Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 38

Author Topic: The Fitness Thread - THE RE-SWOLLENING  (Read 54395 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

With a little tweak, dips no longer feel bad on my shoulders or sternum. Feels GRRRRREAAAAT. So happy to be using them as assistance work for the overhead press.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

What was the tweak? I tried dips when I first started, and in addition to having insufficient tricep strength to do it, my shoulders went AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH and I basically never tried them again. It's been a while and I was just thinking about attempting dips again. Shoulders and clavicle were where I felt most vulnerable during dips.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

Got it from this video, and the cue "proud chest" is really the most important thing. Whenever I'd do dips before I'd end up rounding my back forwards, packing chest downwards, and it really didn't help.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Got it from this video, and the cue "proud chest" is really the most important thing. Whenever I'd do dips before I'd end up rounding my back forwards, packing chest downwards, and it really didn't help.

I thought leaning in is what you’re supposed to do for chest dips. Proud chest, I thought, was for triceps. I’ll watch the video.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

I can now do 30x10 pushups a day, and max around 55 in 2 minutes. Also I actually have a working pectoral as it turns out. And my arms have... changed.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's what it's all about! If you want to keep progressing you could start doing harder variations. Like Diamond Pushups, Plyo-Pushups, Alternating leaning pushups.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 02:37:06 pm by nenjin »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah I'm going to stick with 30x10 for this next week then start trying to get into a gym or try some variations. I can already surpass my goal of 50 in 2min. I've been doing 2 or 3 minute elbow planks to help my crunches ability. Just gotta keep running and I'll be making a bunch of 18yo Seaman Recruits look like shit with my superior work ethic.

Also running advice. Rapid shallow breathes or deep breaths? I'm doing deep breaths but I used to kinda get a rhythmic in-in-out shallow breathing that worked. Does it matter?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile

Well done Hans!
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

Well done Hans!

+1 to this, Hans.

Also, with the running breathing thing, I doubt it matters. But experimenting with it can't hurt, trying shallow fast breathing one week, long deep breathing the next.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did chest rows to the barbell in the squat rack today, felt really great. I think I'll be making these a staple for a while. Due to the angle I feel like I'm already half way to the hardest variation, which can only do good things for pull ups.

And it's kind of dawned on me that I don't have enough pulling exercises in my current routine. Bent over dumbbell rows, face pulls and dead lifts are basically my only pulls right now. (I stopped doing lat pull downs like 6 months ago due to growing elbow pain doing them, and a desire to mix it up.) Most everything else is pushes.

Also realizing that my forearms are taking an absolute pounding. They are by far the first thing to go in a lot of my exercises. Shrugs, oblique crunches, even those barbell chest rows, my forearms are burning long before anything else and it's making it hard to complete some exercises. About 6 months ago I decided that I needed to start working my grip a lot more, and so by extension, my forearms. I've been using a homemade forearm roller, and targeting several other exercises that rely on your forearms like Oblique Crunches gripping 45s in one hand, and shrugs. I think they need a break though because I'm feeling them more and more on all my lifts to the point I can't complete sets without a small rest pause just to let them cool off.

I think after my next break week it's time to shake up my lifts. Biceps to triceps. Give the mid delt work a much needed break, and do lat pull downs again. Maybe swap out dumbbell shrugs for barbell shrugs, or rack pulls. And just stop using the forearm roller for a few weeks. I've gotten some, for me, appreciable growth in my forearms due to all the work, but my grip needs some time to really come back.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 10:57:06 am by nenjin »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fitness Thread (aka Git Fit, aka Swole Patrol, aka Many Rep, Such Wow)
« Reply #340 on: August 01, 2019, 05:22:09 am »

Took 26 seconds off my run time last time. Took 16 off that time today. Down from 11:06 to 10:24 and also, with the slight tan I've developed and the upper body muscles getting more defined, I'm... kinda getting sexy. If I can get more done with my core, I'll look good.
He's fucking with us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 01, 2019, 09:43:56 am »

Core work isn't just for looking good, mind you. Work your core to make your abs pop, sure. But many, many of the heavier compound lifts like squat and deadlift pretty much require a strong core so you don't end up fucking up your lower back. Any exercise where your lower back has to do work benefits from a strong core, because a strong, braced core keeps your lower back from taking all the weight. Imagine using your lower back is like having your feet planted on the floor. Your core....is that floor. If you don't have a strong core to support your lower back, your lifts are weaker and you're at greater risk for injury. Almost every exercise that you are standing for benefits from a stronger core.

(Also don't forget obliques. "Dat sexy core" isn't complete without obliques that also pop.)

Leanness is now very close for me. Kinda weird, everyone says this is the hardest part but I swear, the last month or so I've really watched my waist visibly shrinking, compared to the glacially slow progress of the previous months. Part of that of course was dropping ~250cal a day out of my diet. (Stopped having a bowl of Cheerios and Whole Milk every night.) I kind of hate doing that, the whole goal of getting fit my way was to NOT strip mass amounts of calories out of my diet, to see what was sustainable while still being lean. But I admit, I've gotten a bit impatient with how slow things were going. Progress didn't stop! But I wanted results faster, so I cut more calories out. ~250cal a day is 1750cal a week, which is 7000cal for the month. It's officially August so I can't say I got lean in exactly two years. But I'm going to keep up this current deficit another few weeks, maybe the rest of the month, and see where I'm at.

