Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Chronicles of Enomon, the Legendary Realms  (Read 2580 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Chronicles of Enomon, the Legendary Realms
« on: November 09, 2017, 04:05:14 pm »

Chronicles of Enomon, The Legendary Realms

Hi folks.  I'm a returning player, away for almost 3 years.  I've decided to fire it up again.  Since I'll be doing short sessions like lunch breaks etc., I probably won't be doing too many long epic forts, but I thought it would be fun to do sort of a running log as I re-learn to play.  I'll probably do a number of settlements in the same world, and report some highlights of what happens with a picture or two.  Probably I won't be doing a ton of detailed narrative.  But please do post if you have ideas for a theme for a new settlement, development suggestions for an active fort, etc.

The world is generated in the mod "Modified Masterwork v1.29".

Here's the Civilized World Population as of Spring 251:

18347 Dwarves *
   20550 Elves
   39332 Goblins
   45940 Humans *
   16077 Kobolds *
   20564 Nagas
   15461 Orcs *
   36282 Succubi
   22746 Serpentines
   7907 Putrid blendecs
   20633 Pandashi

Total: 263839
* Fortresses Playable

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Chronicles of Enomon, the Legendary Realms
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 04:16:45 pm »

Preamble: An inauspicious beginning

Kratpratug, "Menaceromance" was an Orc fortress. 

The oral tradition tells us that in a time before history, this fortress crumbled to ruin after only 1 year.  The residents were only crudely armed, and under assault from a Pyromancer:  a particularly destructive mage from a nearby Tower.  Although the pyromancer also fell to ruin just outside the gate of Kratpratug's inner keep, the orcs nevertheless were melted, burned, or scattered by her legion of undead fire-spirits.  According to legend, the few masterworks of the fortress were soon melted by a passing dragon, and any rag tag survivors starved shortly thereafter or were killed by roaming brigands.  The current population of the site consists of 4 gnolls.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 06:06:06 pm »

Chronicle 1: The Crossroads

Our next group of intrepid Orc colonists are looking for a somewhat calmer location, still within the great forests of south-east Enomon, but discover that evil mages' towers dominate the entire region.  Instead, they set out for a large island offshore.  Dwarves do not bother these lands, but we may expect to be assaulted by humans, among others.

The settlers aim to establish a ranch at a prime strategic and commercial location, where one of the region's major roads crosses a stream.  They embark with some Aurochs, and clear out trees to create some pastures among the gently rolling hills.  A great common-house, cave farm, and fishery are established.  A stroke of luck:  miners prospecting for stone find not only a rich deposit of chalk, but also strike several valuable ores including hematite.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 02:54:31 am »

The Crossroads

Date: 253-07-02

The orcs of Scourgepraised are still living mostly off the land, fishing, hunting, and gathering.  A bit of silver and pearl crafting purchases anything else we need from caravan on the great road.  Our auroch ranch and some farms have been relocated to a secure hilltop, where the original 7 have settled in private huts.  This position could be readily made into an strong hill fort, but for now a simple stone gatehouse guards the ramp to the high ground, where a squad of warriors have begun training.  The rest of the migrants and commoners are content in the original great hall.

There's plenty of iron and copper to be found just a few feet below the surface, where we had originally just intended to quarry for some blocks.

So, this hamlet is now pretty well established.  The orcs will just finish up a few odds and ends here, and then retire the site at least for the time being.  I'm thinking that the next expedition will bring a Dwarven settlement, as well, out to this same small island continent.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 02:41:11 am »

Chronicle 2: The Brewery

I figure that within two years, news of this new iron- and pecan- rich island would have made it back to the mainland, and so it's about time for a dwarven colony looking for their own piece of the action.  Also, I assume the first phase of a dwarven expedition to new lands would be the establishment of a fortified brewery.

Roving gnolls wounded 3 of the starting 7 badly enough that they required attention, but they all made it through due to a couple strokes of luck.  We embarked with sheep so there was cloth obtainable for wound treatment, and the freezing season only lasted a short time.

This site is only about 5 region map tiles north of the orcish camp; I wonder whether the world simulation will cause them to interact in any way?  I'm hoping to be able to incite some sieges or any other interesting exchanges.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Farms to fuel the stills.

There's plenty of iron here too, just, like at the orcish Crossroads site. 

This was my first experiment with a tavern, so i don't know quite if I'm doing it right.  Bought some instruments from a caravan, stocked the place with booze.  There are visiting naga pikemen who seem to lead songs on instruments, and my dwarves join in beat-boxing or playing air guitar.  But, no long term residents staying in the rooms yet.

The site from above.  The brewery proper is fitted into a bend in the river, and the surround finished off by a moat.  A simple keep/drawbridge/chained war dog for defence.  The tavern is ouside the walls, underground beneath that statue garden straddling the road.

