Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38

Author Topic: The Fitness Thread - THE RE-SWOLLENING  (Read 54689 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Fitness Thread (aka Git Fit, aka Swole Patrol, aka Many Rep, Such Wow)
« Reply #390 on: October 29, 2019, 01:17:24 pm »

Hey Hans,

Pushup video for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhdtowFDKT0

Now that you can seriously rep out on pushups, you can start doing variations to hit different parts of your chest.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 01:37:21 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 30, 2019, 02:35:56 pm »

At my highest weight I was 210lbs, now at my latest doc visit I was 197. Some of that could be due to fluctuation, but I feel like it's enough to officially be Progresstm. I can wear a belt that I haven't been able to wear in forever, though only to the first notch, and I can fit into my favorite pullover hoodie again.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #392 on: October 30, 2019, 02:49:42 pm »

Insofar as I'm an expert, I tend to call anything beyond 2kg (~3.8lb, I guess) an actual shift. Especially if it's persistent. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 30, 2019, 03:33:42 pm »

Usually article advice about weight loss "how XYZ lost 123 pounds" is pretty useless, but one I read did do the trick, which is shrinking the "eating window" each day. i think the same thing was mentioned here, in that eating the same amount of calories in two big meals loses you more weight than eating it in smaller more frequent meals.

I started having dinner around 8pm, then no breakfast but a large meal around 12. Lost 20 pounds in 2 months, no exercise. What I think could work is that you have carb-based meals at 12pm, snack at 4pm, then have a protein and veggie meal but light on carbs at 8pm.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 03:35:32 pm by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 30, 2019, 04:10:32 pm »

So after breaking up with my ex, as is only fitting for mid-life crises (nowadays hits ya when you're young!), I let myself get roped into nabbing a gym membership at the place a friend of mine frequents. The schedule, as it were, is Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday-Sunday, at around 7-9 AM on the weekend because then there's nobody else there (for good reason... God damn this woman's circadian rhythm!).

I didn't really have any specific goals in mind, other than "get more attractive for new dating adventures that will definitely not go as terribly as the last ones 7+ years ago!", and have mostly just been going because I have a vague notion of working out as being a healthy activity and so I let her kick my ass into doing it.

I've never liked working out, particularly not at gyms... I don't get more energy, I don't feel good, I don't see results in myself because of how my head works, I don't get this cherished endorphin rush everyone's talking about, and I have zero desire to brag about it. So a lot of this is basically just to have something to do that can be classed as "not entirely self-destructive".

As such, I'm definitely no gym rat... She isn't either, but she's better at being motivated to do stuff. But I can at least content myself with such things as:
  • I wipe the seats and benches down when I'm done
  • I zero out the elevation on the treadmill before leaving it
  • I rack my weights after using them
  • When doing bar exercises I secure the fucking weights jesus what is wrong with you people
  • I don't pretend to occupy three different machines/stations at the same time.

Since I've been primarily looking to increase my Hotness™ quotient, as a dude that generally means trying to beef my upper body up a bit, with focus on the chest and arms (I give zero shits about my weight, so weight loss/gain just isn't something I care enough about to factor in). So, naturally, I've been doing very little of that and instead been doing back-loaded squats every session because I read some things on the internet and that's the ultimate exercise everyone seems to be gushing about (not for building exactly, but just for general strength/health). Also deadlifts, but membership includes one free PT session so I'm waiting on that so I can get specific pointers on how to lift properly before I hurl myself into doing them too.

I was up to the entirely unimpressive 60kg for squats a while back (after a month or so of trying them out), but then hit a snag and didn't go for a few weeks. Now I'm back to 50 and just trying to get my body to remember the damn form properly before layering on again. Having a sedentary lifestyle my whole life kinda means the moosecleese are a bit shit.

