Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The bloody library.  (Read 2027 times)

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
The bloody library.
« on: November 10, 2017, 09:39:15 pm »

Oh yes.This is a idea I came up with.So first I will create a huge library.Then when ever a scribe or some one else visits I will kill them and take all there stuff!Who knows, maybe they will have legendary books!Or I could just steal every single thing on them.Perhaps the "Bloody library" will have a door that locks when I have some visitors inside than my archers (Who are behind the fortifications surrounding the library will destroy them or I could trap them in with out food!Anyways any flaws?I would like to know what you think. 

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: The bloody library.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 09:50:33 pm »

Your heart is in the right place :)  That said, visiting scholars only rarely carry documents themselves.  The 2 main ways of acquiring new books are:

- Buy from the caravans
- Get your Dwarves and visitors to write new ones

Once a new book/scroll is written however, visitors are notorious for taking it with them when they leave the map, so having containment measures in and around your library is definitely a good move.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 03:09:16 pm »

Step1 - Check if they are members of your civ
Step2 - Order the military to murder them outright

Otherwise: Set up your library to flood with water. Water damage to scrolls or codices is not a thing, so you could just drown anyone foolish to browse your library whilst carrying a unique tome.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 08:32:30 pm »

Step1 - Check if they are members of your civ
Step2 - Order the military to murder them outright

I can't tell whether you intend step 1 to affect step 2 at all.  :)

EDITWHILETYPING: Wait, does the squad interface allow you to select civ members as targets?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 12:12:10 am »

Yeah, as long as they're not part of your forts. You can slaughter dwarven caravan, if you want a loyalty cascade.

Also, not only does it allow civ members as targets, but also the friends of civ members. And friends are likely to defend each other.

Runaway_char

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 08:02:13 am »

How do you buy books from the caravan?  They never seem to bring any, and requesting codexes or scrolls just brings blank writing material

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 08:30:29 am »

How do you buy books from the caravan?  They never seem to bring any, and requesting codexes or scrolls just brings blank writing material

Bad luck. They bring at least two with them for me.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 05:42:31 pm »

The caravan always brings at least four written books and/or codices and/or scrolls to me, and the human caravan does the same. The humans often have material devoted to Understanding the Dwarf, which I always think is kind of amusing :)  They're trying so hard to understand us! Often it's multiple alternately decorated versions of the same book.

Not all the written stuff has its title on the spine there: Much of it is described as, say, "codex" and when you view it, it turns out to have something written in it.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!