So I met my objective with bringing villages of both civs to this new continent, and maybe time to dive into a more substantial fortress.  However, I've been tinkering with un-retiring sites, and it seems buggy for me.  Like, all the former residents are "Hostile"; although they don't actually fight my re-settlers, they're not under control either.  I was looking forward to re-visiting these sites in future "turns", so this is a bit disappointing.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:43:23 am by smakemupagus »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 03:32:03 am »

For anyone who might wonder, the Unretire problem arises from DFHack "Embark Anywhere", which was enabled by default in mod.  Turning it off, works fine.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 11:02:52 am »

Unfortunately, my un-retire embarks crash constantly; i don't know whether that's because i messed them up with Embark anywhere, or if the vanilla functionality of unretiring is so buggy.  So, I think i would have some experimenting to do for a while, and this goes on hiatus for a while.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 06:57:42 pm »

I like how this is going so far. Maybe a bit too fast for my liking, but you stick to the point. Hoping to see more good things from this. Maybe you could try an adventurer sometime and wander around in the island you have colonized with all the different races?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 03:31:23 pm »

Thanks for the note!  I'll probably run at least two more settlements in Enomon, a human (oceanfront?) village and then a proper fortress somewhere on the island...  Leaning towards an Orc stronghold at the boundary of the evil forest.

If the upcoming new version of DF has any substantial changes or fixes to Unretire, or other features I can't live without, then I might have to migrate to a new world.  We'll see!

Sorry for the short/terse descriptions, but candidly i don't have the time these days to document and edit all the little details that form the ingredients for good longer form stories.  Hopefully this approach can still lead to interesting stories of a different sort.  Appreciate your feedback either way!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 03:16:02 am »

Chronicle 3:  The Blood Shrine

No need for more humans out here; the northern part of this island is already totally infested with pinkskins.  So our next fort will be another orcish expedition.  I'm planning to settle in here for a while and see if we can attract some sieges from the nearby Brewery dwarves.

The orcs embark on a cove on the island's west coast, just at the border between savanna and an evil marsh, where it rains (human) blood.  Seems like as good a place as any for a high temple to our pantheon:

The Acrid Plague, Orcs, Worship List
  Malata, deity: valor, war
  Yaguurub Freerelease the Autonomous Impunity of Liberation, deity: freedom
  Yagra Crabivy the Spring of Seeds, deity: nature, the rain
  Grishum, deity: strength
  Pradbuut, deity: the sky
  Zagdush, deity: revenge
  Pushum the Flickering Warmth, deity: earth, volcanos
  Uzgash Demonseers the Tenebrous Mysteries, deity: twilight, trickery, lies
  Ufthakh the Lined Coast, deity: boundaries

Before the temple can take shape, i see to some defenses and other basics.  We start out delving quick lodgings into a small hill, before expanding the perimeter with a palisade and watchtower, and start a 5-orc militia training as soon as we get a wave of migrants.  Food production needs a boost so we also start up a fishing operation on the shore.

Other migrants forge some extra picks and get to work on a long aquaduct to bring water up to the keep from the sea, and a desalination pump system.  Orcish clan leaders and warchiefs expect pretty decent lodgings, so I order some nice sized rooms delved out for them in a shallow stone layer.  The rest of the clan can be happy in the common dorm for now.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 12:45:25 pm »

The Blood Shrine

Late Spring, 257

Just an image of the site, before too much development has taken place.  The fishery on the cove visible in the foreground.  The small hill fortress and it's palisade are visible in the background.  The "blood marsh" is on the eastern part of the site.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 03:17:42 pm »

Late Autumn, 257.

Some standing stones starting to go up around the eventual temple site.  You might be able to see the wooden scaffolding around them, and the quarry pit near the western pair of stones.

The fort now has stable food and cloth supply from some new above ground farms (with slower farming in this mod, it takes a year or two and a fair parcel of land to get farms really spun up).  A full ten orc squad in iron armor, although still poorly skilled.  They've been training a bit by sparring, and helping the hunters finish off large game.

Orcish herb gatherers are appearently stupid/brave enough to punch buffaloes.  On a related note, one death in the past season.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 05:28:23 pm »

I understand the lack of time problem, so no worries. I was going to suggest maybe switch to yearly progress updates instead of such a before and after as you were doing, but what you're doing now is good and I like it. I also heavily encourage the blood temple, I'll gladly sign up as head cult leader priest if you're willing to accept a naming.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 07:50:46 pm »

Sure thing.

Here is our current Shaman (an orcish noble who performs medical and counselling duties).  He's also one of the better leatherworkers and metalcrafters in the stronghold, but he's been starting to agitate in favor of religion and tradition. 

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 09:21:02 pm »

Welcome back :)  I'd like to see you take an Adventurer for a spin, maybe try to start some wars for future Forts.
Pages: [1] 2