5x5, 3+ minute rest between sets, pretty much the only specific and defined thing I do there. I'll occasionally throw in some dumbbell curls (3x10, somewhere around 30 sec rest) to plump the arms up a bit, but between squats, stretching, and a 15 minute (very) light cardio warmup there's generally not a whole lot of time left in the hour she wants to spend there, and I've lately been toast enough by that point that I'm willing to throw the towel in too.

My cardio's also shit, and I don't want to push myself before the squats because then I gas out like nothing... It's partly because I just don't have an active lifestyle, and partly because I'm also on a constant prescription of beta blockers, which directly restrict blood pressure and heartrate. So, yeah. Gettin' them BPMs is, ah, interesting.

Occasionally do core, which aside from squats basically just means plank (I've done suspended leg lifts a couple times, which gives a decent burn and is therefore apparently working, but again... Time/motivation restraints). I read another thing on the internet, so I'm disinclined to follow my workout buddy in her crunches and Russian twists.

So, ah... I guess that's it? Trying to hold on to what little I've managed to claw out of this whole ordeal, waiting on whenever it is I line up that PT session to really spread my wings and... Do very slightly more.

I'm here. I need a beer. Get used to it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 30, 2019, 05:03:40 pm »

At my highest weight I was 210lbs, now at my latest doc visit I was 197. Some of that could be due to fluctuation, but I feel like it's enough to officially be Progresstm. I can wear a belt that I haven't been able to wear in forever, though only to the first notch, and I can fit into my favorite pullover hoodie again.

Clothes are the easiest way to track fat loss (and gain.) Simply losing water weight isn't going to magically allow you to fit in to those jeans. Neither is not being bloated. So if you're fitting in to stuff you used to not be able to, you're on the right track!

Insofar as I'm an expert, I tend to call anything beyond 2kg (~3.8lb, I guess) an actual shift. Especially if it's persistent.

A 4 pound shift is real, but as you said, only if it's persistent. You can drop weight very quickly using "extreme" methods like serious fasting or avoiding carbs or w/e. But a slice of time isn't a good metric. A period of time is.

Usually article advice about weight loss "how XYZ lost 123 pounds" is pretty useless, but one I read did do the trick, which is shrinking the "eating window" each day. i think the same thing was mentioned here, in that eating the same amount of calories in two big meals loses you more weight than eating it in smaller more frequent meals.

There is no equivocal evidence I've seen that says eating fewer or more meals makes any real difference. Depending on your insulin sensitivity, eating more meals more frequently but in smaller portions may cause your insulin levels to spike less, which may result in less fat storage.

But the "two meals a day" thing is really about snacking and food control. If you eat 3k calories day, whether that's in two meals or six, and you're not physically active so you're doing something with those calories, it's probably not going to make much of a difference. "Time restricted eating" really leverages your ability to only eat so much, combined with not allowing you to eat outside of those windows. If you can only comfortably choke down 1200 calories in one meal, and only allow yourself two meals, it's easier to control your calorie intake. That's basically been my strategy. Two chunky meals, a late night snack, and nothing else.

I got more to say but I gotta go workout!
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 30, 2019, 05:07:24 pm »

Hey Hans,

Pushup video for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhdtowFDKT0

Now that you can seriously rep out on pushups, you can start doing variations to hit different parts of your chest.

I'm going to use this. Thanks Nenjin, I'd been wondering how to work those other upper body muscle groups without weights, though I've been doing some with weights.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 30, 2019, 11:07:30 pm »

I'm going to use this. Thanks Nenjin, I'd been wondering how to work those other upper body muscle groups without weights, though I've been doing some with weights.

*thumbs up*

I've never liked working out, particularly not at gyms... I don't get more energy, I don't feel good, I don't see results in myself because of how my head works, I don't get this cherished endorphin rush everyone's talking about, and I have zero desire to brag about it. So a lot of this is basically just to have something to do that can be classed as "not entirely self-destructive".

The first few weeks are the hardest. You will feel the most wrecked without seeing any real results. This is when most people quit. It's working out past that period, through that period, in spite of all the reasons to just quit, that you start seeing things change. What was hard gets easier, until you make it harder again. Recovery speed goes up. Your total work capacity increases. That takes a good month or so to start hitting that point.

