Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38

Author Topic: The Fitness Thread - THE RE-SWOLLENING  (Read 54704 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Fitness Thread (aka Git Fit, aka Swole Patrol, aka Many Rep, Such Wow)
« Reply #375 on: October 24, 2019, 01:24:20 pm »

I just had good moment.

Like I've said before, my diet is not clean. I track my calories but I make convenient food choices to hit macros.

So......when I go to Arby's every week I get two Half-pound French Dip Sandwiches. Why? #1 I'm hungry AF. But for #2, it's a really easy way to get in 110g of protein in one meal. (Granted it's not high quality protein by any means, not like meat you cook yourself.) That's about 3/4 of my daily protein needs in one sitting.

Same lady has been working there for years. And today she finally went "You must work out. I see you eat that much food all the time and you look great."

I guess I would have preferred "You look like you work out." But regardless, this is not the first time I've heard this. I regularly order an amount of food that shocks people, and since I'm a creature of habit and go to the same places all the time, inevitably it comes up. I can out-eat people that are easily twice my size.

Always nice to get a little validation now and then.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 01:26:18 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 24, 2019, 02:03:33 pm »

I dunno man. I don't think she would have said that " you must work out" if you didn't look the part ;)
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 24, 2019, 02:39:04 pm »

I think that is one of the best parts of working out consistently and with intensity. You can eat, really eat, and still lose fat. Of course it comes down to metabolism and individual features as much as anything else, and it's not like you can shovel pure garbage in your face.......but in some ways you can. You can FEAST and as long as you're working hard to burn it off, it's mostly all good. Get empty, fill up, get empty.....repeat until SWOLE.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 24, 2019, 06:45:41 pm »

I only eat a light brunch and a heavy dinner but I eat whatever I want with no worries because exercise.

Well, I eat healthy anyway and I save my empty calories for booze but still.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 24, 2019, 07:02:42 pm »

I think that's honestly a great takeway.

You don't have to abandon empty calories or even guilty calories, whether that's sugar, booze, fast food, whatever.

You just gotta see its place in the bigger picture and make space for it.

And once you start working out hard and with a purpose....you stop wanting as many empty calorie for the short-term satisfaction they give you. If you're trying to be mindful of your calories AND you're working your ass off (literally)....you start craving real calories for the energy and nutrients your body is crying out for, moreso than junk.

At least this was my experience. Within three months of getting serious, I upended some of my food patterns. TBH the "real calories" I still pretty much eat the same things as I did before I was being mindful. I just jettisoned the really indulgent stuff (double quarter pounder from McDonalds, soda, fries and an extra Cheesburger because why the fuck not. I've always had a large appetite for my size due to my basic metabolism.) Instead of getting Fried Mozzarella Sticks as a side for my Arby's roast beef sandwiches, and a cup of cheddar cheese to drizzle all over it.....I just went for MORE PROTEIN instead. I'm not claiming this is some magical trick, but if you're gonna eat fast food, you can still manipulate the variables for more a desirable result.

The other thing I changed was just cutting back my empty calories 80%. I asked myself "what sugar do I feel absolutely cannot do without." The answer came back: sugar in my coffee. So I cut that in half and pretty much tossed the rest. No more M&Ms before bed as a dessert. No more buying Ice Cream just to have it around. I'd already started to become straight sick of soda so that felt pretty easy to give up and substitute with coffee. Still getting sugar and caffeine, just wwaaaaayyyy less sugar. From there I gave myself a couple cheat meals (not days.)

Luckily I don't have much of a taste for the drink, so those aren't calories I have to make room for.

My diet before I got serious about working out and weight loss was, in short, an abomination of overeating garbage. My metabolism and genetics is probably the only thing that saved me from being obese in another couple years. Now, my diet may not be clean but the only shocking thing about is the amount of food I put down on a few selected days. (Friday: A 16' roast beef sandwich with double meat from the local deli shop for lunch, and an entire pepperoni pizza and a coke for dinner. That's a 4000+ calorie day now that I add it all up.) But because I reign it in the rest of the week, coming in around 2.4k calories a day I'm still losing body fat with the additional calories lost from workouts. I'll probably only eat one meal and a snack on Saturday and Sunday because of weird hours.

And I've been doing this for over a year and a half. If people want, I can literally give them my weekly meal plan because I'm so fucking boring and habitual. Not because I think anyone should follow it per se, it works for me. But as an example of what's actually possible given what inputs.

