Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Harvest Moon: Light of Hope  (Read 2331 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Harvest Moon: Light of Hope
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:18:59 am »

I heard DangerouslyFunny (YouTube guy who loves Stardew Valley and basically all other Harvest-Moon-likes) mention that this is going to drop in a few days and had to go check it out. I'm not sure about "in a few days" but it is supposed to come out this month.

I've owned every Harvest Moon (, Rune Factory, and Innocent Life) game on a Nintendo console from N64-Wii, portables included, and the PSP games. I'll probably be picking this up soon after release assuming reviews aren't ass.

Check it out. There's not a whole lot of info there but it's Harvest Moon. You should know basically what you're getting.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Harvest Moon: Light of Hope
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 09:16:11 am »

I'm a bit ambivalent.  I'm not overly impressed with where the new Harvest Moon games have gone ever since Natsume lost the rights to future releases in the original game series, though to be fair, they have been starting more or less from scratch as a translation company that had to grow a development wing in order to get any use out of the name.  I picked up Skytree Village on a sale not too long back, but barely got into it before it gave me the impulse to dust off Sunshine Islands.  It feels like it subscribed a bit to the Chrono Cross school of character development with ze funni aksents and gratuitous foreign languages, non?

On the other hand, by the same token, the growing complexity of the new Story of Seasons games has started to turn me off a little bit now that I've had a bit less time to actually play nowadays.  It's much harder to just pick up and go for an hour or so per week when you have to remember which of several stats need to be raised on thirteen different animals, which other stats need to be raised on different crops and trees, which items need to be reserved for tasks that need to be finished, and so forth. As such, maybe I'm just getting old. :P
Rune Factory 5 when?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:19:33 am by Culise »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:28:54 am »

It's nice to see a new Harvest Moon game that's not exclusive to Nintendo. And the preview video doesn't look terrible at all. Definitely adding this to my watch-list.

Though I do wish they would make another Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 11:12:22 am »

Those graphics look.. really off.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 11:39:05 am »

Those graphics look.. really off.

They stuck out to me too, but the Gamecube and Wii Harvest Moon games went through some distinctly different art styles that looked off at the time as well.

I was slightly berated on Reddit for bringing this game up. Harvest Moon isn't Harvest Moon because Story of Seasons is Harvest Moon.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 11:41:45 am »

I haven't liked the looks of any of the new Natsume Harvest Moon games and this one in particular looks pretty subpar for the genre. I'd rather revisit something earlier in the series than play any of the crap they've been pumping out with the licence.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 01:48:53 pm »

Just so you know. The devs who made the original and better quality harvestmoon games aren't working for the harvestmoon license anymore. Their games are titled the story of seasons series nowadays.
No idea which nutjobs have been hired to continue the harvestmoon brand. But clearly they suck.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:24:49 pm »

Meh. I've seen a lot of great series ruined by their own creators. And I've also seen game series improve dramatically under new devs. Nothing I've seen come out of Story of Seasons looks particularly interesting. This game appears to have a wide cast of varied characters and mechanics, and significant story line, so I'm willing to give it a chance.

Aliemma

• Bay Watcher
  • Rejecting reality and substituting my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 09:44:23 pm »

Mayyybe. Admittedly, I haven't given the natsume Harvest Moon games a chance, and Story of Seasons does have its appeal to me, though it's been a lot harder for me to pick up, due to my bad habit of dropping games for a month or two. The old Harvest Moon games I'd be able to figure out where I was in an in-game day, where as SoS took me several.

Basically, I'll give it a chance; probably not on launch though.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 05:36:38 pm »

Harvest Moon with mobile game graphics, the hell is this?

Good to know Harvest Moon is still being made and released on the PC, even. I can stand a lot of bad graphics, but the cellphone-game look instantly pisses and throws me off..  ::)
Hopefully it's good, though.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 09:35:54 pm »

So the guy I mentioned in the original post released a First 30 Minutes video and a two hour stream. This guy's easy to please and likes just about every game he plays.

The verdict? "It's BAD" and "See How BAD It Is LIVE!", respectively.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 10:09:53 pm »

I could see they even rolled back features so the gameplay would be similar to Stardew Valley. Meanwhile, Stardew Valley just released on the switch which i would be happy to repurchase and multiplayer is coming around the corner.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 11:49:09 pm »

So the guy I mentioned in the original post released a First 30 Minutes video and a two hour stream. This guy's easy to please and likes just about every game he plays.

You know, usually when someone rebuts/retorts almost every single dialog line in a video, I find that too forced/uninspired. But the frustration was palpable and that made it very funny!
- Don't you worry about it, because I have just the thing for you!
- Is it a better game? Because I'd love to play one right now.

Truly the fruit of a demonic ritual involving RPG Maker, 13 year old writers and mobile gaming.

PS: This kind of offends me (which happens maybe once every 3 years?), because I have very fond memories of HM. One of the first games I ever played (when I was around 7) and probably the one that made me go after more open-ended games. It's really a relief to know the original devs had no hands in this. Sad to see the name ruined though.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 11:53:57 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 12:07:15 am »

So the guy I mentioned in the original post released a 30 Minutes video and a two hour stream. This guy's easy to please and likes just about every game he plays.

His main problem with the game seemed to be the presence of a brief tutorial/introduction. I agree those things are annoying, but you really have to expect them in almost any game you start these days.
Aside from that, he complained about the controls before he actually figured out how they work, complained that the island was small despite there being a ton of places to unlock, complained that it was dark when it was raining, complained that he didn't have all the crops and animals unlocked within the first hour. He just seemed to be approaching the game with an overly cynical perspective that never really gave it a chance.

Also, I laughed when he asked the little girl for an ax and she responded 'Stranger Danger!'.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 04:36:55 am »

I thought his complaints regarding the tutorial were more about its length and implementation, not that it existed.

I also find complaining about non-obvious aspects to be perfectly okay. Non-exhaustive list of things that were either not or poorly explained:

• Magic item selection
  • Time being frozen for part of the tutorial ("Why's the game so dark?" If you don't pay attention to the clock, and why would you at this point, you won't notice it's frozen at 6 AM.)
  • Selling things. Most Harvest Moon games have a box to put things in. This one? Sell to the shady merchant, I guess?
  • Farm buildings. They're there and they mostly look okay. Why can't I enter them? When can I fix them?
  • Farm animals. I'm unaware of a previous Harvest Moon game wherein you can't immediately buy at least a few animals. Don't take this as an excuse to dogpile me - I'm sure there's probably one somewhere.
Pages: [1] 2