When people say they "have more energy" what they actually mean "I feel motivated to do stuff." A body in motion tends to stay in motion, a body at rest tends to stay at rest. That's really all it is. When you've worked out hard and had time to cool down, in my experience, I'm more willing to knock out small shit like chores. I just moved 2,000 pounds of weight. Doing some dishes ain't shit compared to what I just did. Compared to when I wasn't working out, and getting up the motivation to do simple daily tasks was like UUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

The endorphin rush is really a blood rush. You've been pumping blood all over your body, in to your muscles. Your veins are swollen, your heart is enlarged and you're taking in way more oxygen at once than you do in a normal day. You're high off that effect, somewhat....and you're riding the high of doing hard shit and completing it. Your ego gets a little boost. Depending on your level of sado-masochism, the feeling of being drained, sore, stretched, beaten up kind of gets you off a little bit. It reinforces the feeling that you worked your ass off, and yeah, that does start to lead to a little bit of bragging.

All that comes together in that post workout high. It's not for everyone. I remember seeing an interview with Ryan Reynolds, who has had to get in shape/stay in shape for movies....he hates it. Doesn't see why people chase it when in his words "You spend all your time feeling like crap. When you do get to enjoy it?"

It comes down to the personality and WHY you're doing it in the first place. For me, I felt like I seriously racked disciprine. It felt good to attack a challenge, to throw everything I had into something until I had nothing left to give. I was ready to saddle myself with as much discomfort as I could possibly stand because I knew it was in pursuit of something real, and beneficial. What I *didn't* get in to fitness for was relationships. I didn't get in to it to make myself more attractive to others. In a way I got in to it to make myself more attractive to myself. I have a friend coming off of a divorce who tried to start working out with me, ostensibly for the same reason. He lasted only a couple weeks before he gave up. He says he still works out in his own time at home but if I'm honest I don't see a lot of results from it, and it's the kind of thing it's easy to say you do when you don't really.

Whatever reason you're working out is a good one. But is it a reason that will a) sustain you over time and b) cause you to really push yourself so you get something tangible out of the process.

I wipe the seats and benches down when I'm done
    I zero out the elevation on the treadmill before leaving it
    I rack my weights after using them
    When doing bar exercises I secure the fucking weights jesus what is wrong with you people
    I don't pretend to occupy three different machines/stations at the same time.

It's fucking amazing how many people don't do these things. I got some guys at my apartment gym who are in way better shape than me and yet don't rack their fucking weights and put shit back where they found it. I literally grabbed a yoga mat from right in front of some dumbass because he thought the right place to leave it was hanging up in the fucking squat rack. Christ, I'm probably going to get in a fight one of these days, it annoys me that bad. Oh, you can bench 275 but you're too much of a fucking pussy to put the weights back on the rack when you're done? Putting the weight back is lifting weights, it's part of the exercise! Assholes. I respect circuit training but it is damn annoying to know that one guy is monopolizing the squat rack, the yoga mat, the knee raise/dips platform and a pair of dumbbells for 15 to 20 minutes. Not securing your weights is all about ego and confidence. Most people don't lift heavy enough to actually need weights secured, but for me, I'd rather look weak than look stupid in the event I actually ended up dumping some weights. Also my bar path is often pretty uneven, which is why I clip the fuck up.

Also let me just add: playing your music off your phone. Yeah, just because we all have headphones in does not mean we can't hear your music. I carry a bluetooth speaker with me for when the gym is empty. When people come in, I either turn it off or ask them if they'd like to me to turn it off. (I do that at my work gym since I'm one of about 6 people that regularly use it. My appt gym is almost never empty though.) So goddamn annoying. We use headphones, you should too.

Since I've been primarily looking to increase my Hotness™ quotient, as a dude that generally means trying to beef my upper body up a bit, with focus on the chest and arms (I give zero shits about my weight, so weight loss/gain just isn't something I care enough about to factor in).