So yeah: you can let yourself live and if not lose weight, at least maintain it. You just gotta make ROOM for that stuff around a decent diet. Nenjin loves whole milk for its vitamin D, fat, protein and creamy goodness. I like having a glass before bed with a protein bar or some nuts or something. But that's like, 200 calories in a big glass plus the actual food. So on days where I've eaten well I just....won't have that glass of milk and have water instead. If you know how many calories roughly you eat in a day, you can pivot around and make adjustments for the things you feel you can't do without, as long as you're _honest_ with yourself about it.

And that's just daily life. When you add exercise to the mix, you get a larger calorie budget to play with, depending on your goals, what you're doing and how hard you're working.

At least until actually getting lean is your goal. Then you gotta start making some harder choices. The more crap you want to eat at that point, the more you have to cut in to your actual nutrition intake and that can start to get dicey when you're already in a calorie deficit.

I dunno, the philosophy around eating and weight gain or weight loss, and fitness in general, that I've come to is this: "I doesn't matter what you do IN A DAY, it matters what you do EVERY DAY." If you drink _A_ soda on _A DAY_? No big deal. Sitting around A DAY instead of doing something physical? No big deal. But drinking soda EVERY DAY, those calories pile up. Just like the filth in your bathroom when you never clean it. You use your bathroom every day, and the detritus will continue to accumulate until you do something about it. If you sit on your ass EVERY DAY and never do anything physical, all the problems that creates compound over time if you don't do something about it. Working out _A_ _DAY_? Not really a big deal. Working out _EVERY DAY_? Now you're getting somewhere.

Life is like that. It's the little things that build up over time, so slowly you can't see, until suddenly you can and you have to start trying to ignore it. Life is about accumulation of your habits, good and bad, over time. Accumulate thousands of hours writing code? Be able to make programs. Accumulate thousands of hours in the gym? Get swole. Accumulate thousands of hours sitting on your ass? Get back problems and weakness and stretch marks. Drink and eat calorie dense, nutrient light foods every day and never do anything with those extra calories? Get fat, get diabetes. Smoking cigarettes every day? Get cancer. Drink alcohol everyday? Get cirrhosis of the liver.

Christ, I've just noticed the other day that I've finally got lines in my forehead because I'm about to join the old ass man club. Apparently it comes from a life time of raising my eyebrows up in surprise. Given this rant, no one but me is probably surprised.

It's so obvious no one needs to have it told to them. And yet it being obvious and actually living with it, both the good and the bad outcomes, is a different story.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 08:06:53 pm by nenjin »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 24, 2019, 10:04:34 pm »

It's so obvious no one needs to have it told to them.

You would be surprised how far people will stretch to avoid taking any blame for their actions.

It's always about cutting this food group or that nutrient. It's about eating certain foods on specific days, or their menopause, or low testosterone, or negative thoughts or closed chakras. It's about hacking your immune system to destroy fat cells, or how red wine and chocolate before bed prevents heart disease. Anything, anything to avoid hard work, no matter how outlandish it seems. They'll point to some past fad diet and go "See, Jenny Craig didn't work, Atkins didn't work, scientists don't know anything!" when the concensus among real scientists has always been "calories in, calories out."

It comes down to the age-old problem of something for nothing. This guy Wes Watson may seem kinda insane when he's ranting, but he constantly repeats one thing: nothing that will make you stronger is easy. That's what I tell myself when I feel like quitting a workout early or grabbing an easy snack when I'm not hungry.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 10:08:52 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 24, 2019, 10:08:15 pm »

I think that's honestly a great takeway.

You don't have to abandon empty calories or even guilty calories, whether that's sugar, booze, fast food, whatever.

You just gotta see its place in the bigger picture and make space for it.

And once you start working out hard and with a purpose....

This is what I'm really struggling with atm. Whenever I think about exercising lately, my brain auto-thinks "but why tho? There's no reason to do that." and it's right, there's just no reason. I crave a purpose more than anything.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 24, 2019, 11:38:31 pm »

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:02:19 am by nenjin »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 25, 2019, 01:06:02 am »

I can agree with the gist of that, Nenjin. Strength as an ideal, nebulous as it may be, is something I've always found worth pursuing. Admittedly, HOW one pursues it has changed for me over the past few years. For a few years, it was becoming the best boxer I could be. Now it's really becoming as strong and as muscular as possible.

