally, 3x3 tile cells with a chain in the center, a bed, a table and chair, and tiny stockpiles with booze and prepared food (set to take from larger stockpiles.)  Plus anything nice quality that might produce thoughts of admiration.  A dwarf who failed to fulfill an impossible mandate or smashed something nice when they got angry will be sent to a "time out room", rather than subjected to a beating. 
Pages: [1] 2