Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battlerite - fast paced arena battles - Free to play now  (Read 1210 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Battlerite - fast paced arena battles - Free to play now
« on: November 09, 2017, 09:54:15 am »

I used to play Magicka:Wizard Wars a lot, forthe fast-paced, almost arcade streetfighter-like action battles, and was very sad to see it die.
This game does have some potential of filling that gap, although I must admit I haven't played a lot of it yet, since it only went free to play yesterday.
It was recommended to me by old MWW peers though.

so far, I'm having fun with it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/504370/Battlerite/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: Battlerite - fast paced arena battles - Free to play now
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 12:22:49 pm »

Liar. It's not magicka, it's just a MOBA with 1-minute rounds andfancervice heroes. No, because everyone puts them in now.
Ok, is this interesting? How the game plays? What with pay-to-win? What heroes you can reccomend for player that enjoyed Malzahar and Kassadin in LoL(yeah, totaly diffirent things, i know)? It seems i will be able to play it.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 06:01:57 pm »

Played a bit, not much in common with a moba past the heroes and skills. You play 2v2 or 3v3, heroes dont level or change during the match.
At the start of the match you select a "loadout", of cards that change some skills, more damage for some, stun, healing, etc. 
You move with WASD, aim with the mouse, each hero has 4 skills, one dodge or similar, a ultimate, and a extra skill that consumes some of the ultimate bar, aditionally some skills can be cast as "EX" AKA using some of your ultimate bar to gain extra effects. 
Matches are played to best of 5, at least thats what iv seen so far. Regarding P2W, the only game changing things you can buy are heroes, the cards i mentioned for the loadout are all aviable from the start. The rest of the buyable things are just cosmetics, mounts, etc. 
Id say give it a try, its an interesting concept and they didint destroy it with P2W stuff, so they deserve a chance IMO.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 09:29:35 pm »

One of my friends insisted I try this out, so I did, and my opinion is.... meh.

It's not bad exactly but it feels very.. I don't know, shallow? I'm sure there's depth (maybe even a lot) to the hero combinations and there's skill in getting the combos down well but there just does not seem to be much to the game in general. It's trivial to figure out how each hero works and there's zero strategy in the gameplay... it's just picking the right heroes then muscle memory and twitch skills. MOBAs already seem like the ADD version of a real RTS, and this feel like the ADD version of of a MOBA for people who have such a short attention span they can't concentrate for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Maybe it will appeal to fans of fighting games or something, it has the same sort of feel to it... but I played 5 or 6 games and have no real interest in playing more.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 03:43:58 am »

"Beaten"  ::) first part of tutorial, tried to play in multiplayer as support. Losed, game said that it failed to give me reward, but i will have it anyways, sometime. Beaten second part of tutorial, game failed to count it and forced me to beat it again. While first two parts are all tutorial, third is surprisingly hard to beat (cause i'm not trying, probably). Tried to play 3x3 pvp, game crashed on loading.
Beyound quality, man, beyound quality.

What i should dodge?
Oh, and at least third part of tutorial is partially untranslated.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 11:43:23 pm »

Just picked this up. It feels really solid, visuals are clean, the pure-skillshot high-skillcap abilities are wonderful. Not to mention the short duration of matches.

Anyone who happens to see this passing back down the board, check it out. It's a MOBA that actually fits the name. No farming PvE for 20 minutes before the game starts, no auto-hit stuns or basic attacks, no room full of sweaty, salty assholes yelling at each other. No getting berated in broken English because you didn't pick one of the handful of on-meta choices.

On another note, god damn they managed to do AI that isn't borderline retarded. The 2v2 vs. AI practice mode is actually helping me improve my timing. Lemme repeat that: playing practice matches against AI with the starter character feels engaging and fun. Shock.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 07:59:18 am »

I played this a good bit, a while ago.

Its good.

But, I would like more "extrem" champions, with more specific themes and all that. Right now, no matter what champ you take, you got your block-ish-skill, your long-cool-down-ish heavy hitter and so on... etc.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 08:03:51 am »

Still playing it, even though I suck at it. It's a fun game.
As to McCreeper's experience with crashes, I've not had the game crash on me once.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:05:37 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 08:10:19 am »

I played this a good bit, a while ago.

Its good.

But, I would like more "extrem" champions, with more specific themes and all that. Right now, no matter what champ you take, you got your block-ish-skill, your long-cool-down-ish heavy hitter and so on... etc.

I have noticed that, though they've done a pretty decent job of differentiation in the cross-skill passives. I do appreciate the effort they're made in regard to aligning ability types across heroes, such that even if you've never played one before you can probably guess that Space will be your evade/gapcloser, Q will be your defensive ability, E will be a CC ability, M2 will be ranged poke, &c. Lets you swap back and forth between characters without throwing off your rhythm.

The whole battlerite system of customization is really fun, too, because it feels like you're actually changing how they play. I'm running the starter gunslinger (Jade?) with boosts to the stealth and evade cooldown, movespeed, and the one that buffs your primary damage after evading, to give better mid-range kiting potential but also allow for diving in to finish off low-health enemies. But she could easily be built for heavier CC, or for long-ranged poke with M2 and E, and would play fairly differently.

Also liking how it seems like every hero has at least one or two abilities that buff teammates, not just "supports".

e: Regarding monetization, if you're going to spend cash at all, spend it on the $30 all heroes unlocked, present and future, pack (preferably while on sale). The piecemeal costs are far too high, lootboxes are a trap as always, and the in-game currency you use to unlock heroes is also used for the rarer cosmetics. But given the costs and lack of need for a deep roster, you shouldn't really have to. Just find one you enjoy playing and play them, mixing the free rotation for flavor, and buy others over time as you click with them. Especially if you're getting on board while there's still a fairly slim roster, most people will probably catch up the release cycle (and won't want to get ones they don't like).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 07:08:52 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 09:55:02 pm »

Hahahaha. I still suck at this game, but this was a glorious win. My teammate thought we lost, and ragequit. Then I won 1v2.
You need to have the game installed to watch the replay.
steam://run/504370//?arg_name=odeum_replay;params=962880951531245568

Pestilus is .. hard .. No counters. Hard escape. Probably the least powerful character ingame, only shines as a support / crowd controller