Let me give you a wake up call.

If you want to look hotter, care about your body fat. When people say weight, that's what they actually mean.

I don't know you, and you haven't stated what your body weight or body fat % is. But I can tell you, if you're over 15%, unless you're planning on putting 40 pounds of muscle, if you don't get somewhat leaner it's not going to look very impressive. Look at powerlifters. They're BIG guys, they carry a lot of muscle. But they also generally are a good amount above 15%. Because body fat is fuel for really heavy lifting. But they "look like shit" as most people in the fitness industry put it. Because looks aren't their priority. Raw power and setting records is.

When you're leaner, you can actually see your muscle. Get really lean, and even without a lot of muscle, you will easily looked more ripped. Above 15% body fat most men start looking softer, depending on where they carry body fat and how much you can see. If you increase your muscle mass without doing anything about your body fat you will look "bigger" without necessarily looking better. Aesthetics are an individual thing, what people like or want is highly personal. But I can tell you from experience, I didn't really start liking the look of myself in the mirror until I got under 15%. I saw small changes in the places where I carry very little body fat (namely my arms and legs.) But in the big show areas, like chest and abs....I knew I had muscle under there and it was growing, but it was hard to appreciate with even pretty reasonable body fat levels. And as soon as I turned to the side and those nice round love handles showed, the whole effect was kinda ruined. I haven't built a shitload of muscle, I'm cautious about even trying to put a number on it. But 10? pounds of muscle in truth doesn't show under the body fat if it's high enough. What is "high enough" is up to you.

So yeah, unless you're planning to get fucking enormous, if you honestly want to look hotter, you should at least think about your body fat. If nothing else, addressing your body fat teaches you a lot about food and your relationship to it. Along with having the discipline (if not the enthusiasm) for going the gym regularly, trying to reduce your body fat forces you to be more disciplined in the rest of your day, not just when you're in the gym. All of which are good things that build a solid foundation for better gains and more effort down the line, when shit REALLY starts to get hard. I LONG for the days of working out at above 15% body fat, I had much more energy to push myself harder and lift more weight. As I get leaner, despite looking better in my own eyes, I'm getting weaker. It's all a balancing act. If you're comfortable with your body fat, then be comfortable and just lift like you mean it, you'll probably still lose some body fat along the way if you're doing it right.

And I guess one last thing to mention on body fat levels...it's not just your belly or your chest or your arms or your thighs that gets thinner. It's your face. That's where people will notice it first unless they regularly see you sans clothing. If you wanna improve your looks.....the face is a definitely a part of that.

5x5, 3+ minute rest between sets, pretty much the only specific and defined thing I do there. I'll occasionally throw in some dumbbell curls (3x10, somewhere around 30 sec rest) to plump the arms up a bit, but between squats, stretching, and a 15 minute (very) light cardio warmup there's generally not a whole lot of time left in the hour she wants to spend there, and I've lately been toast enough by that point that I'm willing to throw the towel in too.

Some thoughts on time management/other stuff:

• You're timing your rest periods which is great. That alone is one of the biggest time savers, not getting distracted and looking at your phone or texting people and taking 5 minutes between sets. My rest periods are 1 minute for most exercises, and three minutes for big compound movements like squats and deadlifts. I've been doing it for so long I often know exactly how many seconds I have left without looking at my phone or actually counting them....just judging my breathing and how much muscle burn I don't feel anymore. I actually...have kind of learned I don't really like having lifting buddies, or teaching people in the gym that much, because it cuts in to my own workout and timing more than I'd like.
  • People vastly over inflate the importance of warm ups, and put way too much time in to it. Grab some exercise bands. Warm up the areas you intend to work that day with 1 or 2 sets of 10 reps. (I do shoulder breakers for my shoulders, band pull aparts for my back and rotator cuff and banded bicep curls for my arms. You can do a banded X-Walk or w/e it's called to warm up your hips, hip flexors, etc and so forth.) Takes about 3 minutes. On leg days I do 45 seconds of mountain climbers, which gets me breathing harder, my heart rate up and blood pumping to my glutes, hamstrings and quads. Burpies will absolutely get your whole body warmed up in under a minute if you even last that long. If you're taking more than 10 minutes to warm up, regardless of what it is, you're probably doing too much.
  • Do your cardio on a different day. I don't do enough cardio and there's a lot of broscience around it....but generally speaking, I try to keep my cardio and my lifting separate. Cardiovascular fitness is good, but people's 15 minute on the treadmill with maybe 2 minutes of high intensity running strikes me as a lot of time invested for very little payout. I see this shit in the gym constantly. People do 15 minutes of cardio, 3 to 5 actual minutes of lifting and call it a day. You don't get very far in the lifting department with those kinds of priorities. There's also the philosophy that the body adapts to what you ask it to do. Want to know what the body really doesn't want when it's running? Muscle. It's heavy. It carries a lot of water. It wants lots of calories. It's not aerodynamic and flops around and throws off your gait when your run. Muscle is inefficient from the body's perspective, that's why you don't carry a lot of it naturally unless the demands placed on your body require it. So when you're always including cardio and perhaps cardio is where MOST of your work actually gets done, the bros will tell you just won't grow as much muscle and maybe might even lose some. In extreme cases you can see this with long distance runners who can run for 200 miles...but carry very, very little muscle. Running efficiently and having lots of muscle are kind of opposite goals. Just my 2 cents.
  • There's also a bit of broscience on stretching before a work out. The idea being that stretching out muscle fiber and THEN applying heavy tension makes you more likely to tear something in a bad way. I do all my stretching before bed. The rationale being that sleeping is when you're going to get the tightest because you're going to be laying mostly still for 6 to 8 hours. So putting a stretch on your muscles right before that then leaves you in better shape the next day, rather than stretching before a workout and doing no stretching later. I do about 25 minutes of stretching at night on my work days, and try to hit everything I worked plus stuff that just feels good and right to do. (I do 40 seconds of a deep squat and reach, a fully articulated bend over to touch my toes, quads and hamstring stretches, child's pose for the lower back...in addition to all the heads of the shoulder, forearms, pecs, bicep, back, lat stretches and ab stretches.)
  • Plan out your workout. Seriously. Know the things you're going to do, keep your rest periods tight and just start accruing volume. When you find that you're just not as tired or sore or drained as you used to be, it's time to add more exercises to the session and make for a longer session, OR increase the intensity by increasing the weight, doing more reps, harder variations, etc.... I go in to the gym on a mission to complete all the lifts I want to get done, so I can get the hell out of the gym, because it's all too easy to just say "I'll do one less exercise" or "I'll just rest another minute." Keeping time in the gym helps you get more done, and after doing it this long, the alternative is almost maddening. Someone caught me right before work was over to talk some stuff out and I was 20 minutes late getting started with my workout, which is 9 sets worth of exercises by how I keep time, and it was agony watching the minutes tick by. I write my workouts in my phone so if I'm ever unclear as to what I still need to do I can reference back to them. Bottomline: don't go to the gym and look around and go "what do I feel like doing." That's inconsistent, and consistently training muscle groups is what makes them grow. "A little bit of this, a little bit of that" doesn't get you really anywhere. Create a plan, even if it's your own amateur stupid one, and adhere to it. Or try someone else's workout plan if you feel up to it.

My cardio's also shit, and I don't want to push myself before the squats because then I gas out like nothing... It's partly because I just don't have an active lifestyle, and partly because I'm also on a constant prescription of beta blockers, which directly restrict blood pressure and heartrate. So, yeah. Gettin' them BPMs is, ah, interesting.