Don't care if it takes me 20 years, I'll get to a satisfactory level of swole eventually.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 25, 2019, 01:09:40 am »

Likewise. I have no timelines any more. Every day is the best version of me that has existed, as long as I keep applying myself, keep learning, keep trying to grow.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 25, 2019, 08:41:36 pm »

Additional note about deadlifts: watch out for your knees on the way down. In an effort to try and keep my lower back safe, I've been trying to slide the bar down my thighs. The heavier the weight gets, the more important it goes down in as straight a line as possible. Well, I'm clearly doing something wrong because it grazed off the top of my right knee.....multiple times.

I think MY problem was not sitting my hips back far enough. I cleared my left knee no problem, and I know my stance is lined up so.....that must mean there's some torsion going on, on the way down. Which is not good.

You wouldn't think it, but 205 even barely gliding past hurts. It's nice and sore and a little puffy. Hopefully I don't wake up tomorrow my knee tighter than a drum skin and sore to move. Man, my knees just keep taking a beating they don't really need.

On the plus side my back feels pretty good.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 26, 2019, 01:17:02 am »

One thing to keep in mind is that the some of the "common sense" advice doesn't work for some people with actual medical reasons for obesity, and society can tend to take a moralistic view of fatness. This fits with a "just world fallacy" type thinking.

Google "Adenovirus AD36".
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4517116/
Specific adenoviruses seem to cause animals to become obese. It's been demonstrated in a replicable experiments, and works across a variety of animal types.

Exposure to the (specific) AD36 virus is also correlated with obesity in humans, and while this isn't provably causative, that's because running the same experiments on humans is illegal. You can't just run an experiment that infects people with a disease to see what happens.

Also worth noting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenovirus_serotype_36
To date, AD-36 is the only human adenovirus that has been linked with human obesity, present in 30% of obese humans and 11% of nonobese humans. In addition, a study of obese Americans indicates that about 30% of the obese individuals and only 5% of non-obese individuals have antibodies to Ad-36. Another study determined that children with the virus averaged 52 pounds heavier than those with no signs of it and obese children with the virus averaged 35 pounds heavier than obese children with no trace of the virus. AD-36 causes obesity in chickens, mice, rats, and monkeys also.
So a common counter-argument that "maybe fat people just get more viruses" (often stated without a shred of scientific basis, as if just saying that is of equal weight to published peer-review studies) doesn't hold water. Out of the 52 types of known human adenoviruses, AD36 is the only one correlated with obesity.

Some of the researchers who work in this area point out that the animal results are broadly accepted, but the same people are strongly hostile to the idea that it could also happen in humans, yet they can't actually articulate a scientific basis for the objection. The thinking is simply that people don't like the idea that some factor outside their control could cause obesity so they reject the science for psychological reasons: the "it can't happen to me" defense.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:39:51 am by Reelya »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 26, 2019, 05:09:20 pm »

Anyone responsible that tries to coach people about fat loss will always couch their assertions in bodies all being different.

So I don't discount that some people are genetically or due to some external factor are overweight.

But that also lends itself to the "I"m special" line of thinking. And rather being "special" in a good way, they're "special" in a way that hurts them.

Fat is one of those weird things. We hate it but we also make a lot of excuses for it.

Change isn't easy. Even being genetically predisposed toward being skinnier, it took me YEARS of a consistent plan to see real changes once I'd added on a significant (30+ pounds) amount of fat. And I'm highly motivated. For someone that a) is genetically predisposed toward being larger, having a larger build b) isn't highly motivated and c) doesn't have a real plan, fat loss can seem like something that's out of their control. I think the reality is though for most people it's an issue of time and consistency. The "Fat to fit" stuff in three months that the fitness industry peddles is almost complete bullshit. You do not go from a life time of sedentary behavior and unchecked eating to ripped and at a healthy body weight in three months, or even six months, unless you are supremely genetically gifted AND you make all the required sacrifices and stay true to them. Even if you are genetically hardwired to carry more body fat that someone else, within that spectrum of you, you can still lose some. The line between "you should lose some body fat for aesthetic reasons" and "you need to lose some body fat for actual health reasons" is one I think is getting seriously distorted by the fat acceptance/fat positive movement.

For the vast majority of people, real fat loss is a slow, measured process that truly involves changing their lifestyle. And most people aren't willing to do that. They may give it three or four months of 80% compliance, see a little change but be disappointed by how slow it is, that it doesn't meet their ideals that have been warped by popular culture, and eventually fall off the wagon and just stop trying. I've kind of watched this happen with people around me that have gotten interested in training but then stopped.