Then it's time to take calories back up. Through this whole process I think I've added at least 30 pounds of muscle over two years. Looking in the mirror, there's days I see it and days I don't. I'm looking forward to taking my calories back up (with protein and other sorts of good things) and seeing if I start really adding muscle.

The irony is this: at 203 when I started, I felt and looked fat and bloated. Today, I'm at 195 and looking pretty lean. Just goes to show you, the scale doesn't tell the entire story at all, you gotta actually look at yourself to see what's happening.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 09:46:53 am by nenjin »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 01, 2019, 10:06:38 am »

Knowledge get. Yeah, I need a good core more for all the benefits associated with it than the aesthetic. Although I would like my belly to shrink a smidge..
He's fucking with us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 01, 2019, 10:19:43 am »

Working your core != a thinner midsection. This is something that has been peddled by the fitness industry for years. Body fat % is the only thing that impacts how your waist actually looks. I've been working my core hard since I started, but it was only when I got below probably 14% body fat that I actually started to see my abs. If you get lean and do no ab work, yeah, your waist and abs will look less impressive than someone that has been working them. But there is no such thing as spot reduction of fat via which exercise you do. You lose fat from whole body, slowly, and the waist and love handles for 99% of guys is the last place to get lean.

Oh look, an Athlean-X video exactly on this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgC7p14h3rY
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 02:10:00 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 29, 2019, 06:52:06 pm »

Fat Watch 2019 continues apace.

I’m down to three areas: love handles, sides of my chest and my lower abs. Everything else is getting quite lean, especially my back. Starting to see that coveted separation between muscles in the shoulders and pecs and upper abs. I have further to go yet.

It’s true what they say though: there are costs to getting lean.

My strength is definitely going down. It’s a rep or two at a time, but I’m steadily falling in the weights I’m able to put up. My weight on the scale is starting to go down again, which means I’m losing body fat yes, but also probably some muscle mass as well. My calorie intake hasn’t really changed in months, and my protein intake is about the same as it has been. At this point in the fat loss phase, i think I’m now lifting to preserve muscle mass instead of increasing it.

Energy is also becoming an issue. It’s getting harder and harder to approach my workouts with the zeal I had a year ago. (Which, if you've been following what I'm up to, is less than it was when I started 2 years ago.) I get through them and give them my all, but it’s taking real willpower to do them consistently week to week now. It's rare that I go in to a workout amped anymore. More like I approach it stoically as something that has to be done. Steady. Measured. Even though I have body fat still to spare, my body is grudgingly using it to make up the energy deficit I’m running now that it knows there's far less of it to work with. As a result, I feel like I have less energy on average day to day.

Recovery is also slower, I feel like. I feel more beat up for longer after my workouts. Aches and pains seem to linger longer. In all honesty I probably need another week+ break, give my body back a few hundred calories a week through inactivity. But stopping working out honestly feels harder than continuing. Might it be worth it to increase the fat burning? Perhaps. But I don’t want to break my rhythm, not quite yet. I have a few more weeks until that’s scheduled.

Part of me feels that I should reverse course. But I started out on this originally to get lean more than anything, so changing course before I reach the leanness I want feels like giving up. I'm where a lot of people by now would have said "I'm good. My waistline is totally reasonable and I'm good to hold here." But I wanted something more, right from the outset. I wanted and still want to go beyond average in to "wow." I don't want to have put in this much hard work to only achieve "somewhat above average."

So I will continue to stay the course, until I start seeing the signs of overtraining like old injuries flaring up, sickness and the inability to get out of bed in the morning. I'm gonna keep chasing that dragon.

At this point it’s taken me an eternity to cut the way I’ve been doing things. Two years is a long time to stay in a calorie deficit. Maybe being super strict and eating super clean and really cutting back my carbs would have gotten me where I want to be faster. Just "getting it done." But I wanted a nutrition plan I could live with long term, instead of having to do specific things to cut, then stop doing them when I bulked, yadda yadda. So long as I keep losing body fat, I think what I’m doing is working, even if it’s taking much longer than your standard, aggressive diet plan. I think at this point I want what I want bad enough I could go to the lengths it would take to get me there quicker. No cheatmeals anymore. Totally eliminating sugar from my diet. Only slow carbs and zero highly processed carbs. But if I set that as the standard that got me the leanness I wanted, it's the standard I'd have to hold, and any "going back" to those other things would mean I couldn't hold that body fat level for any real period of time. Most fitness models stress that the leanness they get to for photo shoots isn't something they maintain year around. And I understand that. But staying somewhat just above "photoshoot leanness" and being able to get down there at will in a shorter period of time is my ultimate goal. Get lean, stay mostly lean while I eat more to build more muscle, do a small cut to get back to super lean if I so desire.

So if I can get lean under the plan I'm doing now, with its cheat meals and sugar in my coffee and not avoiding processed carbs, then all I really have to do is add a few hundred calories a day back through smart choices, and play with those extra calories when I want to back down my body fat levels.

That's the theory anyways.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 01:50:30 am by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 38