Oof. That sucks. Well, for me, deadlifts blast my heart rate and respiration like nothing else, because I do a lot of breathing deep then bracing my core. I'm gulping air like a fish out of water by my 3rd set of deadlifts, so, get ready for that. But as I said my cardio is not great AND I still smoke. So. Maybe it won't be as bad for you despite beta blockers.

Occasionally do core, which aside from squats basically just means plank (I've done suspended leg lifts a couple times, which gives a decent burn and is therefore apparently working, but again... Time/motivation restraints). I read another thing on the internet, so I'm disinclined to follow my workout buddy in her crunches and Russian twists.

When it comes to what gets said on the internet about a particular exercise.....my advice is to try it and see how it makes you feel. That's what actually matters. Get educated about the movement, make sure you're doing it right, then try it. Athlean-X goes on and on about shoulder impingement and which exercises you shouldn't do because of the risk, while others say they've done these exercises for years and experience no problems. Try things. Experiment. See what feels good, what doesn't feel good, what just straight up feels wrong or painful. Learn to separate DISCOMFORT from PAIN. Discomfort is part of the process. Literal pain is a warning sign. I've also read plenty about how crunches are bad, full situps are worse, Russian Twists jeopardize your lower back, deadlifts are a guaranteed to leave you crippled....all nonsense for the most part.

Remember, people talking about fitness on the internet want views and clout, so everyone is trying to claim they have secrets, the master tip, the inside knowledge even though exercise science has been a thing for 50+ years and many of these people have been working out at best for 10 years or less. I watched one youtube video claiming bending over to touch your toes leads to back injuries, even though being able to bend over and touch your toes is a marker for health and longevity. And the comments were filled with people going "OMG, I did this for years, no one wonder I have back problems" or "my ballet teachers RUINED MY BODY" even though 99% of these people probably have shitty posture which has way more to do with how your back handles things than what stretches you do.

Try shit. Evaluate. Do what feels right for you, and if it doesn't, don't do it. Do something else a different way for the same muscles. Don't want to do Russian Twists? They don't feel right? Do knee to elbow plank crunches instead, or oblique crunches with a weight in one hand, or Landmine Twisters with a barbell. Biomechanically, due to our height, bone structure, bone density, muscle attachments.....everyone handles exercises a little differently. Doesn't mean the exercise is bad, it means it may just not be optimal for you. Super tall people often struggle with the deadlift because they have a lot further to bring the weight up than a shorter, stockier person. They have more back to deal with, they have sit their hips back further to reach the bar because their legs are longer, which puts a way bigger stretch on their hamstrings. People with long arms can struggle with the bench press sometimes because they have to move the weight further to achieve full extension. Some postural problems built up over a life time may make you more prone to injury and discomfort in certain exercises than someone else. Some things are categorically true I think, but they're sort of the obvious ones, like "eat big get big" or "burn more calories than you eat to lose body fat." For the rest though, you really have to pay attention to the info and your own body when doing these things, and be your own judge. In a world of too much information you have to do your own filtering. And there's just way too much going on in fitness to take almost anything as gospel. I include myself in that.

So, ah... I guess that's it? Trying to hold on to what little I've managed to claw out of this whole ordeal, waiting on whenever it is I line up that PT session to really spread my wings and... Do very slightly more.

Consistency. Consistency of effort. Time. If you have the first two dialed in, and you're patient with the 3rd, you will get results. They will be slower than people with a financial interest in fitness will ever honestly tell you. They talk about these things in terms of weeks, and maybe months. And maybe for people that are genetically gifted and really pushing themselves to the limit both in terms of workouts and nutrition, yeah maybe they can see significant changes in just months. But by and large the three, six and nine month "transformations" are mostly bullshit. Camera angles, lighting, drugs, getting a pump and flexing, and extreme methods, all these things to make them appear like the fitness elite. When you see the photos of just normal people who have put in the hard work going from out of shape to in shape, they're a lot more realistic and often much less impressive because they're honest.

I'm here. I need a beer. Get used to it.

