Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38

Author Topic: The Fitness Thread - THE RE-SWOLLENING  (Read 54731 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

I have been, to put it mildly, slacking on my exercise. My diet however, I have been making an effort to improve. I've gone from soda to sparking water (and fresca) for my bubbly carbonation fix. I need to work on introducing more vegetables to my diet for sure, but I've done good cutting out most sugars and breads (though I can't give up my tortillas).

Most of my issues eating stem from not having the motivation (or executive function - jury's still out) to actually cook something so I've gotten tupperware and am making vigorous use of my slow cooker for shredded chicken, soups, and stews.

I also employ a rice cooker when I'm feeling like making something a little different. It's just white rice, but that's what was there when I moved in so I'm going to use it all. Throw some frozen veggie mix and beans in there and call it a day, or scramble up some eggs to make fried rice.

Did a little running the other day though, might have to wait until I lose some more weight for that. I could really feel it in my shins. With the warmer weather slowly making its way here, I'm excited to crack out my bike again.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I just eat my veggies raw while my carbs and proteins cook. I usually do a big fistful of baby spinach and a big carrot. Between those, the onions, garlic and mushrooms I put in most of my meals and I feel like I get a decent helping of veggies per day. I've never liked veggies, even as a little kid. Particularly cooked veggies. So rather than trying to find a way to work them in to my meals, I just wolf them down raw. I honestly enjoy them way more that way.

Most of my issues eating stem from not having the motivation (or executive function - jury's still out) to actually cook something so I've gotten tupperware and am making vigorous use of my slow cooker for shredded chicken, soups, and stews.

I'm still struggling with this, as I've mentioned above before. I've done a lot of my favorite, longer-keeping recipes by now. I've been living off of chicken and rice for the last month or so. At first, it was amazing. I throw some garlic and curry spices on the chicken, season my rice the same way, throw in some veggies after I saute the chicken, throw the rice in and toss it around like stir fry.

But after doing that meal 20 or so times in the last month, I'm getting a little burnt out. There's only so many ways to do chicken and rice. I was so desperate for a change I bought a streak and had steak and egg noodles with butter and parmeasan cheese. And TBH, I'm not a big fan of steak either. A big slab of charred protein does the job but I find it pretty boring. But that's how hard up for variety I'm getting, that I resorted to it.

So my plan is to figure out another 3 to 4 day meal I can make. Angling towards either beef stroganoff or chicken pasta salad. Haven't made up my mind yet. Still need to figure out dinner for tonight too >< I wish I could have a grill at my apartment. It would be so much more convenient to grill up 5 or 6 chicken breasts at a time instead of having to buy, prep and cook some every day.

Truth is there's other recipes I want to try. (Lentil Soup, Mulligtawny Soup jump to mind) but I don't have the motivation currently to experiment with my night's meal. It's one thing when you've got other food ready to eat, and you can experiment and fail and it's ok. But when you're experimenting and it's also your night's meal on the line....I tend to fall back on what I know works.

Also, don't fear the carbs! Carbs are GOOD. Your body has evolved to prefer carbs for energy. The issue is not carbs in and of themselves. It's the amount of carb intake versus the amount of energy expended. If you're just doing cardio, yeah, carbs may slow down weight loss a little. But if you're lifting weights, you NEED that stored energy in the muscle that carbs provide, unless you're doing the keto diet and actually sticking to it. Cardio doesn't do a whole lot to increase your body's metabolic rate; that's why cardio folks tell you to stay away from carbs. But when you're lifting weights and bringing the intensity...your body's metabolic rate increases along with the increase in lean muscle mass. So you can eat carbs while lifting heavy and you'll continue to lose weight rather than store it as fat, because you're burning off those carbs during your workout AND hours or even days later as your body rebuilds muscle and continues to burn calories while it does so.

So I wouldn't feel guilty about your breads, tortillas or rices. Have carbs with every meal. Just figure out how many carbs you're getting in a day. I've heard some body builders talk up as many as _400g_ of carbs a day for increasing mass, which is insane to me. That's a shit load of carbs. 80 to 100g of carbs a day shouldn't hurt you, and will provide energy for your works outs so you can go the distance.

In truth, the real devil of carbs are sugars, which it sounds like you've correctly started weeing yourself off of. Sugary carbs are way more calorie dense than other sources of carbs, despite not providing as many real nutrients. So if you're eating _clean_ carbs, you can actually eat a boatload without affecting your waist line. I'm regularly amazed how much MORE I have to eat to hit my daily macros when I'm eating clean. I'll seriously have a full dinner of maybe 900 calories and I feel stuffed. Versus eating 1500 calories of garbage fast food and being like "Yeah I could eat a little more" when it's all said and done.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 03:30:13 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did some awesome squats. Holding 10lb weights in each hand, then doing walking squats around what I believe was a 1/4 mile track. It's been two days and my ass still hurts.

Also, I forgot to mention that I did get that pre-workout stuff, as opposed to just having a banana or something. I know that stuff like this probably charges a premium causes it's targeted at gullible suckers like myself, but I'm desperate for change in my life and I'd like that change to come sooner rather than later, so the experimentation seems necessary. I think it's working? Maybe, it might just be a placebo effect, but I do try extra hard after taking it, I think.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would deconstruct your preworkout to see what's in it, and if maybe you can do a cheaper solution. Lots of preworkouts are just a shit load of caffeine and a bunch of additional nonsense, seriously.

But if it's having a positive effect, then rad!