So while I don't disagree per se, I think it's a stretch to think that millions upon million of people have legitimate medical reasons for being obese, rather than those medical reasons being a result of being obese. It's patterns and a simple lack of activity, that's gone to the point where some people don't have a simple (but not easy) fix anymore. There's a rationalization that comes along with becoming disabled like that, of seeking reasons why you're steadily watching your quality of life decline. And medical reasons give the air of "well it's not my fault", they garner sympathy and there's no real expected change because it's out of their direct control.

I don't deny that being fat gets pretty maligned, but the only way I'm really interested in thinking about blame around fat and being fat is self-awareness and honesty. If you've got those two things asserted, then it doesn't really matter whose fault it is, it really just matters what one will do with that knowledge. People waste a lot of effort and energy on blaming and shaming, and an entire industry has built up on both sides of the issue.

It's weird, I was listening to the JRE the other day and he was saying how calling someone fat as an insult is just a weird insult. And it got me thinking. There's African societies that glorify obesity. They treat it as a sign of wealth and fortune and health to be what you'd consider typically American overweight. You don't see anyone that's like, 500 pounds there. But it's interesting to think about the connotations.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 09:43:07 pm by nenjin »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 26, 2019, 10:42:50 pm »

But that also lends itself to the "I"m special" line of thinking. And rather being "special" in a good way, they're "special" in a way that hurts them.

Part of that is because we don't have a good set of tests yet for all the known causes. So people can just shrug and say they're different or special. Pinpointing actual causes fights against that. Right now the general rule of thumb from the much of the amateur bodybuilding community is to just shrug and say that "sometimes people are different", or to just deny all differences. More actual research will actually cut off some of those excuses. You've either been exposed to AD36 or you haven't. That excuse only holds if you have the antibodies, which can be tested for. And then those people can be put on a different training plan. They may need to avoid certain food or stick to a different eating schedule.

As for different cultures around fat, that seems to correlate pretty well with food or resource constrained societies. Which probably explains why it's desirable and why it's constrained at the same time. This can also vary over time in societies, for example you don't see images of curvy flappers in the roaring 20s, while there are few stick-thin models that were popular at the height of the great depression.
This has even been observed at the individual level:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-38003501

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 27, 2019, 02:19:49 am »

Double post but I wanted to address this specific point I missed

So while I don't disagree per se, I think it's a stretch to think that millions upon million of people have legitimate medical reasons for being obese, rather than those medical reasons being a result of being obese.

I already addressed this point. Obese people only have elevated antibodies for specific adenoviruses, so this isn't about obese people being more subscetible to viruses in general. Then, the specific adenovirus they have elevated antibodies for just happens to be one that can experimentally induce obesity in chickens, mice, rats and primates.

Sure, you could say the elevated AD36 anti-bodies are as "the result" of being obese, however since it's only this particular virus it's true of, then that becomes a difficult point to make. If so, why not all viruses? And why only the virus which causes obesity in so many other vertebrates? Pure coincidence? This is smacking up against Occam's Razor now.

What I think the AD36 stuff suggests is that there are changes it induces which make it much harder to maintain bodyweight. There are anecdotes in the media surrounding it where they talk to e.g. a farmer who caught a related virus from chickens, and after that his weight ballooned out despite him not actually changing anything about his lifestyle. They have also done twin studies. When one twin is fat and another thin, they've found AD36 in the fat one, only.

One other piece of evidence for a mechanism here is that obese people with AD36 have abnormally low blood triglycerides, compared to other obese people, who generally have elevated triglycerides. So, a possible mechanism is that their fat cells just aren't releasing enough triglycerides when they're supposed to. That guy in the story I mentioned said that he became always-hungry and lethargic after the infection. So, when you haven't eaten your fat cells are meant to make up the deficit with triglycerides, but what if they don't? You get crashed blood sugar levels and you feel hungry and tired all the time.

This sentiment falls under an "appeal to consequences". Sure, maybe as a result of some discovery of medical or genetic reasons for obesity, something bad might happen such as people making excuses for being fat. However, how people react to finding out things doesn't actually change whether they are true or not. A similar argument format is the one that "there must be a God, because if there was no God people would be free to murder each other".
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 02:57:44 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38