You've earned it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 01:11:59 am by nenjin »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 31, 2019, 05:26:46 am »

Yeah, I've been going since, uh... End of May? Again, goal is 4 times a week, but due to scheduling conflicts the average is closer to just 2. Then last month I had a cold for a week that, combined with other stuff, ended up knocking me the hell out for 3 weeks. At which point it seemed like I lost whatever I'd just spent the past months getting to, so it's a fresh start from here boyos!

When people say they "have more energy" what they actually mean "I feel motivated to do stuff."
Yeah, I just don't get that. I feel miserable at the gym, I feel miserable getting back from the gym. It's all I can do to just lump myself in the shower afterwards, doing anything else that day is pretty much out the window. Definitely no ego boost either, since the way my head looks at it; everything's just a compounded reminder of everything I can't do, rather than what I can do or have done. No Ahhnold "Every rep feels like I'm cumming" either.

I used to have discipline, then I was in the army... That knocked a lot of it out of me. Like, I still go work out even though I don't really feel/see results and I find the experience awful, because I've agreed to do it. Now if I don't go, I'm failing that other person instead of just failing myself.

Also let me just add: playing your music off your phone.
God, we just got a new dude in who does this... As if the standard selection the gym plays isn't awful enough, this guy comes in and just cranks his phone speakers to max and puts it down next to his mat while he spends the day doing a floor routine. At least his speakers are kinda puny so the sound doesn't carry that much...

If you want to look hotter, care about your body fat. When people say weight, that's what they actually mean.
I legitimately don't even know how much I weigh at this point. Haven't stepped on a scale since, like, the military? So 2011. There was a while with my ex where I puffed out a bit, but that went down again for some reason...

Back in the day, I was about 160-166 lbs at 6'1", and I don't think I've gone much outside of that range... But again, I don't have any real numbers on that (don't even own a scale!). Sure, my belly's not flat, but I can touch my forearms behind my back and grab the inside of my ribs, so I figure I'm alright.

Thing is, my food intake is fucked enough as it is, I just don't want to make things more complicated by stressing about my fat levels. It's already enough of a pain just prepping a minimal dinner every day; let alone getting a varied diet... Trying to stack more restrictions and conditions on top of that is just going to make me lose what little motivation I've got and potentially make the whole house of cards collapse. S'why I'm not even bothering thinking about abs, since I know I'm simply not going to have the dedication to drop myself lean enough for them to show.

For as often as it's touted as a cure-all, depression/trauma and exercise really don't like playing nice together... Funny, that.

But hey, a while back I couldn't roll my shirt sleeves all the way up because my upper arms were too big! So despite not being able to see myself changing, I have little things like that which I can try to beat myself over the head with to show that something's happening. But yeah, planning/documentation... Pretty damn shit at doing that. It's a point I gotta work on, not gonna lie... One of many.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 31, 2019, 06:22:41 am »

Unless you are going for something really extreme like dropping a lot of kilos in 1-2 months there isn't really a need to put any restrictions other than how many calories you take in. A nutritionist can really help you by giving you a well balanced plan* but honestly you could dedicate a day or two to look up the foods that you already like to eat and adjust your portions accordingly. You might need to experiment a bit, but it's totally possible.

The rule of thump is: Vegetables give negligible amounts of calories, eat as much as you like. Potatoes (or other starch rich food) aren't vegetables, legumes aren't vegetables, fruits aren't vegetables, nuts aren't vegetables. Anything that isn't a vegetable needs portioning.

About the actual workout thingy, my personal opinion is that doing a lit bit of everything in each session isn't very effective. Going from trying to do everything in each session to dedicated days for arms, legs, torso I found I could do a lot more work in each musclegroup before I was out of steam. It also helps me to "spread the discomfort" throughout the week so I'm not totaly useless the next day.

