Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ○ - Arda (Middle-Earth Themed Mod) - Version 0.1.5 - ○  (Read 7148 times)

MachinaMandala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
○ - Arda (Middle-Earth Themed Mod) - Version 0.1.5 - ○
« on: November 08, 2017, 07:04:16 am »

I'm starting to put together a mod for a Lord of the Rings themed mod. It is not going to stick exactly to Middle-Earth but I'm going to do everything I can to keep the flavour and the playstyle you could imagine from Lord of the Rings.

Patch Notes
Spoiler: v0.1.5 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: v0.1 (click to show/hide)

Plans
Spoiler: Races (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Languages (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Megabeasts (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Other Creatures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Curses (click to show/hide)

More to come! I'm looking for suggestions!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 08:53:16 am by MachinaMandala »

Genlax

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: ○ - Arda (Middle-Earth Themed) - Version 0.00 - ○
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 10:20:21 pm »

maybe numenoreans as other human civ, or maybe a rare caste. And spiders, many of many sizes
Bad english

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 10:37:09 pm »

PTW
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 10:39:14 pm »

PTW. Hopefully you can add in Istari/Wizards eventually.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 11:04:18 pm »

A Lord Of The Rings mod? Interesting.

MachinaMandala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 08:02:13 am »

Arda v0.1 up now! Full notes up soon but the basics are:

- Orcs added in and made into dark tower civ. (Very strong at the minute, will adjust in the future.)
- Cold-dragons and fire-dragons added in.
- Ringwraiths added in.
- Basic civ work for elves, humans etc.
- FULL language files.

More to come!

maybe numenoreans as other human civ, or maybe a rare caste. And spiders, many of many sizes

I was going to do Numenoreans as a sterile civilization. So you'd only have a few at game start but they'd know dark magics etc.

Spiders are having two castes with:
Attercops - Mirkwood spiders
Great Spiders - Shelob and others of her kind. They're obviously not spiders, just spider-like. Like Shelob had a stinger, some others have human faces etc.

PTW. Hopefully you can add in Istari/Wizards eventually.

Istari are definitely going in. Likely similar to Numenoreans or animal peoples. Don't build anything, but know all the secrets relevant to them and are supremely powerful (but sterile).

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 03:36:54 pm »

Great Spiders - Shelob and others of her kind. They're obviously not spiders, just spider-like. Like Shelob had a stinger, some others have human faces etc.
God. Damn. It. Is it from Silmarillion? I didn't reaaaden it, but it seems for me that it's more "believable" than some mediocre fanfic only because it was wrighten by Tolkien himself(and other one  :P ). Yet it always implied that Gandalf is god, Sauron is a god, Balrog is a god, but there was many more smaller balrogs that wasn't a gods, and suchlike idiocy.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: ○ - Arda (Middle-Earth Themed) - Version 0.1 - ○
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 04:27:33 pm »

Not so much gods as angels. With a lot of self-imposed limitations.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 05:02:33 pm »

Most of their limitations are not self-imposed.

There's a LOT of lore that goes into this, but suffice to say that Morgoth and the Valar are 'angels' or perhaps greater angels, while the Maiar (Such as Gandalf, Sauron, Saruman, and the Balrogs) are all 'lesser angels'. Gandalf and Saruman are limited by the Valar in what they can do. They are intended to inspire, not outright fight, and so the Istari are much less powerful than 'regular' Maiar. Sauron is *less* powerful than a Balrog, because so much of his spirit is left both in the Ring and in his Orcs/other servants.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 05:07:44 pm »

Where does One Ring Sauron sit in terms of power, compared to his status in the Silmarillion? I'm talking Sauron wielding the ring, effectively in his prime.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 06:04:49 pm »

Where does One Ring Sauron sit in terms of power, compared to his status in the Silmarillion? I'm talking Sauron wielding the ring, effectively in his prime.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 06:13:53 pm »

By the end of the Silmarillion Sauron was weak and spent a lot of time just regathering strength.

Sauron with the Ring was weaker than a standard Maiar, he had just lost a lot of strength over the ages and never regained all of it.

MachinaMandala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 06:17:26 pm »

God. Damn. It. Is it from Silmarillion? I didn't reaaaden it, but it seems for me that it's more "believable" than some mediocre fanfic only because it was wrighten by Tolkien himself(and other one  :P ). Yet it always implied that Gandalf is god, Sauron is a god, Balrog is a god, but there was many more smaller balrogs that wasn't a gods, and suchlike idiocy.

It's mostly from the One Ring RPG, which is a licensed Middle-Earth RPG based out in the Wilderlands. Shelob definitely has a stinger in the books (Sam tricks her into stinging herself) and Ungoliant (Silmarillion, and the mother of all great spiders) is less a spider and more a spirit that takes the kind-of form of a giant spider.

Spoiler: Ungoliant (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: One Ring Great Spider (click to show/hide)

By the end of the Silmarillion Sauron was weak and spent a lot of time just regathering strength.

Sauron with the Ring was weaker than a standard Maiar, he had just lost a lot of strength over the ages and never regained all of it.

Sauron with ring in the Third Age would've probably been a lot weaker than himself in his prime in the Silmarillion. BUT every other power in the world has also diminished and (upon receiving the ring back) he likely would've been much stronger than near anyone else in the world as his power has been stored away in it for all this time.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 07:57:24 pm »

You're a right melon.

And I mean that in the nicest way.

PTW
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MachinaMandala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ○ - Arda (Middle-Earth Themed) - Version 0.1.5 - ○
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 05:40:15 am »

Version 0.1.5 done! Version 0.2 is coming out once I've completed great spiders and elf magic / nobility.

For version 0.3 I'm going to rework the default DF animals etc to streamline them down (so no more ten billion blue jays, cardinals etc, just songbirds).
Pages: [1] 2