I can't really do walking lunges, my knees protest too much. I keep to it kettlebell goblet squats, single leg standing lunges and side lunges. And yeah, the ass pain is real. But that's because so few people really ever work their glutes, and for lovers of games and people in the tech industry, they're basically spending 8 hours a day neutralizing their glute muscles and have been for years.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:11:53 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile

The phd student who was supervising my chem subject over summer used to work at a supplement store. He said it was very under regulated, and some of the pre-workouts contained what was essentially speed. Mostly just caffeine though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Went out and bought a scale today because I haven't weighed myself since Thanksgiving.....

On a regular, non-digital scale, at Thanksgiving (Pre-meal) I weighed 182. That was down from 203, from my last physical in early 2016 I think.

Today I weigh myself on this fancy digital scale with body composition stats and all this hoopla.....

It says:

-I weigh 185.2. (So either the other scale I weighed myself on was totally wrong, or I've gained more muscle weight than I've dropped fat weight, or this fancy scale is actually a huge piece of shit.)

-My body fat% is 24%. (Yeah, fuckin no. Even with the most wildly varying BF% estimates, I'm not 24% fucking body fat anymore. Just for fun I weighed myself before and after a workout. Pre-workout it showed 22% body fat. After it was 24%. SCIENCE!)

-I have ~133 pounds of muscle mass. (This is, of course, utter nonsense. Maybe it's including the weight of my organs and bones in that #, but if so it still is completely misrepresenting it. That # doesn't even jive with the examples shown in the scale's own documentation! Either it's a janky piece of shit or I am literally over 70% muscle by weight. Guess which one is more likely. If I take 24% out of 185, I get 140.6, which is close...ish? to its "muscle mass" reading of 133 pnds. Still, none of it lines up correctly, either in the numbers or just my own visual experience over the last 6 months.)

-Approximately 53% of my weight comes from water. (Which may or may not be accurate, since there's no real way to test it other than dying of dehydration and weighing the fresh but desiccated remains.)

For a $25 scale from Target I didn't expect much. But this seems so far off the mark as to be broken, even after calibrating it for my age, height and activity level. It's using electrical resistance to measure some of this stuff which is why it's basically completely inaccurate. I suppose if you can't get the same readings from professional body fat tests and shit like the Bod Pod, I don't know why I expected some mass market crap scale to be any better.

At least I can use it as a baseline though, even with all the inaccuracy. Still, I was expecting to get on the scale and be in the 170 range somewhere. Not actually heavier than the last time I weighed myself, because I've dropped a bunch of body fat since Thanksgiving. (More than I'd lost up to that point, I'm sure.)

So I'm a little miffed. I wanted #s and, shock, I'm not happy with them. Still, I've gotten enough fitness advice to know not to obsess over the scale. I'll weigh myself on Sundays or something and see how the #s move around between weeks. Ultimately it's not my weight I'm concerned about, it's my body fat%. But I've been running under the assumption I'm burning more fat than I am building muscle since most of my "gains" I feel are just due to my falling body fat %. So I was expecting to see a large drop after my last weigh in.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:39:12 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPylHAP0U-Y

I like Sean Nalewanyj's videos. They're to the point, he's concise, there's no hype, there's no pushing his product. There's no overenthusiastic bro science on his channel.

And I think this is a pretty good video for those of us that have been working out for a few months now and the newness and motivation has worn off.

It's when the really hard work begins. When you're not running off the high of being active, or you've adapted to the high of being active as a "normal" state of being....that's when self-discipline comes in. In the last two months I've had to get really familiar with self-discipline because there have been many days I didn't want to workout, or I was half way through my workout and a decent % of my brain and body was going "just call it an early day, you're not going to lose much by not completing all these sets."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

I doubt I'll be able to force myself to work out today, what with this cold I've got making me feel so awful. Think I'll just focus on trying to get well.   
Problematic, since I still feel bad for not exercising... :-X   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Golden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I doubt I'll be able to force myself to work out today, what with this cold I've got making me feel so awful. Think I'll just focus on trying to get well.   
Problematic, since I still feel bad for not exercising... :-X   

Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure. Say no to the cold, say no to the snooze button. Get up get out and get Big

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I take a break when I'm feeling unwell, I don't want to exacerbate my illness when my body is trying to fix the problem and repair the damage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I still have no clue if that prework stuff is helping at all, though I know one thing that works is this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMCYNH1EJTg

I have my mp3 player, and it just plays songs randomly, and when this one comes on, it doesn't matter how tired and sweaty I am, my strength surges up and I go at 110%. Especially when it hits the line "I know, the weakness within is my greatest foe!" and I feel like I can't give up no matter what.

I just wanted to comment on this one thing, since i feel I had such a great workout today because this song hit at just the perfect moment when I was feeling weakest. It's enough to get me all teary eyed and emotional.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Music definitely helps me get through my workout. Usually when I'm pooped mid workout and starting to doubt if I can finish, the right song comes along and makes me go "Alright, enough rest, gotta grind out those last couple sets!"

I know it's music I'll like for my workout when the beat matches my elevated heart rate.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

PTW even though I go to a rock climbing gym instead of a gym-gym.

Also recently went on Soylent so I guess ama
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Went to the doctor today (sustained a finger injury on a job site so I'm not going to be lifting shit for a couple weeks until this heals ><) and got weighed.

Turns out I actually am weighing around 190 again.

Which means I've put on like ~10 pounds of muscle. That's pretty rad! I don't feel like I've added that much muscle, but factoring in the drop in body fat I don't have any explanations left other than that.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Currently trying to get my exercise routine back on track now that I'm mostly over this damn cold.   
I really want to get a better setup for working out. Might work on that once I'm back from visiting family next month... the minor gains I've been getting are nice and all, but I'd like to start doing some proper lifting as well as maybe some rowing and shit for "core strength".   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38