* I can only speak for myself, but I found my nutrinionist's plan immensly easy to follow and without having to forgo any kind of foods. Compared to my previous attempts where I was struggling on my own, cutting out the carbs, trying this and that... yeah I ain't looking back.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 31, 2019, 06:55:49 am »

That's all well and fine, but vegetables go bad quickly and generally require a certain amount of preparation before turning into a meal (I mean, I love snacking on raw veggies, don't get me wrong... But that's not really dinner per se). The quick turnover means I have to make more trips to the store, which is a big energy drain, and prep work also requires a fair amount of energy that sometimes I just don't have. I used to be able to make a few different meals from scratch, but then I hit a slump and now I'm just trying to clean the apartment up and get back to that level of function while making sure I eat every day. And if I don't manage to go through my stock in time, rotting vegetables are a huge hit to my general state of mind; another reminder that I'm just not capable of handling life.

Generally speaking, I'll have a few slices of bread for breakfast, then dinner is pasta and black beans topped with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Yeah, there are a lot of nutritional holes there, but it really only requires me to boil water in order to get it made. And that's all I can bring myself to do these days. The makings are cheap and have long shelf lives, meaning I can buy bulk and not have to think about what I'm gonna make or how I'm gonna make it for several days or a week at a time.

At least I'm not ordering takeaway every day...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 31, 2019, 07:12:18 am »

Uh, bread, diary, eggs and meat all go bad pretty quickly, generally quicker than vegetables.

The basic stuff you should have in the fridge is stuff like cabbage, carrots and onions. These all last ages. Your problem is that you're probably buying wimpy vegetables such as lettuce and tomatoes.

Also don't discount frozen veggies. These are the cheap and low-effort version, and while not as good as fresh, the fresh versions degrades faster than frozen. You should be able to get bags of mixed frozen veggies for under $2 a kilo, and those will keep for months. Plus you massively save on prep time.

If you don't like prep, get a cheap rice cooker. These things turn off when the temperature goes over 100, because at that point the water's boiled off. You can easily cook brown rice with one of these with much less hassle than boiling rice.

Cook a pot of rice, and start by frying some onion, then put in some meat/protein then mix in other chopped veggies, and whatever spices / sauce you want. Let cook for a little, then mix in some rice and possibly break an egg into it. Mix the egg right through it while cooking for a minute or two.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 07:24:39 am by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #402 on: October 31, 2019, 07:34:19 am »

Shop bread is crammed full of so many preservatives it can keep for an uncanny length of time. Refrigerated eggs and milk can both comfortably outlast greens and any kind of pre-cut vegetable.

That being said, the veg you mentioned will last longer. Big +1 for frozen vegetables; they're not as tasty as fresh, but they're perfectly edible and preparation is wonderfully simple. Slice open bag, decant necessary amount of vegetables, boil until dead. Return bag to freezer. If you're feeling creative, you can do things that aren't boiling.

Of course, this is predicated on owning a freezer.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 31, 2019, 08:34:06 am »

We might as well move to the food thread at this point :P

I'm curious about what do you mean by "x food lasts for ages", "y food spoils quickly" ? Reading the last few posts, I'm starting to question my own preconceptions about the subject. So, lets put some numbers down (regional variations notwithstanding):

Quick-spoiling food (tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage, zucchini, eggplants, spinach, cucumbers, peppers): 5-7 days outside, 8-12 in fridge
Normal-spoling food (carrots, bread, eggs, fruits ): 7-15 days outside
Obligatory refridgerated foods (milk, cheese, yogurt, fresh meat/fish): 5-7 days, up to 20 days for cheese/yogurt
Slow-spoiling food (potatoes, onions, garlic, legumes, frozen meat/fish, cereal, flour, double-baked bread): 1 - 12 months

Having a freezer is pretty much necessary in my opinion, both for storing meat/fish and for any vegetable that you might want to keep for long (ie peppers, boiled corn, celery etc).
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 31, 2019, 09:06:50 am »

Uh, bread, diary, eggs and meat all go bad pretty quickly, generally quicker than vegetables.
My diaries usually go bad midway through the first entry!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38